• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Rough County Power Running Boards $1199.95

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
In looking for power running boards for my 2023 Lightning Pro I ran across a link to Rough County power running boards for the Lightning and had not seen any mention of them before. They seam to be the equivalent of the Amp Power running boards but a few hundred dollars cheaper. I was wondering if anyone had purchased these for there Lightning or any other vehicle in the past and what you experience was with them.

Here's the link

https://www.roughcountry.com/rc-for...ord-f-150-lightning-4wd-942897&sid=jsiJwR75fW
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Hmmm... I'll be taking a better look at these. Thanks for the link.

I have a set of the factory powered running boards on order but have no idea if/when they're going to arrive. And I'm passing on the AMP PowerStep XL's because they're too bulky and drop too low. The regular PowerStep apparently don't work on the Lightning for some reason. These look like they fit and have similar dimensions to the factory (Magna) offering.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER

I have a set of the factory powered running boards on order but have no idea if/when they're going to arrive. And I'm passing on the AMP PowerStep XL's because they're too bulky and drop too low. The regular PowerStep apparently don't work on the Lightning for some reason. These look like they fit and have similar dimensions to the factory (Magna) offering.
What is the part number of the factory powered boards?

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I'm just going to point out the silliest thing from their specs:

600 lb. weight capacity (up to 300 lbs. per side)

Because when would that ever be a useful way of designating weight capacity for such a thing? What, am I going to put one foot on the drivers side, and one foot on the passenger side? So much :🤦:

OP
OP
Fastnf

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
Yea I saw that too and thought it was stupid marketing. But 300 lbs/ side is suffient for me getting in and out of the truck. Anything heavier is going in the bed. ;)

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician

You ordered a set of factory power running boards? I hope you realize they are far from plug-and-play.

I'm not saying they aren't possible to add, but aftermarket is going to be far easier, and less expensive, to add.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
What is the part number of the factory powered boards?
I'm not even sure if I can dig that up. Dealership has ordered them for me. I wanted them on the truck, but they were not a selectable option at any time from when I was invited for wave 2 of '23 up to when my order was scheduled for production. It seems they became a $255 upgrade option and selectable starting with wave 4.
You ordered a set of factory power running boards? I hope you realize they are far from plug-and-play.
The dealership I'm working with has a very large accessories shop. I'll ask them about these Rough Country ones. But they ordered me the factory ones and are including installation. I'm not the only person they have ordered them for. Apparently the AMP PowerStep XL are not plug and play either and require a significant wiring install. They have already installed a set of them, then took them off on another customer's truck. They told me I don't want the PowerStep XL's for reasons I mentioned above -- too bulky and hang too low when extended. They're made more for lifted trucks and they don't understand why AMP is selling them for the Lightning other than it seems they're the ones that match up with the mount points at this time.

So the question I have is if the factory ones are not plug and play, and the AMP ones are not either... How can the Rough Country ones be? Unless these don't work with the onboard software and settings to lock them open/closed... Which if they don't, then they're a no-go for me.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I'm just going to point out the silliest thing from their specs:

600 lb. weight capacity (up to 300 lbs. per side)

Because when would that ever be a useful way of designating weight capacity for such a thing? What, am I going to put one foot on the drivers side, and one foot on the passenger side? So much :🤦:
That is a silly way to market it. And 300lbs limit per side is not great. So does that mean I'm exceeding the specs of these steps if I (175lbs) and my son (160lbs) are stepping on it at the same time to get in the truck?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I'm not even sure if I can dig that up. Dealership has ordered them for me. I wanted them on the truck, but they were not a selectable option at any time from when I was invited for wave 2 of '23 up to when my order was scheduled for production. It seems they became a $255 upgrade option and selectable starting with wave 4.

The dealership I'm working with has a very large accessories shop. I'll ask them about these Rough Country ones. But they ordered me the factory ones and are including installation. I'm not the only person they have ordered them for. Apparently the AMP PowerStep XL are not plug and play either and require a significant wiring install. They have already installed a set of them, then took them off on another customer's truck. They told me I don't want the PowerStep XL's for reasons I mentioned above -- too bulky and hang too low when extended. They're made more for lifted trucks and they don't understand why AMP is selling them for the Lightning other than it seems they're the ones that match up with the mount points at this time.

So the question I have is if the factory ones are not plug and play, and the AMP ones are not either... How can the Rough Country ones be? Unless these don't work with the onboard software and settings to lock them open/closed... Which if they don't, then they're a no-go for me.
I can't comment on the Rough County install, other than they have some sort of door sensor.

Amp, on my 2018, were plug and play. I guess on the newer versions you have to tap two wires for them to sense when a door is open.

If your dealership is including installation of the factory boards, I sure would like to see pictures when they are done. And know the final cost. A guy on another forum installed factory board on the last generation truck and it was very involved. Had to fabricate wire harnesses, install a module on the back wall of the truck and use Forscan to enable them.

skyak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250, 911, Lightning
The Amp Xtreme work great and are 600 lbs per side I believe.

Sponsored

s_c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Owner
Yea I saw that too and thought it was stupid marketing. But 300 lbs/ side is suffient for me getting in and out of the truck. Anything heavier is going in the bed. ;)
You end up installing anything?

OP
OP
Fastnf

Fastnf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 lightning
You end up installing anything?

Not yet. I have been busy with solar and utility upgrades. Still thinking about it, but it probably a month or two off at this point.

Reactions: s_c

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
I can report that as of June, the standard AMP PowerSteps are available for the Lightning. I had them installed on my '23 Lariat ER because my wife wasn't fond of the climb in and out of the cab. The standard ones are rated at 300lb per side, and drop almost exactly halfway between the door sill and the ground (with the truck unloaded, a little more than halfway for the front seats, a little less than halfway for the back seats).

The install was pretty easy, OffRoad Warehouse did it for me in a few hours. There is a wiring harness to install (tap power from the 12V battery, link to the OBD port to get door open/close notifications). My truck was their first Lightning install, but they had no problems.