• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powering a single home circuit from the Lightning (such as a gas furnace blower) using EZ Generator Switch

Acacia1731

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning pro
I'm now running my gas furnace (blower, etc.) from the F150 Lightning!

Whole house power was beyond my budget, but the EZ Generator Switch seems to work well to back up targeted circuits.

The setup is shown below and used one of the truck's 110V outlets. I ran a two hour test with no issues, using around 2% of the SR battery with a near-constant 660W load (truck in the garage @ 49 deg F). It's not fancy, but for less than $200 and a few extension cords, I can now keep my house warm and my fridge cold for a few days if needed.

Note, their instructions describe a few different connection options (bonded vs floating neutral). A rep from the company and some other posts here helped me confirm that the F150 Lightning uses "bonded neutral @ equipment, switching neutrals".

Ford F-150 Lightning Powering a single home circuit from the Lightning (such as a gas furnace blower) using EZ Generator Switch 2022-11-22_0-24-54
Ford F-150 Lightning Powering a single home circuit from the Lightning (such as a gas furnace blower) using EZ Generator Switch IMG_8956.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Note, their instructions describe a few different connection options (bonded vs floating neutral). A rep from the company and some other posts here helped me confirm that the F150 Lightning uses "bonded neutral @ equipment, switching neutrals".

2022-11-22_0-24-54.jpg
Can you provide copy of those different connection options instructions for bonded vs. floating neutral?

OP
OP

Acacia1731

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lightning pro
Can you provide copy of those different connection options instructions for bonded vs. floating neutral?
I’m not sure if it’s OK to post copies of their materials, but they have how-to videos on their web site that basically show the same things.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
I am going to install the Reliance Control Corporation WKPBN30 Portable Generator Through-The-Wall PWR Transfer Kit, EMW3790037 https://a.co/9eGsDWe . Six 120Vac circuits from the 240V, 30A circuit in the pickup bed (if one has the 9.6kW option). I just got a 25ft twist-lock extension cord, and now I have to practice backing up to the house up our sloped and curved driveway. Looks like I will need to get a few properly sized extension cords to go to the furnace, refrigerator, lights, dvd player, hdtv, cell phone chargers, etc!

It looks like Reliance has some other transfer switch options as well, similar to the EZ Generator Switch I think, but for 30A, 240Vac inlets for multiple circuits.

p184 "The neutral of the inverter generator is bonded to system ground. Connecting loads that also have neutral bonded to ground causes the ground fault detection to trip." So just lift the ground at the truck receptacle? I think I saw a video where that worked to backfeed a 240Vac house panel (with disconnected Main CB to the Utility--this is why there are properly installed transfer switches that only allow one source of power to a panel or circuit). Should be safe as long as there is a good ground in the rest of the circuits.

Last edited:
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
Electrical Manufacturing
Thru the wall kit is a way of getting your power split to several "plug in only" items. Furnaces are not included in this application. Just a FYI on the cords. Use ONLY the length you need (not a 50' when you need a 25") also try and use 12 gauge cords.
Sponsored