• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual)

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
Our XLTs and Pro trims don't have a sliding rear window. Not even an option for us unfortunately. I had an aftermarket manual sliding window installed yesterday. It's the same glass size from the previous generation F150. I wanted the window for trips to Home Depot. I haul around 2x4s and pipe often enough and I hate having those stick out a few feet past the bed. It's just easier to load and tie down if I can stick 8 or 10ft items through the window.

I initially wanted to do an OEM power sliding window however the wiring is not there. Buying the hardware and switch isn't a big deal, but I didn't really want to run my own wiring in such a new truck. I went with this aftermarket manual option. It was cheaper and solves my use case.

If you're in SoCal, I went to JDS AutoGlass in El Monte. They also sell on eBay and ship nationwide. They import the glass themselves from China and apparently supply a lot of other shops. The prices seemed very affordable and I'm happy with this.

Cost: the whole window was $289 and I paid them $100 to install it.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual) 20221018_141142

Ford F-150 Lightning Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual) 20221018_141227

Ford F-150 Lightning Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual) 20221018_142123

The factory sealant was pretty thin over on the lower right hand side. They definitely made sure there would be enough on the replacement window.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual) 20221018_144120

Its all flush and clean like the original. Yeah it doesn't say FORD on the glass but the price was right. I wish aftermarket glass companies would instead put no logo. Just adds no value seeing another brand on the truck. I'll wait 2 days and water test the seals.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sliding Rear Window Retrofit (Manual) 20221019_092526

The replacement glass has defroster wiring. You can see the trace lines a little more than stock around the window opening. It's more visible in direct sunlight but otherwise not really noticeable. I don't have any pictures of the OEM Power Slider inside to compare to that. If someone could post one and I could speak to the interior differences. Only the top part of the window frame is visible from inside. It doesn't really seem to stand out.

I think the manual window option fits the XLT and Pro trims. Wish Ford would have given us this as a factory option. The glass is just glued in place, so I cannot lay any weight through the window on the glass directly. However the seat back will support the material weight. I'm looking at making a brace / rail back there so I can keep materials off the seat fabric and off the glass. I'd like to be able to slide 2x4 and pipe in and out without tearing up the seat. It also needs to be strong so I can tied that stuff down. That project is to be continued...
Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Thanks for suggestion...how does the defrost work for the sliding window? Did you consider a roof rack?

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Any updates on this? How has it worked? Did you have wiring for the rear defrost?

OP
OP
GunRack

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any updates on this? How has it worked? Did you have wiring for the rear defrost?
I use it all the time. The bottom of the window is getting chewed up a bit because I keep putting things through it. I was warned about this and ignored it. Defrost works fine as far as I can tell, but I think I've only used it twice here in SoCal.

I do have water penetration into the cab from somewhere. I still haven't found the source but I'm somewhat suspect if its the rear window now. I initially thought it was coming from the windshield but I'm unsure. I need to remove the back seat to test the rear window and I haven't done that yet. So not sure on that part.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Nice! I've got a pro so I don't currently have rear defrost. Dunno if the wires are there to hook it up or not

Sponsored
OP
OP
GunRack

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice! I've got a pro so I don't currently have rear defrost. Dunno if the wires are there to hook it up or not
I suspect it won't be. We've seen in options like power visitor mirrors, sliding rear window, keyless entry pad, Ford didn't include the wiring for lower spec trucks. Seems like they figured out how to limit that and save costs.

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
I suspect it won't be. We've seen in options like power visitor mirrors, sliding rear window, keyless entry pad, Ford didn't include the wiring for lower spec trucks. Seems like they figured out how to limit that and save costs.
Buncha jerks...

OP
OP
GunRack

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles