• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sell Lightning and go back to gas pickup?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
You have all off the ICE maintenance (maybe worse because it doesn't run as often)
Not true. With my C-Max, Ford recommended an oil change at least every 2 years, compared to a typical ICE car requiring an oil change every 6 months. After almost 6 year, I had to replace the battery, and that's it. At one point, I went over two years without fill-up.

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Yes, @SmokingtheMeats try out the Lightning before passing judgement and see what your actual real world experience.

When I got my SR Lariat, I was having a hard time with parking and U turns.

Now that I have gotten used to my commute, it's second nature to drive.

A big plus is that the range keeps increasing due to how and where I drive.

25% increase in range for me was a big surprise.

IMG_9544 (1).JPG
Our lariat is experiencing the same range growth. We only have 309 miles on it and solar on the home is taking care of the charge. I think we'll be okay with no additional panels

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Not true. With my C-Max, Ford recommended an oil change at least every 2 years, compared to a typical ICE car requiring an oil change every 6 months. After almost 6 year, I had to replace the battery, and that's it. At one point, I went over two years without fill-up.
That's not bad, those I am surprised you didn't have issues with the fuel after that long. I thought the limit was 3 months for this newer fuel with ethanol, 6 months with a stabilizer.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
That's not bad, those I am surprised you didn't have issues with the fuel after that long. I thought the limit was 3 months for this newer fuel with ethanol, 6 months with a stabilizer.
I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered what we did on Cape Cod before living here full time. Every year we would fill up the cars and boat in September (stabilized) and not run them until the following May, so eight months. With Covid none of us went to Cape Cod summer of 2020, so my boat didn’t go in the water and the cars sat from September 2019 to May 2021. The 100 gallons of fuel in the boat was treated with Stabil 360 Marine, but even so I was concerned enough that I pumped it all out into cans and filtered it for water. For disposal I poured it into a couple company fleet trucks and gave some to a buddy who ran it in his pickup, no issues. I’m sure the octane rating wasn’t good as new, but the fuel burned ok. The fuel in our cars was also fine. This was all fuel with ethanol.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
I'm sure it was bad by the time I sold it, but that's Carvana's problem. Bad gasoline is just ballast, if all your trips are short enough to only use electric motor. From Middle of 2018 to beginning 2020 my commute was 4.5 miles each way and I could charge at work. Than covid hit and I only drove to get groceries until I got MME and sold C-Max.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
My xc90 phev will force fuel use due to age at some point. It happened a couple times in the last two years (some time around 6 to 7 months) and I am due for it to go over ice use soon (March 1 last fill-up). I have had to do brake work due to rusty rotors starting in year 4 (28k miles). My volt had a two year oil change interval (it looked like a chocolate milkshake when it came out). Infrequent use, short use when it actually started and forced use when very cold meaning that be to he engine ran in and really warmed up a half dozen times per year with over 100 cold starts and all of the fuel dilution and condensation from the warm air in hhe cylinders on the cold metal. The xc90 phev oil smelled like two stroke fuel this spring (6 months and 1650 miles after an change), so I drained and filled (no filter change) and had Blackstone labs test it 8.7 percent fuel dilution and that was after a long drive that actually warmed up the oil for a while.

After 6+ months the fuel has been fine in both the Volvo and the volt, but there were/are other ice related concerns in the back of my mind when using them as EVs primarily. Getting into a real EV is ssssoooo much better.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My xc90 phev will force fuel use due to age at some point. It happened a couple times in the last two years (some time around 6 to 7 months) and I am due for it to go over ice use soon (March 1 last fill-up). I have had to do brake work due to rusty rotors starting in year 4 (28k miles). My volt had a two year oil change interval (it looked like a chocolate milkshake when it came out). Infrequent use, short use when it actually started and forced use when very cold meaning that be to he engine ran in and really warmed up a half dozen times per year with over 100 cold starts and all of the fuel dilution and condensation from the warm air in hhe cylinders on the cold metal. The xc90 phev oil smelled like two stroke fuel this spring (6 months and 1650 miles after an change), so I drained and filled (no filter change) and had Blackstone labs test it 8.7 percent fuel dilution and that was after a long drive that actually warmed up the oil for a while.

After 6+ months the fuel has been fine in both the Volvo and the volt, but there were/are other ice related concerns in the back of my mind when using them as EVs primarily. Getting into a real EV is ssssoooo much better.
I was a bit more nuts on my ICE vehicles, even the ones I didn't drive a lot. Full synthetic oil change with a new filter every year, even if very few miles were driven (hit me for over $200 a shot in my GT350). I also keep the octane up, so I made sure I went through the fuel (93 octane) every 3 months. For winter I used non-ethanol fuel (91 octane) and stabilizer and ran the car very gently in the spring until I burned it out. I would probably use the same regimen for a PHEV. Either that or drain the fluids in the ICE motor and disconnect it electrically so it can't/won't start.

Didn't want to deal with all of that, so I went straight to BEV.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I was a bit more nuts on my ICE vehicles, even the ones I didn't drive a lot. Full synthetic oil change with a new filter every year, even if very few miles were driven (hit me for over $200 a shot in my GT350). I also keep the octane up, so I made sure I went through the fuel (93 octane) every 3 months. For winter I used non-ethanol fuel (91 octane) and stabilizer and ran the car very gently in the spring until I burned it out. I would probably use the same regimen for a PHEV. Either that or drain the fluids in the ICE motor and disconnect it electrically so it can't/won't start.

Didn't want to deal with all of that, so I went straight to BEV.
The Volvo gets premium and full synthetic. I can't disconnect the ice in the Volvo less than 20 miles electric range and 87hp for a 5000 pound vehicle. It is ok for my commute, but that tops out with a 45mph speed limit and an average speed of less than 20mph. Once I have the lightning (dates have been moved up 3 days as of last night) the Volvo will get even less use, though fuel use will not fall off as much due to only getting long trips.
Sponsored