• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Spray in Bed Liner and Bed Bolts

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Yesterday, I stopped by my local Line-X dealer for a quote on a spray in bed liner. During the course of the conversation, the Line-X dealer stated that they could no longer remove the bed bolts unless I provided a new set. The reason is because Ford apparently issued a bulletin that the bolts are single use. Thus, they will end up spraying over those bolts - just like the OEM provided spray in bed liner.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
According to the age of this thread, it seems like this has been a thing for at least a few years:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1563931-line-x-and-1-time-use-bed-bolts-4.html

Looks like the bolts are some kind of trilobular design that cuts their own threads. Here is an example of a trilobular bolt. Note the odd cross section.

https://www.mcmaster.com/tri-lobula...unded-head-thread-forming-screws-for-plastic/

Strange that the installer wouldn't tape over the bolt heads before spraying, then just peel off afterwards. A few people in that thread say you can peel off the Line-X with a utility knife if you need to get to the bolt head. Some also said the bed may vibrate if reusing the bolts, or you can use Loctite when reinstalling them, though I guess that's not an option if you're taking it to a shop that says they won't reuse them.

How much did they quote you? I hear the Line-X is nicer than OEM and a bit cheaper to boot.

OP
OP

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
As I think about it, spraying over the bolts that hold the bed to the chassis should not be a big problem. Chances are that if you are having to remove the bolts, messing up the spray in bed liner is the least of your problems.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Having LineX done tomorrow. So the consensus is to spray over the bolts eh? Sounds like even supplying new ones comes with risk that it won’t be as tight as original.

Sponsored

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150L Lariat ER, 2020 Niro EV, 1990 300zx TT
Occupation
Senior Compiler Engineer
Having LineX done tomorrow. So the consensus is to spray over the bolts eh? Sounds like even supplying new ones comes with risk that it won’t be as tight as original.
My last truck they had painted over it, and it wasn't a problem. It would PROBABLY be a bigger issue if you ever wanted a 5th wheel or something.

JustaProGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Spray over them, I'll be doing the same based on the recommendation from linex

Alan168

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Platinum, Rapid Red Metallic
Occupation
Retired
FYI, I just had Line-X put a spry-in bedliner on my new Lightning. They said they would NOT guarantee the job if they sprayed over the bed bolts. I talked to the Ford dealer and they said it's ok to remove the bed bolts and reuse them, so that's what Line-X did. For better or worse?!

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Linex sprayed over mine. They said nothing about voiding the warranty. I’ll be pretty upset if that is the case

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
I talked to the shop that did my non-LineX about this -- they sprayed over them, not really sure why you would ever really want to remove them without having to do major work already.
Sponsored