• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sneaky Dealerships

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Escalade, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Just sitting here killing time on Cars.com and I come across this…

Ford F-150 Lightning Sneaky Dealerships F024F842-CC17-4572-A853-5771E8975709

Ford F-150 Lightning Sneaky Dealerships 8D00F95F-104C-4FF1-921B-3C2D3D058631
Sponsored

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Let the Shenanigans commence.

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
That VIN# denotes a Mannequin, which, according to Ford, cannot be sold by the Dealer for 6 months after delivery to the Dealer. The Dealer, however, can pre-sell it with delivery to the customer after the 6 months has elapsed. The only thing "Sneaky" would be the mark up of $15,000, which this Dealer is probably also charging on it's Reservation Orders (if any). Given the stated MSRP, this is a Basic XLT with no options (after adding Destination Charge) - not necessarily what I would want to buy - and if the Dealer has multiple offers he will probably start taking the highest bidder.

Buyer Beware!

OP
OP
AZT9

AZT9

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That VIN# denotes a Mannequin, which, according to Ford, cannot be sold by the Dealer for 6 months after delivery to the Dealer. The Dealer, however, can pre-sell it with delivery to the customer after the 6 months has elapsed. The only thing "Sneaky" would be the mark up of $15,000, which this Dealer is probably also charging on it's Reservation Orders (if any). Given the stated MSRP, this is a Basic XLT with no options (after adding Destination Charge) - not necessarily what I would want to buy - and if the Dealer has multiple offers he will probably start taking the highest bidder.

Buyer Beware!
Great investigating skills. I had a hunch that it might be a mannequin. we’re gonna start seeing the bidding wars begin before trucks are even off the trains.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Buyer Beware!
What about that VIN indicated it was a Mannequin?

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
00001 - 002800 (approximate) are dealer stock built first in March.

Probably many are being built out of number sequence since it was really not possible for Ford to build many more than 500-700 per week. **

**My Opinion - No Source

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
00001 - 002800 (approximate) are dealer stock built first in March.

Probably many are being built out of number sequence since it was really not possible for Ford to build many more than 500-700 per week. **

**My Opinion - No Source
Thanks - I assumed likely the same, but you answered that with such authority like there was something there that said Mannequin.

Today seems to be the day dealers are going to ramp up their crazy game. Another one posting their mannequin on FB. He noted it as such and is just taking names of interested parties for the sale in 6 months. However, it is also an XLT, but posted it with pictures of a Platinum.

I truly wonder how many of these guys try to be slimy and see what they can get away with or if they are just that dumb.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Thanks - I assumed likely the same, but you answered that with such authority like there was something there that said Mannequin.

Today seems to be the day dealers are going to ramp up their crazy game. Another one posting their mannequin on FB. He noted it as such and is just taking names of interested parties for the sale in 6 months. However, it is also an XLT, but posted it with pictures of a Platinum.

I truly wonder how many of these guys try to be slimy and see what they can get away with or if they are just that dumb.
@Sdctcher is right--it's a mannequin. The mannequins contain "F001" in the "ITEM #" sequence.

If it was a retail order, the window sticker would state "SPECIAL ORDER" in the box beneath "TOTAL MSRP."

This is an example of a sticker from a retail order.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
While I'm certainly no fan of dealer markups, my axe to grind with them is markup on orders, not inventory. If this is inventory, let them find a sucker willing to pay that markup and make the most of it. It just won't be me.

SCandTC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Lightning
Gotta pay to skip the line

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
While I'm certainly no fan of dealer markups, my axe to grind with them is markup on orders, not inventory. If this is inventory, let them find a sucker willing to pay that markup and make the most of it. It just won't be me.
I agree, but their lack of transparency qualifies as a shenanigan when advertising a vehicle that has never seen their lot, and cannot be sold for six+ months. Sure, an ad that isn't transparent would be but a drop in the ocean of deceptive ads....

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I agree, but their lack of transparency qualifies as a shenanigan when advertising a vehicle that has never seen their lot, and cannot be sold for six+ months. Sure, an ad that isn't transparent would be but a drop in the ocean of deceptive ads....
That's a good point. I suppose they're just trying to line up a buyer early, but that should be disclosed in the description. I find it amusing/lazy that they obviously used a canned description in the seller notes. This thing has power windows!? You'd think for such a special listing they would at least put 5 minutes into the description and copy/paste something from Ford's product page.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Wait...are there dealerships that aren't sneaky? :p

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
Dealers have a pricing tool, Im going to bet this one was dropped into the inventory and the Rules for lighting setup by that dealer are +15k. They will likely leave it to drive foot traffic, not that it matters you cant conceivably get one for 3 years if you walked in today.

jazzmanmonty

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Corsair
Occupation
self employeed
I've run into this a lot on cars .com lately looking for a pickup for my uncle. They'll post a truck saying they have it, you call them and they say to come in to check it out. You get there and they say "sorry its sold, but check out this other truck we have." In one instance, they posted a truck, so i checked ford's dealer inventory website before i called to see if they actually have it. Sure enough it hadn't even arrived to their dealer yet.. still on order.

I'm surprised an attorney hasn't put together a class action lawsuit with all the crap going on. Cars .com needs to step it up too and require better validation if the dealer has a vehicle.. and one step further- force dealerships to disclose ADM when posting.
Sponsored