• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Recall 22S71 - Windshield Wiper Motor inspect/replace

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
I just picked up my 22 Lightning Pro demo last friday and the salesman said Ford required him to replace the wiper motor before allowing me to leave with the truck. He happened to have a wiper motor in stock and swapped it out while I waited.
Funny that he had a wiper motor in stock if there's none available?
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Dealer just called and said they received the replacement wiper motor. I am scheduled for drop off next week.

Last edited:
OP
OP

baker158

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I think my chances of experiencing a complete failure before this gets fixed late this year are less than getting hit by a train.

What? Me Worry?
I'll share my experience. The first time I experienced this failure was driving on a sunny day with a thin layer of pollen/dust on the windshield. When I crested the hill on a busy two lane highway, the sun was blinding through the diffusion layer of dust. I pressed the button to wash the window. The water sprayed - and the wipers did not move. I had just enough visibility to stop halfway on the road.

I became in the habit of turning the wipers on to max, and waiting for them start moving (sometimes 1 second, sometimes 10) before washing the window.

The problem was more prevalent the colder the ambient temperature was. The wipers always worked eventually.

playjack

First Name
jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
Occupation
industrial eqpt sales
Got my recall letter from Ford and will call dealer to schedule visit. I hope this new wiper motor will fix the erratic wiping speed of the 1st and 2nd click of the wiper knob. Currently wiper works and will swing when turned on but just the 2 lower speed control is not giving the rate what one would need.

Sponsored

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
I just picked up my 22 Lightning Pro demo last friday and the salesman said Ford required him to replace the wiper motor before allowing me to leave with the truck. He happened to have a wiper motor in stock and swapped it out while I waited.
Funny that he had a wiper motor in stock if there's none available?
Did you happen to see how much work was needed to replace it? Was there allot that they took apart?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Recall was completed today. I’m not sure what this 3rd quarter stuff is but everything is done.
Well that was quick!

I just got my letter and no mention of when the part arrives...

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Well that was quick!

I just got my letter and no mention of when the part arrives...
Also got the recall letter- they say I'll be contacted by the dealer when the part arrives. No issues so far but I really question why it would take until Q3 2023 to build wiper motors. Sounds like Ford will put the motors in new vehicles before they leave the dealer but not really bother getting around to existing users for a while.

LSP

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Audi e-Tron , Mazda Miata
I too received the letter and just reached out to my dealer. He got back to me and said that Ford told him they are not replacing the motor unless or until it malfunctions. I explained that it was not what the letter said. He agreed and said unfortunately that is Ford's position. So I just called Customer Relations and was told exactly the same thing with some elaboration. She said that in spite of what the letter says, Ford's position now is that they will not replace the motor until it malfunctions.

Is anyone else hearing that and/or any thoughts on how I should proceed? Much appreciated!

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
Did you happen to see how much work was needed to replace it? Was there allot that they took apart?
No, i didn't get to watch the r&r. I was signing paperwork while they had it in the back. Seems like it only took about 45 minutes or so to finish. I think you access the wiper motor after removing the plastic wiper cowls and/or under the removable frunk panels near the wipers.

Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Does the erratic behavior include the wipers turning on every time you turn the truck on? Just started happening to me. Haven't tried turning off the rain sense yet.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Does the erratic behavior include the wipers turning on every time you turn the truck on? Just started happening to me. Haven't tried turning off the rain sense yet.
I wonder if the wipe on start is associated with the "courtesy wipe" selection? However the manual on page 110 says:
"Do not operate the wipers on a dry
windshield. This could scratch the glass or
damage the wiper blades. Use the
windshield washers before wiping a dry
windshield.
Fully defrost the windshield before you
switch the windshield wipers on."

So wipers on a dry or icy windshield on start should not be happening, which I usually see happening as well.
Seems an update to the software is needed @Ford Motor Company .
Rereading the manual shows I misunderstood the automatic rain sensing system. I thought that I had to leave the wiper in the middle position (raindrop) for auto-sensing. I guess there is no manual way to adjust speed, just sensitivity. Am I wrong?

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
My 2011 F-150 worked like this and it was infuriating. Push the button to wash the windshield and the first thing that happens is the wipers scrapping across the sand/salt encrusted glass before the washer fluid starts spraying. With the software capabilities available now, you would think that in the intervening years they could have figured out how to build in a delay.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
This repair was completed today on my truck

Jmmanley1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 MachE Premium SR
Occupation
Airline Pilot
This repair was completed today on my truck

I had mine done early November. It still randomly does a wiper swipe on start up…truck is dry and in the garage. It happens less, and only a couple times on the road. The tech snapped the arm on one of the wipers and had to replace that too.
Sponsored