• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I’ve been stopping by Four Wheel Campers to have the engineers check out the Lightning on my way to work. This last time they actually fitted the Raven to see how it would fit and squat on the Lightning. I also confirmed the rear bed plugs are accessible from inside the camper to be used as auxiliary. They want to make sure it will work before I get the green light to build one and buy it. If they say no, I will put a topper on it. Just waiting for their word now. Im guessing I will get about a little over 200 miles on a full charge.I would be happy with that.
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning 0C4AC353-EA07-4483-AA2F-F8C07F7680AB
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning 76DBD806-2DCB-46C4-A940-7198852D4C0C
Ford F-150 Lightning Slide in Pop-up Camper by Four Wheel Campers being assessed for Lightning 56FAD32A-34DE-4B38-87DB-286CA5AD0DCD
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I don't know if you saw this, but TFL Truck did something similar.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I don't know if you saw this, but TFL Truck did something similar.

I did. Thank you. I watched every video on it and actually stopped by the day they dropped off their Lightning to get the topper put on it. If it wasn’t for their detailed experiment, I wouldn’t be looking into the slide in version.

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2013 Fiesta
Awesome! I’m really interested to hear about what your range looks like with the slide-in. I’d like to take that route, if the ER can still hit 200+ miles on a charge in relatively decent weather with it then it’s super tempting.

No version/chance to keep the tailgate with the slide-in, right?

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
They actually said you can keep the tailgate on, like in the pictures, but I plan on removing it to save weight. If you wanted to close the tailgate, I don’t think it will work.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
How does that not exceed payload when you add in gear and people?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
How does that not exceed payload when you add in gear and people?
The Raven models start out around 1000 pounds, so you could make it work with most Lightning trims.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The Raven models start out around 1000 pounds, so you could make it work with most Lightning trims.
Assuming a payload of 1,600 pounds.

600 left. 200 pound driver = 400 left. This assumes no added accessories. Now you have to fill the camper with supplies, bedding, etc. And then bring people on the trip.

Yeah, love to see a person use real world numbers, and a scale, and see how that works out.

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Assuming a payload of 1,600 pounds.

600 left. 200 pound driver = 400 left. This assumes no added accessories. Now you have to fill the camper with supplies, bedding, etc. And then bring people on the trip.

Yeah, love to see a person use real world numbers, and a scale, and see how that works out.
I hear you Rick! It’s really easy to start throwing things in and inviting a couple of friends, or family, and not pay attention to weight. I’m planning this out carefully and not 100% sure I will buy this particular model that comes in at 1040lbs. They are not sure they will sell it to me at this point. I still might go with the topper Project M that weighs 450 lbs.

I’m 185-190lbs and my sticker is 1733 for payload. That’s about 500 lbs for my dogs and some gear. The Project M topper comes in at 450lbs, so that’s about 1,093 lbs for my gear and person I bring, or dogs. Either way it will work out for my situation.

Sponsored

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER; 2013 Fiesta
A friend of mine has run a slide-in in his ICE truck that's about 1000lbs over his payload capacity for about five years had hasn't ever had a problem (he did put airbags on it though). Wondering how long it'll be before we see that 'test' happening on the Lightning 😉

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
A friend of mine has run a slide-in in his ICE truck that's about 1000lbs over his payload capacity for about five years had hasn't ever had a problem (he did put airbags on it though). Wondering how long it'll be before we see that 'test' happening on the Lightning 😉
I just got my Lightning weighed at a local weigh station for DMV and it came at 6820 with a 90 lbs Retrax Pro cover on it, otherwise it was empty like it came from factory. My GVWR is 8550. Also I read the tailgate which will be off is 75lbs and 45lbs with retractable step. Feeling very comfortable with standard Raven and definitely shell Raven for weight.

I just emailed Four Wheel Camper the official weight paperwork. BTW my onboard scale is broken, even after trying to reset it befor visiting scale station, on board shows 436lbs on my truck! I wasn’t even in it! Piece of junk!

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I got the green light from Four Wheel Campers. My father and I made our build and just put our deposit down. We have a late April build date. I guess I’m going to be the first to test this slide in pop up out on the Lightning 😀😂

I went to PNW overland last year in Redmond Oregon and was amazed how big an event it was. I vowed to go back and camp the weekend. I figured I would come back in my Bronco and camp, but now…🤔

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
I got the green light from Four Wheel Campers. My father and I made our build and just put our deposit down. We have a late April build date. I guess I’m going to be the first to test this slide in pop up out on the Lightning 😀😂

I went to PNW overland last year in Redmond Oregon and was amazed how big an event it was. I vowed to go back and camp the weekend. I figured I would come back in my Bronco and camp, but now…🤔
Awesome! I got may name on the Lightning reservation list rather late (Oct 2021 - one of the last before it got closed). I have been thinking all along of the fully electrified camper experience. I really like the Scout Yoho but it is a hardshell so a much higher profile than the pop-up you are planning for.....so much lower range.

I hope you document your experiences here. I will be following closely! Best of luck

OP
OP
Oneand0

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Awesome! I got may name on the Lightning reservation list rather late (Oct 2021 - one of the last before it got closed). I have been thinking all along of the fully electrified camper experience. I really like the Scout Yoho but it is a hardshell so a much higher profile than the pop-up you are planning for.....so much lower range.

I hope you document your experiences here. I will be following closely! Best of luck
Thank you for the luck! I’m picking it up May 10th. I’m definitely going to document my experience. I live in Lake Tahoe, so first I plan on taking a complete drive around the lake without it, then around with it. Not scientific, but, something to gauge. I’ll document the pros and cons and do some other tests to share the experience.
Sponsored