• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
Did Ford have a stake in Canoo. I swear this looks like they robbed this concept if not.

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? 1681578329281
Sponsored

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
Kinda reminds me of this explorer concept. Maybe with Ford explaining the explorer sub-brand it could be a modern version of this?
Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? message-editor_1614889561343-1973fordexplorercn-7116-16-2

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Here's the thing, you're thinking logically. Let's be real, if buyers were logical, 90% of buyers would buy the truck I have because it gives them all the capability they need. It's affordable, reliable, gets great fuel economy, is fast, and has a payload higher than many full size trucks.

But we need to take into account the cultural shift surrounding trucks. They're more of a status symbol these days than they are a utilitarian tool. What matters when something is a status symbol? Looks, and that thing has super polarizing looks. It wouldn't appeal to many conventional truck buyers, they would probably write it off as being too radical. They wouldn't care if it had an 8 foot bed if it looked like that.

For many truck buyers, it's not a logical purchase. It's based on how they're perceived. Many of them don't want to be seen in something like that. How many of these truck owners would insult my maverick because they don't perceive it as "manly" enough, even though it's payload of 1,500 lbs is literally higher than certain trims of the ram 1500, and tundra. Granted, it can't tow much, but if you're just hauling, 1,500 lbs is more than most people will need.

To some people, perception trumps logic. You have to take that into account when designing a product.

IMG_20230325_143908.jpg
I love the Maverick. Great truck. Strongly considered one except the bed size is too small for my needs. I coach a robotics team and the 5.5' bed in my Lightning just barely fits everything I need to haul around.

If the maverick goes full EV and my needs change it is very much on my short list.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Forget the potential truck design…. I kinda want a robotic arm and winch system for my truck. No, I definitely want one…

Sponsored

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick
I love the Maverick. Great truck. Strongly considered one except the bed size is too small for my needs. I coach a robotics team and the 5.5' bed in my Lightning just barely fits everything I need to haul around.

If the maverick goes full EV and my needs change it is very much on my short list.
See, you're also being logical. You need a larger bed because you regularly haul a lot of stuff. But there are countless truck buyers out there who obsess over bed size and towing capacity, only to haul air 99.9% of the time.

We knew going into it that we would never haul, and mostly just need to haul around the occasional bit of furniture that was too big to fit into our explorer. So for us, the maverick was perfect.

People like you need a big truck, so owning an f-150 for your needs makes sense to me. But I know so many people in my neighborhood who own massive trucks, and never use them as trucks, yet pay the truck tax of higher fuel costs, and worse driving dynamics. Confuses me so much 😂.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E
While the frunk itself may not seem a necessity it is a bit intriguing and convenient in many use cases. I wonder if they can really get rid of the hood of vehicles though because of the need for a crash-crumple zone. If you are right up in front you're gonna have nothing to truly slow down the impact of a serious collision. The vehicles that sit like that already arent the smallest on the road and can partly compensate in a crash by just being bigger than the other guy.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
The cab-forward Transit chassis-cab with a drop-side bed configuration is popular in Europe.
You could get a 12' bed and still have < 20' long truck.
Or a double cab and an 8' bed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? 1681881268044

If you want an EV, Ford does already sells the E-Transit in a chassis-cab config that could have a drop-side bed., Too bad it has such a small battery and in the U.S. only comes in the single cab and maybe-too-long wheelbase configuration.

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? 1681881926933

Ford F-150 Lightning Project T3 Electric Truck Design Previewed in Ford Patent Filing? 1681881577919

Last edited:

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
I think this would be a great place to start, great vision forward, just add the existing Lightning behind the front door, except lockable storage behind 2nd seats?

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
You’all got trolled by Ford. Pretty hilarious. I want the Lightning GT Convertible!

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
While the frunk itself may not seem a necessity it is a bit intriguing and convenient in many use cases. I wonder if they can really get rid of the hood of vehicles though because of the need for a crash-crumple zone. If you are right up in front you're gonna have nothing to truly slow down the impact of a serious collision. The vehicles that sit like that already arent the smallest on the road and can partly compensate in a crash by just being bigger than the other guy.
The mega frunk is here to stay. Like a dual mullet: Party in the front and back.
Sponsored