• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pin to drive

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Hello FORD Motor Company

If you read this forum please add the security feature of "Pin to drive" as an option only. If the owner does not want the feature then they don't enable it and all is good. But it may save some the heart ache and frustration of a stolen vehicle.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hello FORD Motor Company

If you read this forum please add the security feature of "Pin to drive" as an option only. If the owner does not want the feature then they don't enable it and all is good. But it may save some the heart ache and frustration of a stolen vehicle.
It already is this in the Mach-e. You can't set up a pin at all unless you set up phone-as-a-key and even if you do that, you don't need to set up the pin. Ours isn't set up.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It already is this in the Mach-e. You can't set up a pin at all unless you set up phone-as-a-key and even if you do that, you don't need to set up the pin. Ours isn't set up.
I think you're mixing things up.

The Mach-E allows you to setup a PIN/Password to allow you to drive without a fob/key, or without a PAAK (Phone As A Key).

The OP is asking for a PIN, optional, to prompt every time you use the vehicle, to prevent someone from cloning a FOB and stealing the vehicle.

OP, correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

OP
OP
Galactus55

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I think you're mixing things up.

The Mach-E allows you to setup a PIN/Password to allow you to drive without a fob/key, or without a PAAK (Phone As A Key).

The OP is asking for a PIN, optional, to prompt every time you use the vehicle, to prevent someone from cloning a FOB and stealing the vehicle.

OP, correct me if my understanding is incorrect.
RickLightning Yes you are correct. Just wanting 1 more layer of security. Using my phone as a key seems scary to me.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
RickLightning Yes you are correct. Just wanting 1 more layer of security. Using my phone as a key seems scary to me.
There is no reason to be afraid of using PAAK. That's because it doesn't work for so many. Buh, duh, boom!

I'm here all night folks!

Seriously, unless Ford figures out something different, if you rely on PAAK (i.e. travel without your FOB), and then find yourself stranded somewhere when you can't drive your car (and when the password also doesn't work), the only one you can blame is yourself - because you've been warned.

Sponsored

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
There is no reason to be afraid of using PAAK. That's because it doesn't work for so many. Buh, duh, boom!

I'm here all night folks!

Seriously, unless Ford figures out something different, if you rely on PAAK (i.e. travel without your FOB), and then find yourself stranded somewhere when you can't drive your car (and when the password also doesn't work), the only one you can blame is yourself - because you've been warned.
LOL, you aren't wrong here.

Personally, It has always worked for me. A couple of glitches here and there but I have never been locked out or prevented from driving away. I did get a faraday pouch from Amazon and keep the FOB in that inside the glove box. The only time I've used the FOB was when at the dealer for service tho.

I really think I'm one of the outliers as far as PAAK goes tho

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
LOL, you aren't wrong here.

Personally, It has always worked for me. A couple of glitches here and there but I have never been locked out or prevented from driving away. I did get a faraday pouch from Amazon and keep the FOB in that inside the glove box. The only time I've used the FOB was when at the dealer for service tho.

I really think I'm one of the outliers as far as PAAK goes tho
All the stories online scared us off of using PaaK completely. We set it up on my Wife's phone so she can pop the frunk remotely if desired (need to set it up for that Button to show up on Fordpass) but always bring the Fobs with us.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Pro and XLT cannot use paak....I still think there should be a pin to drive security feature added as an additional theft deterrent layer.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I did get a faraday pouch from Amazon and keep the FOB in that inside the glove box.
What is the reason for doing this? Is the idea being that the worst that happens is you break into the vehicle but you can drive home?

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium 4X, 2018 Ford F150xlt Sport
What is the reason for doing this? Is the idea being that the worst that happens is you break into the vehicle but you can drive home?
The door code will get me in the car. If, for some reason I forget the password to start the car I then have the FOB. Never had to do do this, so far.

The other reason is the Ford service dept cannot use your PAAK while they have it for service. Since I use PAAK exclusively I am likely to forget to bring the FOB for a service appointment. This way it's in the car and I don't have to go home to retrieve it.

Is this all absolutely necessary? Probably not ?‍♂

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Hello FORD Motor Company

I originally was going to say you don't need this with Phone as a Key because (hopefully) Phone as a Key is using strong Asymmetric Encryption. But then I thought more about this, and it is a really good idea.

It adds 2-Factor to your vehicle.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
What do you do about valet or other drivers? Can they be given a one time (limited time) pin?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
What do you do about valet or other drivers? Can they be given a one time (limited time) pin?
I personally don't use Valet (no where near me has that kind of service out where I live) and no one else needs to drive my truck........I would consider not giving the pin to my wife (I kid).

But good point nonetheless. What do you do about when you take it into the service dept and stuff like that? Temporary, time limited codes would solve that, but that's a lot more logic to add in. And if it's the Service Dept they would have to be able to be adjusted remotely. Say they need to keep it a few more days. I don't want to drive up there just to adjust time limits. Would be cool though if you could limit a "pin" to certain settings. Like Pin "1,2,3,4" cannot go faster than 25mph.

I guess you could give them your pin and then change it after whoever is using it is done with it. This is how I would expect them to roll out this feature. At least to start.

OP
OP
Galactus55

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I personally don't use Valet (no where near me has that kind of service out where I live) and no one else needs to drive my truck........I would consider not giving the pin to my wife (I kid).

But good point nonetheless. What do you do about when you take it into the service dept and stuff like that? Temporary, time limited codes would solve that, but that's a lot more logic to add in. And if it's the Service Dept they would have to be able to be adjusted remotely. Say they need to keep it a few more days. I don't want to drive up there just to adjust time limits. Would be cool though if you could limit a "pin" to certain settings. Like Pin "1,2,3,4" cannot go faster than 25mph.

I guess you could give them your pin and then change it after whoever is using it is done with it. This is how I would expect them to roll out this feature. At least to start.
Well if and when I use a Valet or the truck was in for service? I would just turn Drive to Pin off
Sponsored