• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
The first Tesla magic dock supercharger on Long Island went online this morning . I decided to give it a go and also post some pictures of what I believe to be the most polite places to park your car and charge in this scenario.

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5105

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5112

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5113

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5101

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5111
Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Thanks. I hadn't seen anyone actually try to use the "pull in" Supercharger, so it's nice to see that it works, albeit with the truck sticking out some.

OP
OP
ChrisCon

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. I hadn't seen anyone actually try to use the "pull in" Supercharger, so it's nice to see that it works, albeit with the truck sticking out some.
Yes and as you can tell in this photo, I made absolutely no attempt to park well .. I think if I had gotten closer to the curb, I could have easily pulled up a little further.

Some notes:
- The first two attempts ended in charge faults because I believe I pushed the button on the charging cable down as I put the connector in .
- This was installed in a relatively depressed area where I was very surprised there was even a Tesla supercharger. If I had to speculate, this may be a very low use supercharger.
-I drove over there with a pretty high SOC, but the charge rate was around 50kwh where I would typically see 80kwh at 80-89% with an Electrify America. Will have to try it again with a lower SOC.
- I charge at home, but I would not use this particular charger if I didn't have a home charger because it's .51 kwh while the EA station is .48kwh (2 miles away as the crow flies )and the EA Evolve (EA stations installed by the state of New York) is only .35kwh (all non member prices)..

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Looks like you could have pulled into the actual parking space for that charger since it has spacing on both sides. But I don't think anyone would care if you did it this way. And this would be my approach for most Tesla locations -- head all the way to the right and park how I needed to In order to use that one so as not to obstruct any other chargers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Yes and as you can tell in this photo, I made absolutely no attempt to park well .. I think if I had gotten closer to the curb, I could have easily pulled up a little further.

Some notes:
- The first two attempts ended in charge faults because I believe I pushed the button on the charging cable down as I put the connector in .
- This was installed in a relatively depressed area where I was very surprised there was even a Tesla supercharger. If I had to speculate, this may be a very low use supercharger.
-I drove over there with a pretty high SOC, but the charge rate was around 50kwh where I would typically see 80kwh at 80-89% with an Electrify America. Will have to try it again with a lower SOC.
- I charge at home, but I would not use this particular charger if I didn't have a home charger because it's .51 kwh while the EA station is .48kwh (2 miles away as the crow flies )and the EA Evolve (EA stations installed by the state of New York) is only .35kwh (all non member prices)..
Just to point out (you indicated that these were non-member prices):

That 48cent rate at EA becomes 36 cents after paying $4 a month for Pass+. Upgrade the morning of a trip, then downgrade right away and it takes effect 30 days later. You'll justify the $4 on the second charge.

Tesla has dynamic pricing, charges $12.99 per month for up to 12 cents lower, no idea if you can upgrade and then downgrade.

I would expect EA Evolve to go up at some point soon.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisCon

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just to point out (you indicated that these were non-member prices):

That 48cent rate at EA becomes 36 cents after paying $4 a month for Pass+. Upgrade the morning of a trip, then downgrade right away and it takes effect 30 days later. You'll justify the $4 on the second charge.

Tesla has dynamic pricing, charges $12.99 per month for up to 12 cents lower, no idea if you can upgrade and then downgrade.

I would expect EA Evolve to go up at some point soon.
Yes, I'm a member of EA Pass+ . It absolutely makes sense because I inevitably need to charge at DC fast charger 3-4 times a month if I forget to plug in the night before or a have a major day of driving from location to location. I'd almost call it best practices for most people to be a member there. The Tesla program, with the higher cost to be a member means, I'm not sure I can justify that for most use cases. I also threw Evolve in there, because previously there was no reason to use them, but now we are seeing price parity without a membership since Evolve gave no discounts for being an EA member.. Also, as far as I can tell, there isn't dynamic pricing for Non-teslas yet as part of their membership.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Looks like you could have pulled into the actual parking space for that charger since it has spacing on both sides. But I don't think anyone would care if you did it this way. And this would be my approach for most Tesla locations -- head all the way to the right and park how I needed to In order to use that one so as not to obstruct any other chargers.
Yeah, with parking spots on both sides (I've never seen this before, in person, at a Supercharger), he probably could have pulled straight in and charged without messing anything up IF he could pull far enough forward. Hard to say if that would have been feasible or not. Would be tight.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The first Tesla magic dock supercharger on Long Island went online this morning . I decided to give it a go and also post some pictures of what I believe to be the most polite places to park your car and charge in this scenario.

IMG_5105.jpeg

IMG_5112.jpeg

IMG_5113.jpeg

IMG_5101.jpeg

IMG_5111.png
Unfortunately people will likely complain that stupid Ford truck owner doesn't know how to park inside the lines.

WRSNH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you use a Tesla app for authorization/payment when charging at a supercharger? Trying to get ready!

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChrisCon

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do you use a Tesla app for authorization/payment when charging at a supercharger? Trying to get ready!
Yes.. You use the Tesla app. Basically all you need to do is download the app, create an account, and add a method of payment. I now have 9 different apps on my phone just for different charging networks and scenarios.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
For now, yes.

I think *technically* for Tesla to get the federal funding, they will have to offer a non-app payment option (there was a single kiosk spotted at a Supercharge station recently), but the app normally works quite well, so I would plan to use that.

Jimbalf

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
The Magic Dock site east of Ft Worth has a pull through charger on the end of the line. Perfect for me.

Ford F-150 Lightning Polite and Easy ways to charge at Tesla Superchargers IMG_5209

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
The Magic Dock site east of Ft Worth has a pull through charger on the end of the line. Perfect for me.

IMG_5209.jpeg
It looks like you can even steal the cord form 4D if you wanted..you know to save space on the other side of the one using for another Lightning owner.
Sponsored