• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Shop the dealer first, before the vehicle

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2018 Escape
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
So many posts concerning dealers that seem greedy, incompetent, or just plain lazy. Here’s a counterpoint story. Been buying Fords for nearly ten years now, and have gone through three dealers, mainly due to poor communication.

Short backstory. My 2013 F-350 Super Duty 6.7 suffered a DEF system failure in 2020 that required a rollback tow to Dealer #1, a week out of service due to B/O parts, and a repair bill over $2K. Opened a case with Ford Customer Service, which got me $400 back. Dealer was slow and very uncommunicative. Left them, went to Dealer #2, bought a 2021 F-150 Powerboost from them for invoice, then they tried to cheat us on an order for a Mach E. Left them, now at Dealer #3.

Few weeks ago, received a letter from Ford stating that NHTSA was mandating a recall and refunds on DEF system failures. We could get a refund, just go to your dealer, and have them open a claim. Um, which dealer? Dealer #1 did the repair, but was unlikely to be aggressive about getting us a refund.

Asked Dealer #3 if we had to work with the dealer that did the repair, or could we work through them? Quick answer the next day: we can handle it, be glad to. The Service Manager jumped on it, we provided the repair receipts and other paperwork, and he submitted our claim. Pronto. Today, we received a check for over $1K refund. Not too shabby.

My advice: shop for a dealer first. Test them, talk to them. If they don’t respond with vigor and enthusiasm, find another dealer. There are good ones out there.
Sponsored

TJE

First Name
Truman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150 xlt
My advice: shop for a dealer first. Test them, talk to them. If they don’t respond with vigor and enthusiasm, find another dealer. There are good ones out there.
Well said! There's a reason I ordered my Tremor from a dealership almost 500 miles away.

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
Always reminds me of the jingle I heard growing up from one of the local dealers.

"All Fords are created equally, it's your dealer that makes the difference. And that's the truth. "

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Although i agree, the current climate doesnt allow for this. With so many shortages and stuff, people are lucky to find the vehicles they want. I ordered my truck before the shortage and it took me 2 months to find the perfect dealer within my driving treshhold (4 hours). But still thats no longer the case and wont be for a while.

OP
OP
Cobra427

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2018 Escape
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
Although i agree, the current climate doesnt allow for this. With so many shortages and stuff, people are lucky to find the vehicles they want. I ordered my truck before the shortage and it took me 2 months to find the perfect dealer within my driving treshhold (4 hours). But still thats no longer the case and wont be for a while.
Granted, buying a car is changing, and my Shop the Dealer First advice is directed at those who will be ordering online. You get to choose your dealer when placing the order, so like you did, people should ensure the dealer is worthy of your business. The old model of shopping inventory is fading away.
Sponsored