• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Pro as tractor replacement?

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
For some of what I do on the farm I tow a simple implement. For other work an implement uses the PTO, and needs a 3 point hitch connection only because the PTO. In the rare case, an implement absolutely requires a 3 point hitch. And for some orchard work there are task specific vehicles that could be a towed implement if done differently.

Assuming 30A ProPower (8HP) would be enough, I think some of the these implements could be converted to a towed electrical solution, saving a huge amount of diesel if towed behind a Lightning Pro.

An example would a large rotary mower. Replace the gearbox with an electric motor and you are good to go. You may/would have to find a way to float the hitch? And if having to backup, not jackknife, which is not a problem with a 3 point hitch. The place the Pro not work is very poor fields, or sloped terrain.

I only post this as the few electric tractor solutions are lacking (mostly capacity/power).
Sponsored

Aminorjourney

First Name
Nikki
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
I make dumb videos about awesome cars.
I mean the biggest challenge is turning circles and overall length.
My truck was in a farm last weekend moving a tiny home. We got it out of its position but we couldn’t use the truck to get the house in a new location because turning circles.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
8HP isn’t going to run a rotary mower of any decent size. Certainly not one wide enough to cover the width of the truck.
I agree on the turning radius issue as well.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
My truck was in a farm last weekend moving a tiny home. We got it out of its position but we couldn’t use the truck to get the house in a new location because turning circles.

So, other than the turning radius, how did the truck perform?

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Agreed 8Hp is not much, however, when you remove the PTO, shaft and gearbox, the required HP should be much less. My tractor is 30HP at the PTO and runs a 72" heavy duty Landpride no problem (when the radiator is clean). So a bit less (60"?) might work.

Forgot about the turning radius, which makes farming use near impossible.

Sponsored

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro

Amazingly well.
Did you have the rear locker engaged?

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I have thought that farmers would be a PRIMARY use case for this electric/battery TRUCK. It makes all the sense in the world to be able to drive anywhere on your farm, off-road, or on the road, and take care of your duties. No idling. No added engine noise. And few farmers are going more than a couple of miles per DAY.
Maybe it's not a use case as a 'pure' tractor, but it will certainly be able to do many duties that other MUCH HEAVIER equipment is now doing. I can also imagine that in the future we will see SuperDuty versions, with even MORE torque, for these types of needs. Turning radius may be a negative in the short term, but I can imagine that if a Farmer really wants to, it could do the job, especially with larger/off-road tires.

I think that many businesses that are 'contractor-based', such as utility companies, forest service agencies, land surveyors, mobile mechanics, etc., who tend to travel often to business 'sites' and like to leave their vehicles running, are the PERFECT candidates for the EV truck, not to mention the power generation capabilities versus the typical loud and heavy onboard generator.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Agreed 8Hp is not much, however, when you remove the PTO, shaft and gearbox, the required HP should be much less. My tractor is 30HP at the PTO and runs a 72" heavy duty Landpride no problem (when the radiator is clean). So a bit less (60"?) might work.

Forgot about the turning radius, which makes farming use near impossible.
I have a 24HP running a 5’ mower and my experience is similar to yours - if the radiator isn’t clean, it overheats, suggesting it’s right at the limit. Empirically, we’re coming out at about 5HP per foot. Even if we assume 50% loss in the drivetrain and gearbox, 8HP electric comes out to about 3’.

ColeCisneros

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Occupation
developer
The idea of using a 30A ProPower for some of your implements is pretty intriguing, especially for those tasks where it makes sense.
For something like a rotary mower, converting it to an electric motor sounds like a smart move. You'd likely need to work out the hitch and maneuvering details, but it could save you a lot in the long run.
And by the way, if you're still on the hunt for machinery or equipment for your farm, I recently came across machinerydealer.co.uk. They offer a range of new and used plant machinery sales, which might come in handy for your diverse farm needs.
Sponsored

Last edited: