• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sanity Check: First F150L/EV Trip (~240mi) With Toddlers Through Charging Desert

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
Just returned home from this trip, completing the exact reverse drive.

During this return trip (just a few miles from home), I coincidentally crossed 1,000 total miles since I took delivery: almost exactly 1/2 the miles “around town” and the other 1/2 accumulated during this round trip, @ a cumulative 1,000 total of (dash-purported) 2.0mi/kWh.

As for the return leg of the trip, the battery began at 100%, and the GoM began at 280mi. Around 90° outdoors, internal climate set to 75°, with the return trip only ~+500’ net gain in elevation and little to no forecasted wind.

I pegged BlueCruise to 64mph the entire trip, but for some decent stints (1/2 the time?) drafting behind bread-boxes (semis or RVs) doing 68-73ish. I told myself (with no data to support it) that drafting at 68-73 can’t be much worse than 64mph head-on.

After 3 hours of driving (plus 30 total minutes of idling bathroom stops) between Port Aransas and San Antonio via Hwy37 (big multi-lane):

Covered 179mi (avg. 60mph in drive time)
  • GoM down -150mi to 130mi of remaining range
  • @ a dash-purported 2.4kWh (94% to driving, 3% to climate, 3% to accessories)

At hour 3.5, charged from 70 to 93% (in 52min - there was a charge fault while we were elsewhere, eating), with 66.7kWh delivered to the truck (per EA charger)

The last 1.5 hours of the drive (between San Antonio and Austin, Hwy35, more stop-and-go included):

• Covered 78mi (avg. 52mph) @ 2.8mi/kWh
  • Arrived home with 73% charge, and GoM at 215mi
If I grossly add the 20% charge reduction from the final 1.5hr leg of the trip with the 30% charge reduction from the first 3.5hr leg of the trip, it would suggest that I could have made the entire 260 mile trip without charging, and with quite a lot to spare.

But does surely doesn’t mean I’d have had 50% battery to spare after 260 miles?

Strangely, the apps (FordPass, ABRP) suggested I’d have to spare only 5-15% if I drove straight through at 60-65mph.

I’m still learning, for sure, and have developed only a vague confidence in the actual range of the truck, as the on-dash data does more to confound than confirm.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
75'F cabin with a 90'F exterior!? Are you crazy :ROFLMAO:
We generally set it to 60-63, no higher! 🥵
90° is on the moderate side down here!

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Tried to plan a trip for my wife in a Kia EV6 to the Rio Grand Vally...I could get her there but couldn't get her back (let the jokes begin)! Only one DCFC in all of the valley and it is on an Audi dealership. She ended up renting an ICE to make the trip.
Sponsored