• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rouge Plant Workdays and Shifts

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I recall a board member saying that the Rouge plant was operating seven days a week, but how many shifts are there? Should I stop looking for updates or activations after 5 EDT?
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I recall a board member saying that the Rouge plant was operating seven days a week, but how many shifts are there? Should I stop looking for updates or activations after 5 EDT?
There are 3 crews of production.

A Crew works dayshift on Mondays through Thursday. 10 hours a day.
B Crew works afternoon shift Tuesday through Friday. 10 hours a day.
C Crew works Friday and Saturday on days, Sunday and Monday on afternoons. 10 hours a day.

Saturday afternoons and Sunday days are usually used for maintenance, but in the past before COVID, "Super Saturdays or Sundays" or "Super Weekends" have been used to run overtime shifts of production.

I'm not sure exactly the crew or shift situation in the REVC, but I know Ford eventually wants to have the 3 crew system over there.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There are 3 crews of production.

A Crew works dayshift on Mondays through Thursday. 10 hours a day.
B Crew works afternoon shift Tuesday through Friday. 10 hours a day.
C Crew works Friday and Saturday on days, Sunday and Monday on afternoons. 10 hours a day.

Saturday afternoons and Sunday days are usually used for maintenance, but in the past before COVID, "Super Saturdays or Sundays" or "Super Weekends" have been used to run overtime shifts of production.

I'm not sure exactly the crew or shift situation in the REVC, but I know Ford eventually wants to have the 3 crew system over there.
Looks like good coverage and not insane rotating shifts like I had in my Air Traffic Control days. Thanks for the information!

Guess we have to be alert for changes through the afternoon shifts (I presume a 4 PM EDT for the shift).

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Looks like good coverage and not insane rotating shifts like I had in my Air Traffic Control days. Thanks for the information!

Guess we have to be alert for changes through the afternoon shifts (I presume a 4 PM EDT for the shift).
Try after 6.

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Are those crews locked into those shift hours, or do they periodically rotate?
I don't know their contact specifically, but if they have seniority they can bump to a different crew. I'm in the Skilled Trades unit. We can bump twice a year with no restriction on what time of year. I think the Production unit is a twice a year bump opportunity, and it occurs in April and October.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
What is the skill trades unit? What do you do?

I would also love to see Ford put out a detailed YouTube video on the assembly of a single Lightning from A to Z and another video of what happens post production even if each was an hour long. In addition to being interesting, I think it would go a long way to educating us as to what goes on at the plants to make a vehicle and getting it ready to ship. I for one always thought that when it came off the assembly line, the QC was very quick and simple and that it was put on a rail car or truck and promptly showed up at the dealer.

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
What is the skill trades unit? What do you do?
Ok. The Rouge site is complicated and unique. Because of its size, and multiple plants, there are many different "units" under the Local 600 Union.

Each plant has their own Production unit. Truck plant, Engine, DDMP (Dearborn Diversified) and Stamping. Then you have the Tool and Die unit that consists of both the Tool and Die trade as well as the Machine Repair.

Then you have what is called the Maintenance and Construction unit. That consists of the Electricians, Pipefitters, Welders, Millwrights and Carpenters. We, along with the Tool and Die unit, are the tradespeople that work in all the Rouge production plants, and some groups that are assigned to the full site for power distribution systems. There are also people that work at the World Headquarters.

I am an Electrician in the Truck Plant Body building.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Very interesting - and you just taught me something I had no clue about. I bet you find the discussions regarding charge station installations and the silly short cuts that folks want to take on the installations “interesting“ to say the least. Our County is very strict and the Code Official (to his credit) is a rule follower. My wife is an MPE for HVAC that did consulting and design for many years before she went into Plan Review for the County’s Building Development department.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Very interesting - and you just taught me something I had no clue about. I bet you find the discussions regarding charge station installations and the silly short cuts that folks want to take on the installations “interesting“ to say the least. Our County is very strict and the Code Official (to his credit) is a rule follower. My wife is an MPE for HVAC that did consulting and design for many years before she went into Plan Review for the County’s Building Development department.
Yes. Interesting.

I don't do much residential work, but I do have my state Masters license. Some of the discussion about the charging, I think people are over thinking it. I think the best thing to do, if you're going to do the work yourself, would be to find out who the inspector is and talk to him before doing any work. That is the person you ultimately will have to please.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Exactly. among other things, as part of the permitting process, my County requires detailed load circuit calculations because an electrician thought it was a good idea to put a panel to increase the service to the building without asking the electric utility. I bet you can imagine how well that turned out!

Last edited:

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Exactly. among other things, as part of the permitting process, my County requires detailed load circuit calculations because an electrician thought it was a good idea to put a panel in that was a good idea to increase the service to the building without asking the electric utility. I bet you can imagine how well that turned out!
Inspectors hate surprises.

As far as I know, there are no load calculations involved in my area. With a 200A service, and a gas stove and clothes dryer, I shouldn't have a problem with the 100A circuit.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Inspectors hate surprises.

As far as I know, there are no load calculations involved in my area. With a 200A service, and a gas stove and clothes dryer, I shouldn't have a problem with the 100A circuit.
You should make it, but we were real close. I think we had like 3 amps to spare. We also have gas cooking and a gas dryer And had to run a 100 amp circuit across the length of the house in order to get it to the garage. Since my truck will not fit in the garage, I will install the charger on the exterior wall so that it is accessible from the driveway. The electrician installed a power cutoff switch in the garage and will come back for the actual install of the charging station when we get it. Unfortunately, because of the way the original permit was pulled by the electrician, we will have to get a second permit for the actual installation of the charging station.
Sponsored