• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Portable Gas Generator to Charge the Lightning?

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
Can you charge the Lightning with a portable gas generator? If you were going on a road trip where there are no chargers could you bring a portable gas generator and charge the lightening with the 240 plug on the generator?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Can you charge the Lightning with a portable gas generator? If you were going on a road trip where there are no chargers could you bring a portable gas generator and charge the lightening with the 240 plug on the generator?
Depends on the generator, you need a higher quality one that produces clean enough power.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
33.7kWh in a gallon of gas. But generator might be 20% efficient at converting to electricity. So might need 20 gallons to refill a ER from empty. 1.5 gallons for every 10 driving miles.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Short answer is yes.

Longer answer is that it probably would not charge all that quickly, and would be inefficient.

Hopefully Ford builds, and has dealers rent out these:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34277725/ford-f-150-range-extender-ev-pickup-patent/

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
That’s just a patent for a really expensive portable generator.
Yep. The difference is that this would be fitted to the bed, and be able to charge the vehicle while in motion. I doubt you can charge the lightning in motion via any other means than a custom designed generator.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
any way that you can produce electricity, you can charge an electric vehicle, although VERY slowly, VERY inefficiently, and very COSTLY. I really makes very LITTLE sense, though I understand the 'range anxiety, and the thought of arriving somewhere that was 'supposed' to have power options, but does not.
yes, having traveled in a motorhome for several years, all over the u.s. and canada, and having to deal with times when it seems that there was just NO option to do anything other than run a loud and expensive generator, I get where you are coming from.
A simple household outlet can charge your truck. You'll just need several hours to then realize that it has only added 5 miles.
A 240v outlet, like a clothes dryer uses, can charge it many times over FASTER than the regular outlet, yet those are not likely to be found easily out in the 'wild' while traveling.

These questions are the basis for many to be very hesitant to even consider owning an EV, no matter what brand or model. You have to realize that no matter what, there is no answer to 'every' situation, even though your mind tends to put that one at the top of the list of what could 'happen',
however unlikely.
People still continue to run out of gas, when there are gas stations on almost every corner of this world.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
33.7kWh in a gallon of gas. But generator might be 20% efficient at converting to electricity. So might need 20 gallons to refill a ER from empty. 1.5 gallons for every 10 driving miles.
I don’t think most portable generators would approach 20% efficiency. It gets even worse at partial load.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Yep. The difference is that this would be fitted to the bed, and be able to charge the vehicle while in motion. I doubt you can charge the lightning in motion via any other means than a custom designed generator.
Sure, but it's only because Ford locks the capability so they can sell a generator at 300% markup.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech

Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Sure, but it's only because Ford locks the capability so they can sell a generator at 300% markup.
I expect that a charge-while-driving generator has a bit more electronics in it than average. Probably still hackable though.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Don't get me wrong. I love the concept but it would've been nice if they left the capability open.

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
one thing I learned over in Mach-E land is that RV campgrounds regularly offer NEMA 14-50 outlets so that RVs can connect to get "shore power"... if you bring your mobile charger, and call ahead to RV campgrounds, you're likely to find some that will be happy to take a reasonably small amount of money for you to sit at a site for a few hours to charge.

see for example

Campground Charging--as a last resort | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

and

Are we in the Golden Age of electric cars | Page 2 | MachEforum - Ford Mustang Mach-E Forum, News, Owners, Discussions

I realize this is not the original question asked, but I'm thinking along the lines of "what might lead to this question".

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There are plenty of web videos on people trying to charge their cars on a generator. I played with my car and generator and evse that has a twist lock for generator but keep having a fault even after the neutral to common plug gizmo. Might have to actually attach a ground to the generator (like we are supposed to) to get it to work.

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I managed to run out of electricity AND gas one time in my Volt. It actually lets you run for a bit on the “depleted” battery after you run out of gas, but apparently not that far.
Sponsored