• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The suspended battery pack was new to me and comforting as well.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Munro is a great resource. Their teardowns have changed the way carmakers (and military) build vehicles. He's also done a one-on-one conversation with Musk (something Musk rarely does) and I'm sure Ford built the Lightning thinking about what it will be like when Munro tears it down.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Munro is a great resource. Their teardowns have changed the way carmakers (and military) build vehicles. He's also done a one-on-one conversation with Musk (something Musk rarely does) and I'm sure Ford built the Lightning thinking about what it will be like when Munro tears it down.
Honestly given his reputation.. I'm surprised he was so positive. That bodes well for Ford, he is not afraid to share his opinion

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks for sharing. I have been working through his videos on the Mach-e. I don't always agree with his suggestions for improvement, but the breakdown and analysis is great.

Sounds like he was impressed. Bodes well!

Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I know people don't like to hear the car they purchased sucks when broken down or the build was subpar or whatever. But at the end of the day, a better product comes out of it. The Mach-E subpar honest review from Munro has made Ford step up their game with the Lightning and I'm sure future Ford EV's will also benefit. Mach-E was the beta test vehicle for Ford.

Kickaha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Why is having a battery pack that is isolated from the frame such a big deal? I am not a mechanical guy. I can see the benefit for servicability or, God forbid, you have to replace the battery pack. But he was talking about it in regards to reliability.

Can anyone clue me in?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Why is having a battery pack that is isolated from the frame such a big deal? I am not a mechanical guy. I can see the benefit for servicability or, God forbid, you have to replace the battery pack. But he was talking about it in regards to reliability.

Can anyone clue me in?
In general, shock and vibration is bad for components of any type. By isolating the battery (and all associated connectors) form all of that they should last much longer (be more reliable).

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
In general, shock and vibration is bad for components of any type. By isolating the battery (and all associated connectors) form all of that they should last much longer (be more reliable).
I was also thinking safety in the event of a crash

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Honestly given his reputation.. I'm surprised he was so positive. That bodes well for Ford, he is not afraid to share his opinion
It's been funny to watch how many times his "reputation" has changed over the years.

When he was tearing down the BMW i3, he was an expert and so trustworthy. Jalopnik wrote glowing reviews of his work.

When he said Tesla had 90's Kia-like fit and finish, he was a world-renowned expert (to people who didn't like Tesla) or a nobody (to Tesla superfans).

When he started being positive to Tesla's improvements and overall engineering, now he's a Tesla shill who "was never well-respected" according to a recent comment I saw elsewhere... and Tesla fans now completely changed their opinions on him, too.

Recently, he says the MachE cooling system is a convoluted mess and so he's persona non-grata in Ford circles.

And now he is positive about the F-150 and he's defying his reputation of being a Tesla shill.

It seems to me that he's just a legitimate expert on some of these things and he calls them as he sees them. Tesla engineering is often great, but fit and finish is too frequently not. MachE is a great car overall, but it's pretty clearly a less-elegant coolant system, etc.

To be clear, this isn't a criticism of your post, because you're right, he has had a "poor reputation" recently in Ford circles... it's just funny to me how his perception has swung so far back and forth over time.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's been funny to watch how many times his "reputation" has changed over the years.

When he was tearing down the BMW i3, he was an expert and so trustworthy. Jalopnik wrote glowing reviews of his work.

When he said Tesla had 90's Kia-like fit and finish, he was a world-renowned expert (to people who didn't like Tesla) or a nobody (to Tesla superfans).

When he started being positive to Tesla's improvements and overall engineering, now he's a Tesla shill who "was never well-respected" according to a recent comment I saw elsewhere... and Tesla fans now completely changed their opinions on him, too.

Recently, he says the MachE cooling system is a convoluted mess and so he's persona non-grata in Ford circles.

And now he is positive about the F-150 and he's defying his reputation of being a Tesla shill.

It seems to me that he's just a legitimate expert on some of these things and he calls them as he sees them. Tesla engineering is often great, but fit and finish is too frequently not. MachE is a great car overall, but it's pretty clearly a less-elegant coolant system, etc.

To be clear, this isn't a criticism of your post, because you're right, he has had a "poor reputation" recently in Ford circles... it's just funny to me how his perception has swung so far back and forth over time.
TBH I really don't know that much about him and only started to follow recently. However he seems to shoot straight about what he likes or doesn't like..no hold barred. I respect that, even if I agree/disagree with what he is saying. I realize it was a media setup for him, but the fact he came away positive with no initial negatives speaks volumes.

Also, quite honestly kudos to Ford.. they could have very easily blacklisted him after he was critical to the Mach E. They appear to be making an effort to improve with each EV launch...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Recently, he says the MachE cooling system is a convoluted mess and so he's persona non-grata in Ford fanboy circles.
Here, fixed it for you. Considering that Ford gave him a look at Lightning, Ford itself values his opinion.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
TBH I really don't know that much about him and only started to follow recently. However he seems to shoot straight about what he likes or doesn't like..no hold barred. I respect that, even if I agree/disagree with what he is saying. I realize it was a media setup for him, but the fact he came away positive with no initial negatives speaks volumes.

Also, quite honestly kudos to Ford.. they could have very easily blacklisted him after he was critical to the Mach E. They appear to be making an effort to improve with each EV launch...
Agreed. I think he's a straight-shooter for the most part.

I'm not saying he's perfectly impartial, but he says positive and negative things about everyone.

And to be fair, most of what he says gets overblown as far as importance. Fit and finish of Tesla wasn't a deal-breaker for me, and the cooling system thing wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me on the Mach E if that's the kind of vehicle I was in the market for. They're considerations, but they both are great vehicles, overall, with valid concerns on some points.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Here, fixed it for you. Considering that Ford gave him a look at Lightning, Ford itself values his opinion.
That's basically what I meant. But I try to leave "fanboy" to the most toxic, aggressive people. Superfans could just be people who are very pro-Tesla and not all that well informed about the competition or cars in general.

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Hopefully Ford will improve the cooling system hose design on the lightning vs the E

Also, I thought I heard in the video that they will be producing various trim levels, not just the most expensive to start with.
Sponsored