• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Price protection / ADM dispute with my dealer - AITA?

msadan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
This group is probably a bit biased towards the consumer as opposed to the dealer, but I would still like to hear some opinions. Here's my story:
I put my deposit down on 5/20/21, placed my order on 8/12/22, and took delivery on 2/7/23. By the time I took delivery there had been a $7000 2022 to 2023 model year price increase plus two additional price increases totalling $9100.
Prior to delivery the Ford online pricing summary showed the current MSRP (I think) plus $2000 "difference from total MSPR" a.k.a. ADM / additional dealer markup. I obviously wasn't happy about the ADM but it was too late to switch delaers.
When I went in to complete the paperwork the Vehicle Buyer's Order showed the price of vehicle as full sticker price: MSRP + options + destination. But no ADM.
The Vehicle Buyer's Order also showed a $7000 rebate, which was the private offer from Ford to cover the model year price increase. The $9100 in price protection was not on the invoice but I got the sales manager to agree in writing that they would forward that to me when they received it from Ford.
So I was stuck paying sales tax on the full sticker price, but I was okay with that since there was no ADM. Not ideal, I had to pay $1127 in sales tax on the private offer and price protection, but I was essentially getting a truck for $15k less than the current sticker price.
Fast forward almost 3 months and I contact the dealer asking about the price protection money. I'm told that I should have a check in a few days, and that does in fact happen. But, the check is for $7100, not $9100. When I inquired about the difference I was told that it was $2000 ADM.
As I said that $2K ADM was shown on the online pricing summary, but it was never mentioned at closing and is not shown anywhere on any of the closing documents. My thinking at the time of delivery was that the dealer had probably discontinued what I assume was a very unpopular policy, the additional dealer markup. And because of that, taking delivery was a relatively positive experience. Had I paid that $2k ADM it most assuredly would not have been a positive experience. ADM to me is nothing more than a blatant cash grab by the dealer, and I would have made my opinion known. And they certainly wouldn't have gotten a positive review on the survey I later received from Ford.
So after all that background my question is how far do I pursue this? The sales manager doesn't seem willing to budge. My next step will be to contact the GM, and if the GM can't resolve it then take it to small claims court. It is absolutely not worth my time to screw around in small claims court over this, but I suspect that is exactly what the dealer is counting on. Unfortunately for them I'm one of those "it's a matter of principle" type of guys. Am I being a jerk here? The truck was ordered through the Ford web site so this sale just fell into the dealer's hands. For them to try to squeeze an extra $2K out of a sale that cost them nothing just pisses me off.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I'd hate to be in your position, but I would make it known immediately that you plan to pursue in court for your money. It's their fault for not putting it in writing on your purchase documents. Contact the GM, maybe give him one chance to make it right. Perhaps word your email (I would recommend all correspondence via email for record) such that it paints the picture that you are considering legal action. I'm certainly no legal expert but it seem like the evidence available is on your side. There's a solid chance that just filing will get them to cave.

Its PJ Bia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO
If you signed a sheet like mine, it said they would give me "any price protection moneys" that was deposited to the dealer. So if Ford sent them the full $9100, their own "contract" per se for the price protection means you should be given the full amount. Price protection money is not meant for ADM, that should have been handled during your buying process. Not sure how far I would fight it, but I know I wouldn't stop after one person is not budging.

Gnarwhl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro
Yeah, no.....F$@k that...
This whole thing has been such a mess.
I just got my Price Protection check, but I am still pissed at the dealer for the way they handled it, but at least they didn't shaft me.

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
You might consider bumping it up to Ford directly. They’re not keen on dealers charging ADM and that money was supposed to go to you.

Sponsored

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Pro, Tow Tech,
Well I finally have my $40K Lightning Pro. Got a check from the dealer today for the final $2K of price protection funds.
Is this how it will be? The dealer won't take the price off first? also you where able to not get charge fake addon that the dealer did to me for $4600? I am still fighting for my price protection and the GM is not budging so had Ford regional get involve and now they have contacted him telling him he can not sell the truck until all my issue has been rectify.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Is this how it will be? The dealer won't take the price off first? also you where able to not get charge fake addon that the dealer did to me for $4600? I am still fighting for my price protection and the GM is not budging so had Ford regional get involve and now they have contacted him telling him he can not sell the truck until all my issue has been rectify.
My dealership gave it to me for the actual price, I didn't have to wait for a repayment. I think that depends on the dealership though, but if they want to do something like that make sure you get it in writing that you're going to get the checks.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
My dealership gave it to me for the actual price, I didn't have to wait for a repayment. I think that depends on the dealership though, but if they want to do something like that make sure you get it in writing that you're going to get the checks.
Was this a smaller dealer, or part of a large dealer chain?

Sponsored

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Small Dealer

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Was this a smaller dealer, or part of a large dealer chain?
It's a decent sized dealership, they own multiple dealerships in town now but I don't think they're multistate or anything

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
It's a decent sized dealership, they own multiple dealerships in town now but I don't think they're multistate or anything
Ahh im ya my order is at an AutoNation branded dealership. I have yet to have the discussion with the sales person, but the truck hasn't yet shipped.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Ahh im ya my order is at an AutoNation branded dealership. I have yet to have the discussion with the sales person, but the truck hasn't yet shipped.
My dealer thankfully fixed everything pretty quick, but some other people had to fight for a couple of weeks. I'd just say don't give up or let them sell the truck unless you're really done fighting. There's people to get at Ford corporate that can put some pressure on them

mr2urbo004

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The dealer just called me say region said it is ok but his number isnt coming out correctly. Did you dealer chaege you any bs Addon?
Sponsored