• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Standard Range Battery vs Extended Range Battery

bfjeld

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ram 1500 Sport , 2014 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Power Engineer
Is the upcharge worth it for 70 miles of range? Torque is the same so 0-60 can't be much different. A lot of older homes will need big infrastructure upgrades to take advantage of the 80A charge station like my place. I have 100 amp service to my home and am already near capacity with hot tub and heated floors etc. No way i can fully utilize the 80A and the cost to trench a new line etc is way more than i'm willing to put in for a few hours saved charging. I'm thinking of just going standard range and doing load management on the charging station so it will prioritize house utilities over charging vehicle.
My use could be a lot different as well...mostly just a commuter with no towing at all or loads in the box that often. Alberta is famous for having trucks that aren't used as trucks.
Sponsored

Aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
In my area alot of trucks don't see much use in the bed either.
My commute can permit going to the standard range and will be fine on trips just have to stay at the DCFC a few minutes longer to get the range to get to the destination.
The standard range will weigh slightly less due to a smaller battery which should give a slightly better 'fuel economy'.

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150
Well, everyone talking about 400+ miles on the extended range battery. So maybe the standard range would be 300+ miles. Standard range would suite most people anyway.

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Last edited:

shikataganai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
100 series Land Cruiser, Pacifica Hybrid
From the various videos I gathered that the standard range (426 hp/775 lb-ft) will be right around 5.0 seconds 0-60. Half second slower than the extended range at 563 hp, which is just fine.

Sponsored

RangerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger
Also note you might lose some range if up north, with colder weather.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Yeah, sounds like Standard Range would work fine for you. The 0-60 difference will be relatively small (same torque, less weight, etc.), doesn't seem like you need the range, and you're not going to use the home backup anyway.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Another thing to consider is the deterioration of range over time. I have a 2011 Chevy Volt, which had a range of 35 miles (before the gas engine kicks in) when it was new. After almost 11 years, that's down to closer to 25 miles -- a 28% loss. Maybe Li-ion battery tech improvements in the past decade will make a dent in that, but just something to be aware of. If you plan to keep your electric vehicle going for 20 years, a (very expensive) battery replacement is likely in the cards.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Another thing to consider is the deterioration of range over time. I have a 2011 Chevy Volt, which had a range of 35 miles (before the gas engine kicks in) when it was new. After almost 11 years, that's down to closer to 25 miles -- a 28% loss. Maybe Li-ion battery tech improvements in the past decade will make a dent in that, but just something to be aware of. If you plan to keep your electric vehicle going for 20 years, a (very expensive) battery replacement is likely in the cards.
28% after 10+ years, is actually pretty good. As Ford says:
Battery is covered for 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, retaining a minimum of 70% of its original capacity over that period.
Of course Ford's battery won't be charged to 100% and has better thermal management than Volt.

Sponsored

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Of course Ford's battery won't be charged to 100% and has better thermal management than Volt.
I don't know much about the thermal management for Ford, but the Volt's was pretty advanced, certainly for its time (ie compared to the Leaf). It only charged to 80% and discharged to 30% (at least for the 2011, they narrowed that range slightly in Gen2/3 Volts), and they also had a dedicated cooling system for the batteries, and a 100k/8year warranty, same as Ford. Overall I've been very happy with it.

Diabolical!

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'11 F250, '17 Chevy Volt, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I'm coming from a Volt as well. I'm actually surprised at the amount of degradation your 2011 battery has experienced. My first Volt was a 2015 that I bought new. I was able to regularly get 40+ miles from the battery from the time I bought it until I replaced it last year with a used 2017 Volt.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I'm coming from a Volt as well. I'm actually surprised at the amount of degradation your 2011 battery has experienced. My first Volt was a 2015 that I bought new. I was able to regularly get 40+ miles from the battery from the time I bought it until I replaced it last year with a used 2017 Volt.
age of the battery is a part of degradation. The other part is the is the number of cycles and how close to the top and bottom limits you charge and discharge. For the the same number of miles a battery the size of volt will have to put up with a lot more abuse than a battery pack size of lightening. I am hoping with what they have learned on how to baby the battery, we will do a bit better but no matter how well we do, we will lose range.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
300 miles is minimum. Plan for 50% usable range, during winter, even without towing.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
All OEMs have learned to derate the batteries...some more than others. We just dropped the battery of a new vehicle we've been testing and while the range said 1 mile left, the battery voltage was still 371 V. 100% SOC was somewhere around 420 V IIRC. We've already have started to pull apart the modules to get down to the cell level for our standard suite of testing.
Sponsored