• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Platinum Vs Lariat - Actual Interior Difference

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Hello all!

First post here. Long time F150 fan and EV fan! Been waiting for an EV f150 ever since they announced a partnership with Toyota about 10 years back for a mechanical battery hybrid (remember that!). Still miss my 2011 XLT. Currently drive a Performance Model 3 I have put a bit over 80k miles on.

We placed our order and have a 5/2 build date for a Lariat.

Looking at all things considered, we said no to the Platinum because the value wasn't there for us. Massaging seats are nice, but we had them in the past and didn't really use them. The Unleashed sound system was a huge plus for me, but not worth the price difference. 22" rims are a HUGE con. Lariat I added Max Tow. Also, I didn't like the badge image of a Platinum.

That being said, I keep having the nagging feeling of the interior. The rims I could swap with someone to alleviate that concern. I really want that sound system and if the interior is that much nicer, it may sway me.

Thus the question - how much nicer is the interior and what is the actual difference?! I looked (reviews of F150, forums, pictures) all over and everyone says "it's much nicer" and there is better leather and chrome. But I really cannot find any list of the differences and pictures online are hard to tell; no local dealers have both a Lariat and Platinum.

This what are the actual differences besides nicer leather and massaging seats (which if course are not but won't sway me)? Are the doors leather wrapped compared to lariat? Is the dash leather extended further compared to Lariat? Are the plastics better? Does anyone have list or can point me to the tangible differences?

If it is that much nicer, and I can get the Unleashed sound, it may sway me.... If I am spending this much on a truck and another 10% makes the interior a different class, then it's worth it.

Thank you all!
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I feel like this is something you would have to experience in person to know if it's really worth it to you.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Hello all!

First post here. Long time F150 fan and EV fan! Been waiting for an EV f150 ever since they announced a partnership with Toyota about 10 years back for a mechanical battery hybrid (remember that!). Still miss my 2011 XLT. Currently drive a Performance Model 3 I have put a bit over 80k miles on.

We placed our order and have a 5/2 build date for a Lariat.

Looking at all things considered, we said no to the Platinum because the value wasn't there for us. Massaging seats are nice, but we had them in the past and didn't really use them. The Unleashed sound system was a huge plus for me, but not worth the price difference. 22" rims are a HUGE con. Lariat I added Max Tow. Also, I didn't like the badge image of a Platinum.

That being said, I keep having the nagging feeling of the interior. The rims I could swap with someone to alleviate that concern. I really want that sound system and if the interior is that much nicer, it may sway me.

Thus the question - how much nicer is the interior and what is the actual difference?! I looked (reviews of F150, forums, pictures) all over and everyone says "it's much nicer" and there is better leather and chrome. But I really cannot find any list of the differences and pictures online are hard to tell; no local dealers have both a Lariat and Platinum.

This what are the actual differences besides nicer leather and massaging seats (which if course are not but won't sway me)? Are the doors leather wrapped compared to lariat? Is the dash leather extended further compared to Lariat? Are the plastics better? Does anyone have list or can point me to the tangible differences?

If it is that much nicer, and I can get the Unleashed sound, it may sway me.... If I am spending this much on a truck and another 10% makes the interior a different class, then it's worth it.

Thank you all!
My understanding is that if you have a build week, you are locked in and cannot make changes such as going from one trim level to another. If you are wanting to make that change, I hope I am wrong.

As far as looking at trim differences, I would go to your dealer and look at new Lariats and Platinums for a frame of reference. They will not be exact, but hopefully will provide you with an idea of the differences in quality of materials used.

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel like this is something you would have to experience in person to know if it's really worth it to you.
Would love too! But haven't been able too :(

I just would love a tactile list of the differences... In BMW world, there is premium interior-type packages and they kait what you get - typically listing leather dash, better knobs, etc. If the difference really is just nicer wood trim and better leather, but all other touch points are the same, it's not worth it to me.

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My understanding is that if you have a build week, you are locked in and cannot make changes such as going from one trim level to another. If you are wanting to make that change, I hope I am wrong.

As far as looking at trim differences, I would go to your dealer and look at new Lariats and Platinums for a frame of reference. They will not be exact, but hopefully will provide you with an idea of the differences in quality of materials used.
I appreciate the feedback!

I would love to sit in a dealer, but no local ones have a Lariat and a Platinum around me :( Always seems to be one or the other, or the other truck is in transit.

I have had luxury cars and understand the benefits of the nicer leather, but really looking to see if any other touch points or trim pieces are nicer. Descriptions of the package are very general marketing and not tactile. My 2011 F150, being older and an XLT had plenty of plastic. Was in a last gen Lariat few months back, and still lots of plastic. Not sure if the new-gen Lariats eliminate a lot of the hard touch points, if the Platinum does, or if those are still their in both trucks.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
You originally chose the Lariat for the same reasons I did (smaller wheels, lack of stuffy "platinum" badging, lower cost). I did option for the ER battery, max tow, and star white paint though. This is the first vehicle I've bought that was not the highest trim level available so it feels a bit strange, but I think the premium for Ford's top of the line on the Lightning is just fleecing people for an extra $10k. It feels like less money when you consider it a percentage of the truck purchase, but if you think about what else you could get with $10k, it is a lot of money!

I think the interior is just different; it does not appear to be objectively better. Looking at the 360 views on the configurator, these are the changes I could see on the Platinum vs. Lariat:

- Seat leather panels with higher contrast white vs. grey
- Silver-ish plastic dash panels vs. black
- Platinum badges on armrest + seats vs. no badge
- Black door panels w/stripe vs. contrasting gray
- Floormats with constrasting white stripe vs. (no floormats?)
- Black trim piece on front door interior panel vs. silver

People seem to like the Unleashed system, but with the huge price premium you can do better with aftermarket equipment for less $$. Yeah, you won't have the additional gimmicky speakers on the ceiling and headrests, but I promise you won't miss them when you have a set of high end 3-way components up front, a tuned DSP, and a much more powerful subwoofer (or two)!

Upholstery is also something that can be addressed aftermarket for a couple thousand bucks, though I would be careful with resale value.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Would love too! But haven't been able too :(

I just would love a tactile list of the differences... In BMW world, there is premium interior-type packages and they kait what you get - typically listing leather dash, better knobs, etc. If the difference really is just nicer wood trim and better leather, but all other touch points are the same, it's not worth it to me.

Understood, it's tough to find the time to go see the trucks. I had a spot at the Gillette demo day in October but it was on a Monday and work stuff got in the way. I wouldn't expect that Ford's Platinum trim quality compares to what you'd get in a European car but I can't say I know for sure. My 911 has the full leather interior package, it's freaking beautiful but I don't know if I'd want it in a utilitarian vehicle. I'd prefer more durable materials. I've never been big on paying extra for cosmetic touches, either, so I have a clear bias on this issue.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Welcome, fellow mass member!!

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You originally chose the Lariat for the same reasons I did (smaller wheels, lack of stuffy "platinum" badging, lower cost). I did option for the ER battery, max tow, and star white paint though. This is the first vehicle I've bought that was not the highest trim level available so it feels a bit strange, but I think the premium for Ford's top of the line on the Lightning is just fleecing people for an extra $10k. It feels like less money when you consider it a percentage of the truck purchase, but if you think about what else you could get with $10k, it is a lot of money!

I think the interior is just different; it does not appear to be objectively better. Looking at the 360 views on the configurator, these are the changes I could see on the Platinum vs. Lariat:

- Black trim piece on front door interior panel vs. silver

People seem to like the Unleashed system, but with the huge price premium you can do better with aftermarket equipment for less $$. Yeah, you won't have the additional gimmicky speakers on the ceiling and headrests, but I promise you won't miss them when you have a set of high end 3-way components up front, a tuned DSP, and a much more powerful subwoofer (or two)!

Upholstery is also something that can be addressed aftermarket for a couple thousand bucks, though I would be careful with resale value.
I never said thank you, so thank you!

I've done plenty 3rd party sound systems in the past. Man did I love it and they sounded great, but phew what effort lol. Love the system in my Model 3 honestly. And for the seat leather, I think we will be happy, it's dark and after the white in the 3 it will be an adjustment:). I really want to avoid the hard plastic where possible.

I had a good laugh at some of the speaker placement, you are right that some are gimmicky for sure. The headrest speakers had me thinking Fiero :)

Thus after watching videos, and adding to your list, I think the changes are:
- Alcantara piece on front door interior panel vs. silver
- Dark wood trim vs lighter
- Extended leather on door
- Leather on dash

Some of the extended leather us nice, but right you said, not worth $10k.

Understood, it's tough to find the time to go see the trucks. I had a spot at the Gillette demo day in October but it was on a Monday and work stuff got in the way. I wouldn't expect that Ford's Platinum trim quality compares to what you'd get in a European car but I can't say I know for sure. My 911 has the full leather interior package, it's freaking beautiful but I don't know if I'd want it in a utilitarian vehicle. I'd prefer more durable materials. I've never been big on paying extra for cosmetic touches, either, so I have a clear bias on this issue.
The reason I couldn't see the trucks is no local dealers had stock to look at :(

The Gillette demo day was a blast!

Regarding leather, completely agreed. Not expecting German levels, but would love to avoid hard plastics where possible :) Happy with my Lariat choice!
Welcome, fellow mass member!!
Thank you!

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Somehow I don't have a picture of the finished stereo in my 2011 XLT.... But best I could find; man have cellphone cameras come a long way. You cannot see the 3rd amp (sub) and cap to the right.
Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum Vs Lariat - Actual Interior Difference DSC_0172

That system came out so good and sounded amazing!

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Somehow I don't have a picture of the finished stereo in my 2011 XLT.... But best I could find; man have cellphone cameras come a long way. You cannot see the 3rd amp (sub) and cap to the right.
DSC_0172.jpg

That system came out so good and sounded amazing!
Nice. I am already researching what I can do for the Lightning's stereo. Part of me is glad that I can now afford to do good equipment and not use chopped up extension cords for power/ground/turn-on, but another part of me says my standards now exceed my skills and I should have a good shop do at least the hard parts of the install.

As a lot of the reviewers have said, the Lariat seems to be the sweet spot for features and price, so I also feel like I've chosen wisely.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
So, when are we having the Mass Lightning Owners meetup? I’m definitely bringing the Lightning to a Cars & Coffee. :)

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I'm going Platinum because my wife said any truck we get would have to have massage seats. I won't argue with her approval to buy a Lightning.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Last edited: