• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Having issue with truck shutting down and Pro Power turning off

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
Anyone have an issue with truck shutting down and pro power turning off? I have the reserve set at 25 miles and Vehicle Power down timer turned off in settings.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I haven't when I was using the 240v in the bed to backup my house.

Does the power down timer have to be set each time Pro Power is used?

OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
I've had this issue but wasn't able to troubleshoot it. I'm interested in the solution.
Yeah pretty annoying. I bought a plug in cooler for long days at the ballpark and have to babysit and check it every hour or so to make sure I turn the truck back on and power is going

OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
I haven't when I was using the 240v in the bed to backup my house.

Does the power down timer have to be set each time Pro Power is used?
Hmm good question. I will have to double check if that is what is getting changed constantly somehow

Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, 21 Corvette Convertible
My truck has been on for 2 hours and powering my house as I type this. Make sure your power down timer is off. My power down is always set to off or disabled. I never have to reset it

OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
My truck has been on for 2 hours and powering my house as I type this. Make sure your power down timer is off. My power down is always set to off or disabled. I never have to reset it
Yeah I just checked again. It looks like it resets to be on and won’t stay off

OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
So seems like the power down timers keeps defaulting to be on. And shutdown after 30 mins. Any idea how to get it to stay Off?

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
So seems like the power down timers keeps defaulting to be on. And shutdown after 30 mins. Any idea how to get it to stay Off?
You need to reset it every time. It is a fail safe so that you don't turn it off and forget about it and then run your battery down too far unintentionally the next time.

OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
You need to reset it every time. It is a fail safe so that you don't turn it off and forget about it and then run your battery down too far unintentionally the next time.
Seems redundant since the pro power screen already has the fail safe to turn off pro power at XX set miles

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Seems redundant since the pro power screen already has the fail safe to turn off pro power at XX set miles
IMHO, the way it's designed is better, I'd rather the rare inconvenience of having to switch off the shutdown timer when I use PPOB, than to forget to switch it back on should forget to turn off the truck after finishing using PPOB, then coming back to the truck after a 14 day cruise to find the truck dead in the airport parking garage.

I'm stretching the concept, but then we would have folks complaining that a run-down has happened to them and why Ford engineers didn't program the obvious protections.

Last edited:
OP
OP

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
IMHO, the way it's designed is better, I'd rather the rare inconvenience of having to switch off the shutdown timer when I use PPOB, than to forget to switch it back on should forget to turn off the truck after finishing using PPOB, then coming back to the truck after a 14 day cruise to find the truck dead in the airport parking garage.

I'm stretching the concept, but then we would have folks complaining that a run-down has happened to them and why Ford engineers didn't program the obvious protections.
I get that- just seems a pop up warning when the truck is started could work as a reminder like they have for several other settings.

Dolio

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER Max Tow Carbonized Gray
The morning of April 14th about 2AM PST when I got home, I just happened to notice that the "Latest Ford Power-Up" Software update (v4.2.2.2) got applied as I was sitting in my driveway. This is the update that changed the dash screen from the Top-Left Side Truck button with sub-menu: Controls and Settings "tabs" and the Top-Center Driver Profile button. After the update the Top-Left of screen now has a Home, Settings, and Camera buttons and the drivers profile button has moved to the Top-Right corner, to the right of the clock. I also noticed that after this update my 2023 Lightning Lariat ER has lost all of my trailer settings, I had one camper and one utility trailer setup. Which is fine, I can put the trailers back in...

All of that being said... I think that perhaps the "Vehicle Power Down Timer" setting behavior has changed? I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Before this update, I had been testing leaving the truck powered on in order to keep the WiFi HotSpot for hours while at work. Don't need to get into it, but I also have a cell phone which is setup to use the same SSID WiFi name as the truck.... The phone detects when the trick is running by seeing if the BlueTooth is available and only running the phone hot spot when the truck if off. But the truck cell service is better than the phone, and the phone has a data cap... So I was trying to use the unlimited truck hotspot instead... Anyway, back to the story: I have always turned off the climate control which would otherwise use a few 1000watts. I also have always turned off the headlamps, of course. Since I was not actually using the ProPower 110/220vac power, I have also been turning that off. Although I forgot to once or twice and it didn't seem to make much difference... It would use about 1% of the battery per about 6 hours of being left on. Was working like a charm.

After this update, for about 4 attempts now. The truck is turning itself off after what I assume is the 30 minute timer even though I have been turning off the "Vehicle Power Down Timer" just like I had been previously. I suspect that this last update has changes something, so I started to trouble shoot. I thought perhaps the ProPower needed to be kept enabled... Since when you turn off the Power Down Timer, it pops up a warning that the minimum range setting is the only thing that will stop the battery from nearly completely discharging... (Makes sense). So the last two times I have left the Pro Power 110/220 inverters enabled... Just today, it still turned off after roughly 30 minutes... So I went out and started the truck back up. Turned off the Power Down Timer again, turned off the lights. And this time I turned on the Frunk and the Bed inverters, versus only the cabin inverter that is the only one enabled by default.

So... Perhaps now you also need to turn on the frunk and/or the bed inverters in addition to disabling the Power Down timer?? I did that exactly one hour ago and the truck appears to still be running this time. OHH, Ya... One additional think.. I have always without fail been putting the main screen to sleep by holding the volume wheel for 2 seconds... This last time I also did not put the screen to sleep...

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else has this update v4.2.2.2 and has noticed that the "Vehicle Power Down Timer" is behaving differently afterwards?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I get that- just seems a pop up warning when the truck is started could work as a reminder like they have for several other settings.
I only see the start up POP UP if my SOC is at or below the reserve setting, if we set that reserve really low then it won't display.

Rocket808

First Name
Rocket
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I didn’t know about the vehicle timed power down setting so initially had to return to the car every 30 minutes for my plugs to turn back on (was charging a jackary).
Was a dream to find that setting and have the truck charge our campsite battery for the next night.
I appreciate that it would reset to turn back on - seems good for the truck to do that in the event I ever forgot to turn off the truck
Sponsored