• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Service - the big issue that's getting bigger

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So, 2 years in on EVs with Ford, and the service picture isn't getting any better. At first, I attributed it to the pandemic. Now, I'm not so sure.

This isn't a parts availability issue, it's a trained technician issue. I bought my MachEs from a dealer that provided me with relatively prompt service, but always had a queue and has been saying for 2 years now that they have 1 fully trained EV tech. They also said when I was considering buying a Lightning that they would not service it, and are standing behind that.

So, Lightning needs service. Made a bad decision to go with a close dealer that is small, instead of a bigger dealer that is 20 miles away. Bad move. The small dealer also has one EV tech, and he was out for 2 days. They might have me bring it back (I picked it up yesterday when he didn't come in again) tomorrow, if he finishes last week's job that they didn't know he had in his queue...

Calls to other dealerships, even from the BEV team, yield waits of 3 weeks or even 5 weeks, for an available tech.

It's not getting better, and it needs to. I don't know if Ford needs more classes, or needs to light the flame under the dealers butts, but as sales keep increasing this is going to get worse. Not optimistic right now.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Thankfully my only service needs have been standard truck parts. (lumbar support didn't work and window squealed when lowering) I guess I should call and ask if they have any EV techs in case the need arises. I've seen lots of MachE's around town, still no other Lightnings (at least in the NW part of town).

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I wonder if this is dealers being unable/unwilling to employ enough mechanics overall, or if dealers are resistant to the changes and are refusing to have their technicians trained on BEVs.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
There is a small Ford dealer by my house with a "Hiring mechanics" sign out in front of the dealership. The dealer where I take mine for service (condensation in light bar) has two EV techs on staff, but the service manager told me they sometimes need to put them on ICE vehicles because they are so short staffed. I can't help but wonder if staffing issues as a whole are contributing to this.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Come on Model-E, at least said dealers will have incentive and contractual requirements to staff the service shop with technicians, assuming they can recruit them locally.

Sounds like a rejuvenation of the high school and associate's degree tech schools would help to supply the trained labor the economy is missing, assuming of course that there are young ones willing to get involved.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RickLightning

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So when Model e launches, and a dealership doesn't have the required number of EV-certified techs, will Ford remove their certification at some point?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
So when Model e launches, and a dealership doesn't have the required number of EV-certified techs, will Ford remove their certification at some point?
No idea, don't have the contracts, but I would assume they have requirements and mitigation time frames.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I wonder if this is dealers being unable/unwilling to employ enough mechanics overall, or if dealers are resistant to the changes and are refusing to have their technicians trained on BEVs.
This! I don’t think they see a profit with EV’s so one tech is enough.

They either 1) Need to expand on this mobile service or 2) Put up like a Quik Lane for EV’s like they have for ICE, but instead of oil they plug in to see if it’s software related or what not.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Hint: The answer is behind Door #2.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Hint: The answer is behind Door #2.
Yes that's my suspicion however I don't have experience with the service department at any Ford dealers so I couldn't totally rule out door #1.

Dealers will have to adapt or go out of business.
Ford needs to figure this out quick or they're going to have a lot of unhappy customers.

Sponsored

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I had some local electricians working at my house a few weeks ago. The previous week they had been in a skills recertification class to renew their licenses. There were more than 40 people in the class. They said only 2 were under 30, and the majority were in their 50's and 60's.

For reasons I (and they) just don't understand, younger people are not training for high demand jobs that pay well.

ZSLC

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Extended
This is a huge issue. I complained in another post that it took 5 weeks on a simple software update to get an appointment with my dealer. I got Ford involved and they basically said they were powerless to influence local dealers, which tells me their contracts have no teeth. The only thing I found that worked was leaving bad reviews online. My local "Big" Ford dealership watches those and responds quickly, but it is frustrating that public shame is the only thing that gets noticed.

Many of us have said it, these are really incredible vehicles. Well engineered and well built. Just poorly serviced.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
unable/unwilling to employ enough mechanics overal
staffing issues as a whole are contributing to this
It is staffing and its been bad for at least 4 years. I have a great dealer but they too have been short on skilled mechanics. It has nothing to do with ice VS ev.

Most other shops, big and small have the same problems, not enough skilled mechanics. They usually only have 1 or 2 and the rest are service techs who can barely follow manuals and do a brake job.

In reality, working on an ev is way easier than an ice vehicle but there is this weird stigma behind electronics that everyone is afraid of, more training can help.

The immediate solution is to hire more skilled mechanics and train them. But with people expecting a $20 shop visit that's just not financially possible in some places.

I bought my lightning knowing full well the state of the industry and I'm going to deal with problems as they arise and not worry about it.

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
The shortage of skilled technicians at dealerships is not new with EVs. It's just adding to the problem.

When we still had an ICE vehicle, we got free oil changes from the dealership, which was a nice cost savings. From 2014 to 2021, the time it took for the oil change steadily increased from about 45 minutes to almost three hours.

To be fair, I should say almost 2.5 hours, but I was counting that time when I had to wait an additional 30 minutes for the car to be brought out because the person doing that couldn't drive standard. At least that's one skill not required with EVs. ;)
Sponsored