• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 2015 SuperCab FX4, 2.7L Ecoboost
Occupation
Climate Aware Livin Coach
So, a key objective of getting my Lightning was/is to enjoy climate-freindly travels and off-road camping adventures with near zero GHG emissions. I plan to travel/live full time in my camping Lightning Overland Vehicle (hence my username: LOV), at lease during non-winter seasons, for a few years.

I am concerned of, wind resistance impact to range, weight, center of gravity, and floor plan, and standard energy systems of a standard height slide-in camper. So, I figured, the camper has to be a pop-up style shell so I can design/build-out the camper interior to my specs. Plus, I want to keep the tailgate, as a remote back door, back porch, an outback kitchen, etc, ...and I need to be able to carry my 73” tall string bass to Bluegrass and Folk festivals!

I considered many manufactures of pop-up truckcampers, and was looking at the Four Wheel Camper options such as their Project M. But, I wanted to have solid, or semi-solid walls on the Pop-up “tent” (due to potential restrictions of canvas based pop-up campers in certain bear and fire prone National Parks), so, I started discussions with ORU Designs USA, and ordered their Bruin model, which I expect to get delivery by the end of May! I really like the Barn Doors and the pop-up side doors offered by this brand.

My “internal build” is in design and procurement phase. It will have a minimalist indoor kitchen, seating/relaxing/working area, interior shower and toilet, and a sliding bed option so when camping I can stash my bass up on the overcab loft and pretty much use the entire cargo bed as my living space. (yes, in a pinch my bass fits inside the cab, I tested that before I bought my prior F150, but that would involve rearranging back seat gear…) I’m planning to remove the rear seats and

Plans so far include an “Eco Throne” dry toilet (by 4thDsolar) and chest fridge/freezer (likely a Truma C96DZ), electric hot water and induction cooktop will run off the Power Pro Onboard outlets.

Things I am still thinking about are:
  • Solar and Aux 12V batteries (do I really need them with the ER battery pack and Onboard Power?)
  • Winch and other recovery/safety gear?
  • Tire & Wheel upgrade?
  • Heating and air conditioning (I will use a small 120V heater, and roof fan at first)?
  • Should I ship from San Marcos CA to Eastern PA, or drive 2,700 mies to pick-up? (I’m leaning to the shipping option!), and...
  • What's the best use of my Frunk?
So, like user @Oneand0, I will provide updates here on my camper adventure as my LOVing dreams are realized!
Sponsored

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hi, thanks Grumpy 2, good question.

Yes, I had been considering Alaska and was impressed with thier campers, and I know they have a loyal following. The hard side pop-up is really what I was looking for, and their full height door is very cool.

But, it was primarily the weight - Wet Weight at 1550 lbs - that was the fatal flaw. I weigh in at about 160 pounds, that would leave me only 92 pounds allowance for gear with the Lariat ER's max payload at 1802 pounds. I also did not want the extra foot hanging of the back, as I would loose my tailgate, and the cost was almost 2X what I’m planning.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Pretty exciting, we are both getting our campers in May! You sound like you have really thought it out on the customization and you will be living out of yours. My first big trip will be to Grand Teton National park in late June and camping in Montana in late August, with some smaller trips around the Eastern Sierras near my home.

You have so much battery power, I would wait to get solar panels for the top of the camper, to see if you really need, or want them. I would definitely have it shipped unless you're up for that kind of travel with it from the start. Once I test the mileage with the camper on and factory tires and wheels, then I will look into either upgrading both, or just the tires, depending on the range I get with the factory.

Congratulations on your order and upcoming adventures!

Reactions: LOV

DennisM1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD; 2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Attorney
We have a Lariat ER with an OVRLND popup camper bolted to the bed rails. We have about 7500 of our 11000 miles with the camper on. We also installed a Colorado Fairings air dam on it. We are at 2.0 miles per kwH after 11000 miles. The OVRLND only weighs a little over 350 pounds and with the two of us, our 60 pound dog, our interior buildout and all our gear we still are under the rated payload by about 300 pounds. You really don’t notice the camper much at all with the power and torque of the Lightning. We have done multiple long camping trips and are very happy with this setup.

Sponsored

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
Something to keep in mind that you may have already considered is that if you want to use 120V via ProPower then the truck has to be "on". When the truck is on it consumes at least 400W on average, depending on outdoor temperature, even without cabin HVAC on. That's 7.3% of your battery gone every day without even factoring in the power requirements of the things you're plugging in.

To overcome this when camping I use a 120V portable battery. It's 500W but maybe you need more. Then I only need to turn the truck on for an hour or 2 each day to charge that battery back up. I usually coincide that with needing to use higher power / 240V devices like my induction cooker.

How many days / miles do you plan to stay without access to an EV charger?

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My first big trip will be to Grand Teton National park in late June and camping in Montana in late August, with some smaller trips around the Eastern Sierras near my home.

You have so much battery power, I would wait to get solar panels for the top of the camper, to see if you really need, or want them.

Once I test the mileage with the camper on and factory tires and wheels, then I will look into either upgrading both, or just the tires, depending on the range I get with the factory.
Those sound like great trips Mario. I love the Eastern Sierras and my plans include some off road camping adventures there too. I hope my rig can handle the jeep trails around Baker Creek.

I agree, wait and see how it goes without solar.

I really appreciate learning people’s experience with range with campers and off-road configurations. Planning “fuel” use for our EV’s is key. Not saying I’m anxious; but, we all now the 5 P’s (proper planning prevents piss poor performance) and how important this will be with our Lightnings to be safe when remote off-roading.

Can’t wait for more stories of EV off-roading!

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
ProPower: When the truck is on it consumes at least 400W on average, depending on outdoor temperature, even without cabin HVAC on.

To overcome this when camping I use a 120V portable battery.

How many days / miles do you plan to stay without access to an EV charger?
Good points Pete. Yes, I have been considering that full time reliance on ProPower may present some challenges; like, I read in the forums that it turns off after 30 minutes. So heating overnight with a small electric heater may not work… but hey, that's what sleeping bags are for, right?

I also may get one of those portable battery/inverter systems to run my camping “appliances”. It sounds like a good way to save miles for the trip out/to get to next charger. If I do, it will be one that can charge via solar (i’m still researching these). I like your approach to use limited ProPower to recharge it, that's range frugal!

I’m thinking I may stay out a week at a time, 2 weeks would be fantastic. As far as miles, I’m hoping I can do up to 100 miles round trip off road, off course that will depend on distance from charge location to trail head… I think there will be plenty of potential trips in the Sierra’s with the ER range.

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I read in the forums that it turns off after 30 minutes
That is an easy setting to turn off. When ProPower is on you can instead set a minimum number of miles to empty where the truck will turn off when it hits that. This is on the ProPower app in the truck.

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
We have a Lariat ER with an OVRLND popup camper bolted to the bed rails. We have about 7500 of our 11000 miles with the camper on. We also installed a Colorado Fairings air dam on it. We are at 2.0 miles per kwH after 11000 miles. The OVRLND only weighs a little over 350 pounds and with the two of us, our 60 pound dog, our interior buildout and all our gear we still are under the rated payload by about 300 pounds. You really don’t notice the camper much at all with the power and torque of the Lightning. We have done multiple long camping trips and are very happy with this setup.
Dennis, your rig sounds great. I looked at OVRLND too; but, the 6 month delivery and other factors kept me looking. Thanks for confirming your 2.0 MPK and success with long camping trips! I’m looking for wind deflectors/fairings too and will check out Colorado Fairings. Happy Travels!

Sponsored

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I just got a Colorado Fairing on my GoFast Camper this week. Already seeing a little better mileage, though that could be the warmer weather, too.

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning 20230327-IMG_2354

Ford F-150 Lightning Planning a 100% fossil fuel-free overland camper adventure in my Lightning 20230327-IMG_2355

DennisM1

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD; 2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Attorney
We just returned from a 3700 mile trip with our Lightning equipped with an OVRLND pop up camper and Colorado Fairing. We averaged 1.7 miles per kWH for the entire trip. We had a lot of cold temperatures and strong headwinds. When going 65 mph into strong headwinds at cold temps we saw as low as 1.4 miles per kWH and about 150 miles of range with our Lariat ER. In Southern Utah with lower speeds and warmer temperatures we had multiple days with 2.5 to 3 miles per kWH. Speed, temperature and headwinds really matter and you have to watch your charging distances carefully. We charged overnight at multiple camping spots with the mobile connector which works well, although faster at some sites than others. Electrify America still needs work with multiple sites having some chargers down and some with slow charging rates. ChargePoint 50kW chargers don’t seem to get along well. It took many tries to get connection with the two we used and customer support was no help. We didn’t get stranded but it was very close at one ChargePoint site where it took a dozen attempts to connect. Electrify America customer service has improved since our last trip but each site seems to have one or more chargers down or very slow charging rates.

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I just got a Colorado Fairing on my GoFast Camper this week. Already seeing a little better mileage, though that could be the warmer weather, too.
Nice looking rig with that fairing David. Looks perfectly sized to work with the moving moon roof, and its effectiveness is great to hear.

OP
OP

LOV

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
We just returned from a 3700 mile trip with our Lightning equipped with an OVRLND pop up camper and Colorado Fairing. We averaged 1.7 miles per kWH for the entire trip. ….
Thanks for the detailed report of your long EV camping trip Dennis. Good input for Lightning w/ an over-cab camping rig range expectations - and the need to plan and allow for actual conditions. Also appreciate your charging experience on a long trip road trip.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator

20230327-IMG_2354.jpg

20230327-IMG_2355.jpg
I am about to order one of these for my camper I’m going to pick up in a week and half. Your setup looks awesome!
Sponsored