• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powered cooler vs mini-fridge?

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I plan on camping a lot with my lightning, as well as potential tailgating. I've been looking at powered coolers, but I also realized that just buying a dorm size mini-fridge would be a whole lot cheaper and probably be just as easy. Has anyone else been considering this? It seems like they are front access vs top, and they only run on 120v instead of having an option for dc power (but that's not important with the lightning), but the cooler might have more insulation and use less power.

I think the top access might also mean the powered cooler is shorter, which would fit securely under a bed cover.. However with either I could probably just keep it in the garage plugged in ready to go whenever it was needed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
My concerns with the mini-fridge would be:
- The durability of the compressor running while the Lightning was in motion.
- The ability of the mini-fridge to operate when it is in a hot vehicle. Parked in the sun it could easily reach the 120's or hotter and that may fry an undersized compressor.
- Same problem with cold temperatures. I always unplug my outdoor kitchen refrigerator in the winter as refrigerators are not designed to operate when the temperature drops into the mid-30's.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Mini Fridge compressor and the Freon may not be designed to work reliably in a moving platform.

Bumps, and lean angles while plugged in may shorter the life of the unit.

Your always supposed to rest a regular fridge for a couple of hours, if moved or tipped over, before you plug it in.

I'd look at an RV fridge or the power cooler designs over the mini fridge.

OP
OP

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
thanks for the feedback. I think one other consideration is that some of the powered coolers can swap back and forth between fridge and freezer, or have two zones larger than the tiny one most mini-fridges have.

Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
This thread has me imagining possibilities. I just saw today a pretty good deal on this powered cooler. I can’t wait to go spoiled-camping in my truck.

OP
OP

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
those both look like good options. They are just 3x the price of a basic mini-fridge, but will also probably be better in the long run.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The powered coolers can be used as a refrigerator or freezer which is nice, but otherwise they really aren't materially different than a mini fridge other than the orientation of the lid, some handles, the size, and the price. Both use compressors and a liquid refrigerant, so the same rules apply for extreme temperatures and tipping over (though if you tip it over, your truck likely has bigger problems). I would not run either in the frunk unless the frunk was open.

There are also thermoelectric coolers that have no compressor, but they are very inefficient, often have loud fans, and only cool to about 40 degrees below ambient temperature. You'd also want to put your drinks/food in pre-chilled. They do have an advantage as they can be run in reverse to keep things about 40 degrees warmer than ambient if you want to keep a pile of burritos warm. :)

For tailgating I still think a standard cooler with some ice is the best idea. Even hardcore tailgaters are only going to be there for a few hours, and you presumably are going to start cooking right away.

For camping it would be nice to keep food (eggs, bacon, burgers, dogs, coffee creamer) in a mini fridge since you'll be on location far longer than a tailgate (at least overnight), and you can keep your beer/drinks in a cooler with ice where temperature isn't as critical.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I'm thinking of the same options, and have no problem with a very short 'mini fridge' in the Frunk, just gotta make sure it fits, but otherwise the movement during travel should not be an issue.... I would like this as a better option to our camper's RV 3-way fridge, which is just as small, and takes FOREVER to get down to temp...

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
I was going for a Dometic but the cost is nuts. Ended up finding ICECO and it’s amazing. Same compressor as Dometic but tuff and good looking. The ability to run on DC and AC helps.
Ford F-150 Lightning Powered cooler vs mini-fridge? AB2F9756-862C-4CAB-9BBF-ABCEE9870373

Sponsored

bg226

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I think I like the standard cooler option for a tailgate. Sometimes parking before games sucks and I can't park where the party is, so having a mobile cooler is essential.

OP
OP

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I think for multi-day camping trips where you don't have access to ice a powered cooler would be ideal. I would be wary of putting one in the frunk, since it has to give off heat in order to cool the inside.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I didn't realize they are putting compressors in "coolers" now. I thought these powered coolers were all running on thermoelectric cooling. I have to assume a cooler with a compressor is going to be designed to be more durable than a mini-fridge. It's probably a better option although a thermoelectric cooler will be the most durable.
Sponsored