• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SSM 51379 2021-2023 F-150/Transit, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning - Discontinued Features In FordPass

MidniteMayor

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Platinum
SSM 51379 2021-2023 F-150/Transit, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning - Discontinued Features In FordPass
Some 2021-2023 F-150/Transit, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning vehicles may experience issues utilizing the Smart Hitch, ProPower Onboard or Onboard Scales features (if equipped) in the FordPass app. Symptoms may include inability to connect, incorrect data displayed in the app, no weight displayed, unable to power on/off the feature, unable to turn on generator mode (gas vehicles only). The connection for these features has been removed from the Android version of the FordPass app, and will soon be removed from the iOS version. The Smart Hitch and Onboard Scales will also be removed in a future FordPass release expected no later than March 1st, 2023. Full functionality of these features will remain in vehicle, but will not be controllable from FordPass. Advise the customer of the FordPass changes and do not perform any repairs for this concern.
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
I got a notification in Fordpass android regarding this.

Last edited:

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I wonder why they are taking it away now.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Ford is definitely not a software company. I only really use the app to check my charge %, view charge logs (which don't always show up), and when I run out of free kWh I'll uncheck the plug N charge for EA. I used it for the first time yesterday, worked great. It's a shame Ford can't get there act together on the SW front. It will be interesting to see how well GM and Dodge handle their own business. Give it 3-4 years, might be enough to make someone switch.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Mine are gone on iOS, no notifications from Ford. They are likely removing them because they can't get connected to the truck quickly and easily just making the options frustrating to the user. Just back tracking what they can't make work.

Hell, most of the trucks won't have scales anyway because they can't get the parts or something to make them work, so they just pulled them from the builds.

Sponsored

Captain337

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning PRO
Smart hitch and onboard scales removed from My FordPass. I have a ‘22 Pro.
Ford F-150 Lightning SSM 51379   2021-2023 F-150/Transit, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning - Discontinued Features In FordPass 216CCDFB-65D8-4A41-B13D-1ADDD7AF39B6

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Unsurprising considering 2023 Lightnings don’t get the scales. It’s entirely possible that Ford just decides to ditch the feature going forward.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
What's funny to me is that although they may have statistics about how often people use that feature, as long as it's already there, why remove it? Also, how is removing the feature considered enhancing it?

What's funny to me is that in the pre-production announcements, they highlighted how the onboard scales played a role in calculating range estimates. Meanwhile my XLT and all 23s don't have an onboard scale.

PS... I'm not an engineer or a physicist, but I know that technically, as long as they know the angle of the vehicle, they can actually estimate the total cargo without a scale using Newton's laws of physics.

An empty truck with one driver will use less energy to accelerate than a truck full of concrete bags and 4 passengers. They can calculate the weight by comparing the power consumed vs the average used (at the same angle).

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Well maybe I was the only guy using the scales. It was one of the main features that kept me from turning my truck in as a lemon (was looking for a power boost, but they were missing so many features I’ve gotten used to). Yes the scale is still there but the remote display made it so nice. Ford should just open the API and let app developers make apps that work.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Fordpass is an app, owned by Ford and built to what Ford wanted. Not EV owners. Ford can change anything in the app they want to at any time. Anything Ford says the app can do for EV owners is just marketing to get folks to download it.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Merging with original thread opened earlier

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
actually a little annoyed by this, not because I used the feature much (and it still works from within the truck) but it shows Ford's solution to software problems it really should be able to fix is to remove the feature altogether - and that's not good enough.

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
How many trucks actually have the onboard scales? I assume maybe 10,000? Rather than worry about the cost of constant updates for the small percentage people with the feature, this unfortunately is the easy way out.

I don’t use the feature all that much, and the fact it's just a line and not an actual weight shared, makes it less useful than I originally expected it would be. However, I'm somewhat nervous a future update to the in-vehicle OS could take out the feature altogether with this precedent.
Sponsored