• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Registered my Lightning as a Passenger vehicle Parkways here I come!

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER delivered 6/3, MME GTPE, MME FE
Occupation
IT
FYI: I just got home from the NYS DMV and was able to trade my Commercial plates in and register my Lightning as a Passenger Vehicle without incident. At first I wasn't that concerned about it as I do not travel the Parkways often but driving home from Maine yesterday reminded me that sometimes on Sunday afternoon the Thruway gets jammed up with city folk returning from their weekend upstate adventures and it would be nice if I was able to just scoot down the Taconic Parkway from Albany to Poughkeepsie if need be.
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World
FYI: I just got home from the NYS DMV and was able to trade my Commercial plates in and register my Lightning as a Passenger Vehicle without incident. At first I wasn't that concerned about it as I do not travel the Parkways often but driving home from Maine yesterday reminded me that sometimes on Sunday afternoon the Thruway gets jammed up with city folk returning from their weekend upstate adventures and it would be nice if I was able to just scoot down the Taconic Parkway from Albany to Poughkeepsie if need be.
They made you register it as commercial? When I picked up my truck they ran into a snag trying to register it. But NYS just passed something where these new EV trucks could get passenger plates. Even though they are over the weight, because it's an EV there were special circumstances.

OP
OP
bogey928

bogey928

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER delivered 6/3, MME GTPE, MME FE
Occupation
IT
They made you register it as commercial? When I picked up my truck they ran into a snag trying to register it. But NYS just passed something where these new EV trucks could get passenger plates. Even though they are over the weight, because it's an EV there were special circumstances.
No, the truck I traded in had commercial so we just transferred the registration when I bought the truck. I liked those plates as they were the original fishing plates when NY did the lifetime fishing license and plate promotion and actually they were cheaper to register than passenger but ultimately it was wanting hassle free Taconic access that made me change to passenger plates.

Also they removed the weight restriction to register as passenger for any pick-up truck over 6000lbs as long as it isn't being used for commercial purposes. This page on the NYS DMV website covers the requirements.
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-pick-truck-passenger-class-vehicle

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicles
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Occupation
Drug Dealer of the LED World
No, the truck I traded in had commercial so we just transferred the registration when I bought the truck. I liked those plates as they were the original fishing plates when NY did the lifetime fishing license and plate promotion and actually they were cheaper to register than passenger but ultimately it was wanting hassle free Taconic access that made me change to passenger plates.

Also they removed the weight restriction to register as passenger for any pick-up truck over 6000lbs as long as it isn't being used for commercial purposes. This page on the NYS DMV website covers the requirements.
https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-pick-truck-passenger-class-vehicle
My truck was registered to my business... thus the issue. But since it's not being blasted with advertising on the side they registered it as passenger

OB121

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Outerbanks Sasquatch, 2019 Expedition
You can make up an invoice for a truck cap or actually get one to get around that also. I wanted to keep my pass plates as I have the beach permit with that tag# so thats what I had to do because of the business registered part.
Sponsored