• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Removing Rear Under Seat Storage Divider?

awn123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco/'05 F-250 6.0/'89 5.0 LX Mustang
Has anyone tried removing the lay flat storage divider under the rear seat. I'd rather have a complete flat area in the back if I fold my seats up.

I removed the plastic divider but then you are left with 4 studs coming up from the floor that do not lay flush with the carpet. Just curious if anyone has removed those studs. Not sure how they are attached to the floor. Welded, glued, screwed in, etc.
Sponsored

Not_Sure

First Name
Joe Bauers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired Navy Veteran
Has anyone tried removing the lay flat storage divider under the rear seat. I'd rather have a complete flat area in the back if I fold my seats up.

I removed the plastic divider but then you are left with 4 studs coming up from the floor that do not lay flush with the carpet. Just curious if anyone has removed those studs. Not sure how they are attached to the floor. Welded, glued, screwed in, etc.
Interesting. So if I understand you correctly you cannot remove the bolts? I take possession of mine on Tuesday and will be doing the same thing so my dog has the whole area (she’s over 100 lbs she needs all the room).

Not_Sure

First Name
Joe Bauers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired Navy Veteran

Check this out:

Last edited:

Not_Sure

First Name
Joe Bauers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired Navy Veteran

Ford F-150 Lightning Removing Rear Under Seat Storage Divider? 548125E5-F87B-47F2-9F93-F91F80D643CE

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Interesting. So if I understand you correctly you cannot remove the bolts? I take possession of mine on Tuesday and will be doing the same thing so my dog has the whole area (she’s over 100 lbs she needs all the room).
I would bet that the bolts are 'all thread', and should be able to be unscrewed using vice grips.

Sponsored

Not_Sure

First Name
Joe Bauers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Retired Navy Veteran
I would bet that the bolts are 'all thread', and should be able to be unscrewed using vice grips.
I agree.l with ya. Only issue is you’ll damage the bolts thread when you remove it so if you want to reinstall it later you’d have to replace the bolts (aka go to ace hardware).

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
A less damaging to the threads way is to run 2 nuts on the stud, tighten them against eachother, then use the wrench on the 'lower' one to unscrew it (assuming RH thread). The above implies it might not be all thread, and is instead a different thread on the bottom, so you'd use the 'top' nut in a tightening motion.

OP
OP

awn123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'll try and get around to removing the studs tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
FYI the storage box folds pretty flat. We just Throw our dogs Kong bed over it. He seems happy with that. Lol

OP
OP

awn123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Studs can not be removed because they are not studs. They are a bolt that come up from the outside of floor and up into interior. If you try to back them out they hit the top of the battery pack before they are all the way out. You cant reach them because the pack is in the way so even if you were able to back them out you'd never get them back in. Only way I could see them was with a mirror.

You could probably screw them out about halfway then but a nut on the remaining threads to keep them from backing out further. That would save you about half and inch of thread poking through carpet.

Sponsored

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Studs can not be removed because they are not studs. They are a bolt that come up from the outside of floor and up into interior. If you try to back them out they hit the top of the battery pack before they are all the way out. You cant reach them because the pack is in the way so even if you were able to back them out you'd never get them back in. Only way I could see them was with a mirror.

You could probably screw them out about halfway then but a nut on the remaining threads to keep them from backing out further. That would save you about half and inch of thread poking through carpet.
When you say you saw them with a mirror, were you able to get the mirror in between the battery and the underside of the floor? Meaning, could a telescoping magnet be worked in there to remove the bottom side of the bolts if they fell down?

This is a huge bummer if you can't remove these. I would cut them but don't want them rattling around. The flat floor on the F-150 is the THE reason I'm shopping it. Why did they ruin it with this stupid design? I mean, it's a challenge to design the seats so that they don't require a lower bar support in the first place. Then they junk up the flat area with this thing? Ugh...

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The rear lockable storage is one of my favorite features on my 2021. Comes in handy when you don't want grocery bags to move around.

You could cut some hard foam or particle board to level the floor out.

OP
OP

awn123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When you say you saw them with a mirror, were you able to get the mirror in between the battery and the underside of the floor? Meaning, could a telescoping magnet be worked in there to remove the bottom side of the bolts if they fell down?

This is a huge bummer if you can't remove these. I would cut them but don't want them rattling around. The flat floor on the F-150 is the THE reason I'm shopping it. Why did they ruin it with this stupid design? I mean, it's a challenge to design the seats so that they don't require a lower bar support in the first place. Then they junk up the flat area with this thing? Ugh...
You can't pull them out because they hit the top of the battery pack before they are out of the floor. I suppose you could cut them off from inside to make them shorter then unscrew them, but you'd never get new ones in again.

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
You can't pull them out because they hit the top of the battery pack before they are out of the floor. I suppose you could cut them off from inside to make them shorter then unscrew them, but you'd never get new ones in again.
I might suggest cutting it short enough to get them out, and when you want to put them back in, just use a double-sided stud, and it would have the same effect/usefulness.
Sponsored