• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Raptor to Lightning Opinions Please!

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I’ve seen a few of you post that you traded a Raptor in for the Lightning or are planning to and I wanted to know if anyone has any regrets with the trade. I know they are different categories being a EV or an off road tailored truck but I don’t have a specific need one way or the other lol.

I’ve always loved the Raptor and find myself considering if I should check one out closer.

Thanks!
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
The Lightning will beat a Raptor off the line any day of the week and twice on Sunday. What more is there?

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
The Lightning will beat a Raptor off the line any day of the week and twice on Sunday. What more is there?
Lots more! That will be fun a few times and then when I show friends the Lightning. Aside from that my Kia Niro EV has plenty of acceleration for normal commuting.

Raptor is for off road isn’t it?
As I noted above yes. But 95% of owners probably don’t use the capabilities beyond what a regular pickup would offer. I do drive around the Rockies and back woods areas a bit for hiking and biking, but nothing that would would require a Raptor.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
I’ve seen a few of you post that you traded a Raptor in for the Lightning or are planning to and I wanted to know if anyone has any regrets with the trade. I know they are different categories being a EV or an off road tailored truck but I don’t have a specific need one way or the other lol.

I’ve always loved the Raptor and find myself considering if I should check one out closer.

Thanks!
Just wait for the Lightning Raptor.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok, I will weigh in here even though I haven't had my Raptor for long. I don't have my Lightning yet, but I did get to take my dealer's demo out for a spin (Lariat ER) and we have had a Mach-e for ~8 months now.

What the Raptor has over the Lightning:
  • Off road capability (this is a given)
  • Deep snow performance (higher clearance, KO2 tires)
  • "Mean" looks
  • Feeling of specialness (combination of truck looks, interior, and branding)
  • Upfitter switches (if those matter to you)
What the Lightning has over the Raptor:
  • On road performance - it isn't even close, and the Lightning is stealthy making no sound
  • Economy - massively cheaper to drive
  • Ease of use for most things - charge at home and have a "full" battery every day
  • Higher payload and towing ratings
In my case, I am not really an off roader (did have some fun going on the sand bar at Bar Harbor this summer though). I got the Raptor because I wanted to experience one before we went all EV. I am a big Ford Performance fan (previous GT500 and GT350 owner) and I wanted to own the "best" truck. IMO, the switch from a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor to a Lightning will be enjoyable. The new Gen14 interior is very nice and Sync 4 is way better than Sync 2 or 3. If you have a Gen 3 Raptor, I think it would be harder and will depend on what you want out of the truck.

For me, the biggest thing I noticed driving them back to back was the feeling of specialness (hard to describe/define) you get driving the Raptor that you don't get driving the Lighting. Besides the acceleration/sound - it feels just like any other F150 behind the wheel. My plan is to add some graphics on the side and hood to spice it up a bit! I was always a bit of a showoff!

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
Ok, I will weigh in here even though I haven't had my Raptor for long. I don't have my Lightning yet, but I did get to take my dealer's demo out for a spin (Lariat ER) and we have had a Mach-e for ~8 months now.

• "Mean" looks
  • On road performance - it isn't even close, and the Lightning is stealthy making no sound
  • Ease of use for most things - charge at home and have a "full" battery every day
In my case, I am not really an off roader (did have some fun going on the sand bar at Bar Harbor this summer though). I got the Raptor because I wanted to experience one before we went all EV. I am a big Ford Performance fan (previous GT500 and GT350 owner) and I wanted to own the "best" truck. IMO, the switch from a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Raptor to a Lightning will be enjoyable. The new Gen14 interior is very nice and Sync 4 is way better than Sync 2 or 3. If you have a Gen 3 Raptor, I think it would be harder and will depend on what you want out of the truck.

For me, the biggest thing I noticed driving them back to back was the feeling of specialness (hard to describe/define) you get driving the Raptor that you don't get driving the Lighting. Besides the acceleration/sound - it feels just like any other F150 behind the wheel. My plan is to add some graphics on the side and hood to spice it up a bit! I was always a bit of a showoff!
If I get an offer from the dealer to buy my truck, I’d order a new raptor to be honest.

OP
OP

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma

• "Mean" looks

Thanks for the feedback! I understand the feeling of specialness but it seems like every third vehicle where I’m at is a Raptor, Tesla or Range Rover so that isn’t as big a deal lol. I’m a wheel and deal kinda a guy and wondering about the possibility of leveraging the low trim Lightning into a nicely packaged Raptor. Sounds like a fun challenge.

As far as on road performance is that all the way around or just the quiet acceleration? How do you feel about the handling between the two on road?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks for the feedback! I understand the feeling of specialness but it seems like every third vehicle where I’m at is a Raptor, Tesla or Range Rover so that isn’t as big a deal lol. I’m a wheel and deal kinda a guy and wondering about the possibility of leveraging the low trim Lightning into a nicely packaged Raptor. Sounds like a fun challenge.

As far as on road performance is that all the way around or just the quiet acceleration? How do you feel about the handling between the two on road?
The Lightning definitely handled better. It isn't a sports car, but the better road tires (It had the all seasons), lower center of gravity, and IRS combine to make it feel nimbler in the corners with less body roll. Even with the higher weight, I could take the demo unit into corners about 5-10mph faster than I was comfortable doing in the Raptor. Car and Driver had the Gen 3 Raptor tested at 0.69g on the skidpad and the Lightning was 0.77g which matches what I felt driving it. All time AWD helps too.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE

Thanks!
Nope...I sold my 20 Raptor back to the dealer and ordered a 21 Lariat PB as a 'gateway drug' hybrid until the Lightning came in.

I love the Lightning and do not miss the Raptor at all. Lots of power, lots of gas, zero time out on the wilds on the trails. It was the wrong truck for me.

Lightning, lots of power, zero gas, an increase in my nuclear powered electric bill by about $35 a month, and hands-free cruising on the highway.

No I don't miss that Raptor.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I miss my 2020 Raptor SCAB that I sold due to a cross country move for a new career. My Lightning is due to arrive any day, but I can't imagine that the Lightning will beat the Raptor driving experience for me. The Raptor is a lifestyle vehicle that could help define me, the Lightning defines me as something I am not. I loved the look of the Raptor from any angle. I've never had anything else that was such a good all around performer with offroad ability and a super comfortable highway ride. I'm sure my Lightning Pro will be a good truck, but other than the acceleration and efficiency I just don't see it matching up. I'm not planning on it, but if I were going to trade the Lightning for anything it would be the guy offering me a Gen 3 Raptor.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
I miss my 2020 Raptor SCAB that I sold due to a cross country move for a new career. My Lightning is due to arrive any day, but I can't imagine that the Lightning will beat the Raptor driving experience for me. The Raptor is a lifestyle vehicle that could help define me, the Lightning defines me as something I am not. I loved the look of the Raptor from any angle. I've never had anything else that was such a good all around performer with offroad ability and a super comfortable highway ride. I'm sure my Lightning Pro will be a good truck, but other than the acceleration and efficiency I just don't see it matching up. I'm not planning on it, but if I were going to trade the Lightning for anything it would be the guy offering me a Gen 3 Raptor.

Very odd take since you haven’t experienced the Pro yet. The power, acceleration, comfort etc are a significant level above the Raptor. It’s fantastic off road as well. You can’t lift it to be the same but you can a little and put some off road tires on at the cost of 10% range hit.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...37-package-wheels-315-70-r17-ko2-tires.11856/

Then again, if you are deriving your identity from the raptor I doubt a $40k pro would do anything for you.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Very odd take since you haven’t experienced the Pro yet. The power, acceleration, comfort etc are a significant level above the Raptor. It’s fantastic off road as well. You can’t lift it to be the same but you can a little and put some off road tires on at the cost of 10% range hit.

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...37-package-wheels-315-70-r17-ko2-tires.11856/

Then again, if you are deriving your identity from the raptor I doubt a $40k pro would do anything for you.
I experienced sitting in my Pro yesterday since it arrived at the dealer. It’s nice, but the vinyl interior isn’t really in the same league as my 802A Raptor was. It’s a cool truck that I’m sure I’ll like driving, hopefully they can deliver it this week. I have a 2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands, so I’m covered in the offroad truck department.

A vehicle doesn’t derive an identity, but it does seem to supplement it for some people. Hotrod guys, classic car guys, corvette guys, jeep guys, etc are known for their enthusiasm for their vehicles. I‘ve been an offroad enthusiast since I was a kid, I had the same 87 Bronco for 23 years from 21-44. After owning and growing with a vehicle for the formative years of my 20’s and 30’s, the vehicle becomes a part of who you are. I think of all the remote offroad places I took it across AZ, UT, and NM, the first date with my wife, and all of the other experiences done in that truck that helped make me who I am today. People see other Broncos and associate them with you the Bronco guy. When I bought my Raptor I was trying to simplify and move to a single vehicle rather than having my Bronco, tow rig and trailer for it, and a commuter car. The Raptor fit that offroad persona and did everything I needed in a single vehicle. I lusted after a Raptor from when they came out in 2010 until I actually bought mine in 2020. Judging by the EV drivers at the social events I’ve attended this year on Cape Cod, the Lightning being an EV suggests a certain political persuasion that is the polar opposite of me. Fortunately I don’t care about looks or what others think, how the vehicle fits my wants and needs is the most important thing.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I experienced sitting in my Pro yesterday since it arrived at the dealer. It’s nice, but the vinyl interior isn’t really in the same league as my 802A Raptor was. It’s a cool truck that I’m sure I’ll like driving, hopefully they can deliver it this week. I have a 2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands, so I’m covered in the offroad truck department.

A vehicle doesn’t derive an identity, but it does seem to supplement it for some people. Hotrod guys, classic car guys, corvette guys, jeep guys, etc are known for their enthusiasm for their vehicles. I‘ve been an offroad enthusiast since I was a kid, I had the same 87 Bronco for 23 years from 21-44. After owning and growing with a vehicle for the formative years of my 20’s and 30’s, the vehicle becomes a part of who you are. People see other Broncos and associate them with you the Bronco guy. When I bought my Raptor I was trying to simplify and move to a single vehicle rather than having my Bronco, tow rig and trailer for it, and a commuter car. The Raptor fit that offroad persona and did everything I needed in a single vehicle. I lusted after a Raptor from when they came out in 2010 until I actually bought mine in 2020. Judging by the EV drivers at the social events I’ve attended this year on Cape Cod, the Lightning being an EV suggests a certain political persuasion that is the polar opposite of me. Fortunately I don’t care about looks or what others think, how the vehicle fits my wants and needs is the most important thing.
I get it. I am currently a mustang bro without a Mustang! I also agree that the Lightning is more of a Street truck than an off roader. Good for some, but not in your case. The one thing I would point out is that , from a comfort standpoint, you are going down several trim levels from a Raptor to a Pro. The Pro fits your needs, but the Lariat would be the more accurate comparison point (Raptor interior is really just a modified Lariat).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The Lightning seems much more suited as an every day driver. The Raptor seems more like a second vehicle designed to excel in specific situations. I'm not an off-roading guy but I do have a second vehicle that's purpose built for fun. I wouldn't want to drive it every day (though I could). In the long run I would think most people would be happier with a Lightning unless you offroad with the buddies a couple of times a month.

Like someone said, waiting for the Lightning Raptor is probably the move. But get a Lightning until then. :)
Sponsored