• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

POLL: Battery induced Fire on 2/4 = Stop Production. Are you parking outside tonight?

Are you parking outside now?

• Total voters
OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
A very small % of EVs catch fire. In my opinion if you are not ok with that risk you should not buy an EV. There is a reason they don't allow lithium batteries in checked baggage. No need for the drama queens.
I guess I don’t look at this as an EV or an ICE vehicle thing. I look at it purely as a 1 in 20,000 F150 lightnings have started on fire early on in in the production of said, vehicle. I have not analyzed whether 1 in 20,000 is a big or little risk compared to other items in life. I need to do a little research, but I sure as hell I’m not gonna trust some corporate bureaucrat to tell me it’s safe.

my guess is you guys are right and compared to other items in every day life it is very little risk, but based on the circumstances, which is very little sacrifice of just parking outside for more data to come in vs the overall risk of property and my childrens lives, I’m gonna take a few days and analyze the situation
Sponsored

OP
OP
luebri

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
That article reads exactly like someone who has a position in F they are unhappy with. Seriously questionable opinion piece.
Very true… Most market articles are but to your point is there anyone with F stock that is happy right now?

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Very true… Most market articles are but to your point is there anyone with F stock that is happy right now?
Fair point. I’m certainly not, though that could be said of most of my positions at present.

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I daily'd a 1988 Crown Victoria for years through undergrad, it would leak oil from the valve covers onto the exhaust manifold. It always smoked a little, not to mention not having catalytic converters with turn down exhaust tips to pool everything under your seat. I still have her, she's in the garage on jack stands while I work on some issues. I feel so much safer in the Lightning than some of my previous choices of vehicles (not even mentioning motorcycles!).

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
- Yes, I have indoor parking available buts it’s a full size truck and you always park actual trucks outside.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
Ford kind of lost a lot of faith in me when they categorized this as "discovering a potential battery issue during pre-delivery checks.".

I don't know about you but a vehicle starting on fire is not "a potential battery issue", and is extremely misleading and slimy to frame it as such.

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I'm more concerned about my Ipad battery left in my house overnight.

lightning lift.jpg
Very cool . I like how the truck looks like it’s barely an inch off the ceiling . Also , the f150 logo on the lift - is that a decal or does this company make that lift specially for the f150?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Very cool . I like how the truck looks like it’s barely an inch off the ceiling . Also , the f150 logo on the lift - is that a decal or does this company make that lift specially for the f150?
Those look like the letters you would stick on the tailgate.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
I choose not to live life shaking in my boots about the possibility that something bad may happen. But then there is being prudent, too, with anything electrical. I usually only charge to about 90%, (and barely ever on fast chargers); probably good charging practice like that is all that is needed to allay the vast majority of even rare problems. And fortunately, Ford seems to have a diagnostic routine to check for bad battery pouches, because they have been notifying people to get them replaced, and setting up the appt and shipping the parts ahead of time.

That being said, I charge outside on my RV pedestal. Or at work, outside. If I had 3 kids sleeping over the garage, I'd be charging outside, then, too, regardless of this new concern.

It seems pretty unlikely that a home charger other than the FCSP (80A), could overheat the battery enough to cause a fire, from what I have read. People are MUCH more likely to cause a house fire if their charge circuit is not wired especially for RV use or EV charging. Even on my RV 50 amp circuit, I only charge at 32 amps, to keep from overheating the circuit, the breakers, and the breaker box. At 32A, those 2 breakers are 77F, while the ones around them are 69F. Lots of energy in EV charging. Is why am waiting for my FCSP to get installed by my solar company, on a separate circuit/subpanel.

Not to mention, that far more fires are caused by space heaters and extension cords than anything else electric.

Last edited:

kenyonsalo30

First Name
Kenyon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Explorer Plati , 2020 E63 AMG, 2021 GLE AMG
Occupation
Real Estate
Those look like the letters you would stick on the tailgate.
yes...the F150 decals are the tailgate stickers. The blue tape on the posts , when matched up, leave one inch to ceiling
Sponsored