• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Standard Range Fee for activating Home Backup

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
Last night during the charging live stream our buddy mentioned an undisclosed activation fee to enable the standard range battery to do the Home Backup. Does any one have any more info on this? It doesn’t seem to apply to the extended range vehicles. The fee is on top of also having to purchase the $1310 80 amp For Pro Wall charge and the Sun run equipment. I’d say to get a standard range battery to do Home Backup we’ll need at least $8k above and beyond the base vehicle price.
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
it IS true that the ER battery pack requires more/larger inverter/chargers for it's capabilities, and maybe that is what allows it to more easily integrate with the Sunrun home system - although I have heard nothing that specifically alludes to the SR battery not being able to do the same. I also imagine that you can easily use the 240v 30amp outlet on the rear of the bed for 'whole house' power thru a subpanel or main panel interlock, just the same.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
From the the "playbook", it indicates you would purchase from owner.Ford.com for what it is worth.

Ford F-150 Lightning Standard Range Fee for activating Home Backup 1647628263329

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Last night during the charging live stream our buddy mentioned an undisclosed activation fee to enable the standard range battery to do the Home Backup. Does any one have any more info on this? It doesn’t seem to apply to the extended range vehicles. The fee is on top of also having to purchase the $1310 80 amp For Pro Wall charge and the Sun run equipment. I’d say to get a standard range battery to do Home Backup we’ll need at least $8k above and beyond the base vehicle price.
I thought I read somewhere that activation is included with the purchase of the Pro Charger

Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
What a racket!!
Hush now, before they get the bright idea of charging a “low monthly fee” to keep the home backup active. These days it feels like you’re getting a deal if a one time activation fee is all they rip you off with!

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Hush now, before they get the bright idea of charging a “low monthly fee” to keep the home backup active. These days it feels like you’re getting a deal if a one time activation fee is all they rip you off with!
That's the cellular connection requirement, which is included for ?? months.

OP
OP
JPro

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
From the the "playbook", it indicates you would purchase from owner.Ford.com for what it is worth.

1647628263329.png
It will be interesting to see how much said "activation" fee is???

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
That's the cellular connection requirement, which is included for ?? months.
Usually 5 years...assuming they dont include a 3G modem that eventually gets phased out (ahem, SolarEdge) which then requires a replacement.

the good news is these usually have capability for a wifi card as well.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Guess the pro charger would also need a gizmo to adapt for non-dc cars?? Unless there are two cords.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Usually 5 years...assuming they dont include a 3G modem that eventually gets phased out (ahem, SolarEdge) which then requires a replacement.

the good news is these usually have capability for a wifi card as well.
Wifi is good as long as you have an UPS for your router/access point/INT. Otherwise you'll have no connectivity. I have an UPS so I would opt for wifi over cellular if it means no monthly fee.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
Wifi is good as long as you have an UPS for your router/access point/INT. Otherwise you'll have no connectivity. I have an UPS so I would opt for wifi over cellular if it means no monthly fee.
It may be ok to have no connectivity, there also still might be connectivity w/o a separate UPS system. We're speculating here, so that's the disclaimer. We really need to see the manual to know how this works for this particular case.

But usually the internet accessibility is for monitoring and reporting. On my SMA microgrid as an example, it'll flip over regardless of whether it's internet connected or not. But having internet connectivity allows it to be monitored via app, send notifications, etc.

So in the event of an outage my SMA inverter senses the outage, the transfer switch flips and creates a microgrid. It switches it's source power from grid to battery at that point. If the router is not on my critical backup panel, it simply keeps operating but won't report. While the system itself requires internet connectivity, it doesn't require the connectivity to flip to backup.

If the router is on the backup panel, then a separate UPS shouldn't be needed if it works the same way. I would like to think this works largely in the same way but it's hard to tell. I am leaning that it does still work that way since the cellular connectivity also requires power - although that's a much easier solve by throwing in a small battery inside the inverter to bridge any communication for activation.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It may be ok to have no connectivity, there also still might be connectivity w/o a separate UPS system. We're speculating here, so that's the disclaimer. We really need to see the manual to know how this works for this particular case.

But usually the internet accessibility is for monitoring and reporting. On my SMA microgrid as an example, it'll flip over regardless of whether it's internet connected or not. But having internet connectivity allows it to be monitored via app, send notifications, etc.

So in the event of an outage my SMA inverter senses the outage, the transfer switch flips and creates a microgrid. It switches it's source power from grid to battery at that point. If the router is not on my critical backup panel, it simply keeps operating but won't report. While the system itself requires internet connectivity, it doesn't require the connectivity to flip to backup.

If the router is on the backup panel, then a separate UPS shouldn't be needed if it works the same way. I would like to think this works largely in the same way but it's hard to tell. I am leaning that it does still work that way since the cellular connectivity also requires power - although that's a much easier solve by throwing in a small battery inside the inverter to bridge any communication for activation.
Cellular comms won't be needed to go to back-up, but Enphase is example of having to normally maintain cellular comms to make sure you don't stay off grid.
Sponsored