• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Securing a camper to my f150

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Hey all. I’m new to the camper game and I was hoping for some insight with securing a camper to my f150 power boost. Some back story, my goal is to have a lightweight camper with off grid power capability and to be comfy in the wilderness. The camper I’m purchasing this weekend is a roamin’ chariot which weighs approximately 600 lbs. The camper’s base is 6 feet in length and my Ford has the 6.5 bed. I’m planning on having space for some additional gear storage and to retain the factory tailgate. My questions are for the best means of securing the camper to the truck.

I understand most larger and heavier campers install eye bolts into the bed of the truck or have separate external turnbuckles and brackets attached to the frame. Looking through small camper forums, it appears that many secure their camper to the truck via ratchet systems or internal anchor points within the bed. I’ve noticed my truck has 4 black anchor points, 1 on each corner. Does anyone know the load capacity of these anchor points? I am debating securing the camper using these anchor points with either 4 beefy ratchet straps or 4 turnbuckles.

is it a better option or entirely necessary to not utilize the current in bed mounting and instead install eye bolts?

I’ve attached images of the anchor points, camper on a 6’ bed tacoma, and the camper’s securing bolts for reference.
any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

Ford F-150 Lightning Securing a camper to my f150 B973900C-DAFF-432C-BFC7-95C8E2041259

Ford F-150 Lightning Securing a camper to my f150 18CBE5F7-E594-423A-A17C-69C3CBE77CF0

Ford F-150 Lightning Securing a camper to my f150 AD77A694-6AFD-48F3-ABE0-7D23437CC180
Sponsored

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Hey all. I’m new to the camper game and I was hoping for some insight with securing a camper to my f150 power boost. Some back story, my goal is to have a lightweight camper with off grid power capability and to be comfy in the wilderness. The camper I’m purchasing this weekend is a roamin’ chariot which weighs approximately 600 lbs. The camper’s base is 6 feet in length and my Ford has the 6.5 bed. I’m planning on having space for some additional gear storage and to retain the factory tailgate. My questions are for the best means of securing the camper to the truck.

I understand most larger and heavier campers install eye bolts into the bed of the truck or have separate external turnbuckles and brackets attached to the frame. Looking through small camper forums, it appears that many secure their camper to the truck via ratchet systems or internal anchor points within the bed. I’ve noticed my truck has 4 black anchor points, 1 on each corner. Does anyone know the load capacity of these anchor points? I am debating securing the camper using these anchor points with either 4 beefy ratchet straps or 4 turnbuckles.

is it a better option or entirely necessary to not utilize the current in bed mounting and instead install eye bolts?

I’ve attached images of the anchor points, camper on a 6’ bed tacoma, and the camper’s securing bolts for reference.
any constructive input is greatly appreciated.

B973900C-DAFF-432C-BFC7-95C8E2041259.jpeg

18CBE5F7-E594-423A-A17C-69C3CBE77CF0.jpeg

AD77A694-6AFD-48F3-ABE0-7D23437CC180.jpeg
Although I am not sure of the official rated weight capacity of those tie-downs, I can tell you that they hold quite a bit. I regularly use those to secure loose items in my bed, and I have tightened ratchet straps to the point of the straps snapping (went over some iffy railroad tracks), and the tie-downs didn't even have a scratch. Same thing with the set of plastic tie-downs that came with the truck. I was skeptical of those, but man have I tightened some straps to those and they have yet to fail as well.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Expedition; 2022 F150 Lariat PB on order
Are you looking for options to secure it from theft, or to secure it from shifting around?

OP
OP

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Are you looking for options to secure it from theft, or to secure it from shifting around?
Not worried about theft, more concerned about making sure the camper is safely attached to the truck.
Sponsored