• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Smart move... it looks like the ICE RAM, which is smart. It' the same reason why the Lightning needed to look like the ICE F-150.

ICE buyers need to think of electicity as a powertrain option, so they know they're not missing anything they like about the ICE version.

First time truck buyers are another animal. I think a huge percentage of CyberTruck owners have never owned a pickup before. That will be interesting.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Smart move... it looks like the ICE RAM, which is smart. It' the same reason why the Lightning needed to look like the ICE F-150.

ICE buyers need to think of electicity as a powertrain option, so they know they're not missing anything they like about the ICE version.

First time truck buyers are another animal. I think a huge percentage of CyberTruck owners have never owned a pickup before. That will be interesting.
I agree. A lot of those CT buyers are in for a rude awakening

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
That's a development mule in the photo and the official design has not been unveiled. I'd anticipate that it will be an iteration of the current Ram 1500 design plus light bars and illuminated logos (essentially the same iterative approach as the Dodge Charger EV).

I think the current Ram 1500 is the best full size truck design (inside and out), so they can't go wrong with a conservative approach.

Last edited:

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
Pretty funny that Dodge didn’t even go to the trouble to remove ICE indicators on their mule.
Ford F-150 Lightning Ram 1500 EV Revolution spied benchmarking F-150 Lightning on test track FFA21A20-9CD8-4E54-B4C0-550C445AF6E2

Ford F-150 Lightning Ram 1500 EV Revolution spied benchmarking F-150 Lightning on test track 0CBC2A0D-2279-4B95-AFCA-B0E474ABABC3

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT

Based on the teasers and clay model, it will look significantly different than the current ICE Ram 1500.

https://www.ram1500revolutionforum....teaser-video-reveals-more-of-front-face.6495/

So it's going to be look more different from the ICE Ram than the Lightning to the ICE F-150.

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
Based on the teasers and clay model, it will look significantly different than the current ICE Ram 1500.

https://www.ram1500revolutionforum....teaser-video-reveals-more-of-front-face.6495/

So it's going to be look more different from the ICE Ram than the Lightning to the ICE F-150.
The spy shots don't look too different, so I guess we'll need to see the final introduction to see how the next gen ICE RAM and the Revolution compare.

Chevy went the opposite way. It doesn't look at all like the current Silverado, but then again, we don't know what the next gen ICE Silverado will look like.

Personally, I LOVE the fact that my Lightning is virtually the same, inside and out. If it wasn't it wouldn't be an F-150.

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
The spy shots don't look too different, so I guess we'll need to see the final introduction to see how the next gen ICE RAM and the Revolution compare.

Chevy went the opposite way. It doesn't look at all like the current Silverado, but then again, we don't know what the next gen ICE Silverado will look like.

Personally, I LOVE the fact that my Lightning is virtually the same, inside and out. If it wasn't it wouldn't be an F-150.
The spy shots aren't telling when it comes to the EV model's styling because the actual Ram 1500 EV body has never been spied. Only these prototypes that are using the ICE Ram body with EV underpinnings -- for purposes of not revealing the EV's styling.

Look at this header image at http://www.ram1500revolutionforum.com -- that's an official teaser image and you can tell already it's going to be pretty big departure from current ICE Ram.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ram 1500 EV Revolution spied benchmarking F-150 Lightning on test track ramrevolutionforum-header

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
The spy shots aren't telling when it comes to the EV model's styling because the actual Ram 1500 EV body has never been spied. Only these prototypes that are using the ICE Ram body with EV underpinnings -- for purposes of not revealing the EV's styling.

Look at this header image at http://www.ram1500revolutionforum.com -- that's an official teaser image and you can tell already it's going to be pretty big departure from current ICE Ram.

ramrevolutionforum-header.png
The rendering is clearly different from the current models.

I think you're probably right because that rendering looks like a unibody design and they'd lose a huge market if they made the ICE models unibody.

If the next gen RAM was as unibody design they'd lose the ability to ship without the box for tow trucks, ambulances, etc..

Long term elimination of ICE is inevitable, so eventually all companies need to build EVs on traditional modular platforms, so whatever they're building will eventually need to be shippable without the bed.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

I may be in the minority, but I’ve driven an F-series continuously since 1980, and I think the Lightning tries too hard to mimic the ICE truck, starting with the big-ass, clunky shifter and the door handles.
That said, I sure as heck don’t want it to look like the CT!

Sponsored

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Developer
I may be in the minority, but I’ve driven an F-series continuously since 1980, and I think the Lightning tries too hard to mimic the ICE truck, starting with the big-ass, clunky shifter and the door handles.
That said, I sure as heck don’t want it to look like the CT!
I'm driving my 8th Ford.

I think the shifter can be eliminated from all vehicles that don't have a manual transmission, ICE or otherwise.

Unibody trucks may have some merits, but full size trucks need a traditional frame to support the variety of things that can't be done with a unibody construction. For example, tow trucks, box trucks, ambulances, and campers can't be built without removing the box, so they won't be able to use Silverados or the new RAM Revolution.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm driving my 8th Ford.

I think the shifter can be eliminated from all vehicles that don't have a manual transmission, ICE or otherwise.

Unibody trucks may have some merits, but full size trucks need a traditional frame to support the variety of things that can't be done with a unibody construction. For example, tow trucks, box trucks, ambulances, and campers can't be built without removing the box, so they won't be able to use Silverados or the new RAM Revolution.
Yeah, I don’t want a unibody, either.

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
I get the versatility of ladder frame trucks with a separate box for commercial uses but why do regular consumers care about unibody vs ladder frame? I don't care as long as it's strong, can tow and haul. whatever does the job...

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I get the versatility of ladder frame trucks with a separate box for commercial uses but why do regular consumers care about unibody vs ladder frame? I don't care as long as it's strong, can tow and haul. whatever does the job...
I own a farm. A hundred t-posts and a dozen rolls of barbed wire will weigh over 1500 pounds. I guess that may count as commercial.

That said, dropping down to a 5-1/2’ bed is going to make hauling this stuff a lot more challenging!

Halbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Pro
Occupation
Engineer
I own a farm. A hundred t-posts and a dozen rolls of barbed wire will weigh over 1500 pounds. I guess that may count as commercial.

That said, dropping down to a 5-1/2’ bed is going to make hauling this stuff a lot more challenging!
That is honestly my only complaint about the Lightning (other than my still broken "frunk" {hurk}). I wish I could have gotten a smaller cab with a 6'5 box like my old truck. I haul a range of stuff almost exclusively, my old truck had 1 adult in the back seat 1 time over it's 4 year life, the whole supercrew cab goes to waste for me because I can't fit a 12' board sideways through the cab without breaking a few laws.
Sponsored