• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Suspension identical SR versus ER?

Ajjra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
Do the standard range and extended range Lariat models have identical suspension components or are the dampers and/or spring rates changed to accommodate any differences?
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As far as I know they are the same. Both have the same GVWR, to SR trims just get more cargo capacity, so no reason for them to be different.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Do the standard range and extended range Lariat models have identical suspension components or are the dampers and/or spring rates changed to accommodate any differences?
I haven't ripped them apart but my Pro SR and Lariat ER appear to have the same suspension components.

That said...the Pro SR rides better than the Lariat ER. The Pro rides like an old school caddy, it's soft and floats like a boat. The Lariat isn't harsh but you definitely feel the road more. Some of it is due to the wheel/tire combo as well but that weight is noticeable on the suspension.

OP
OP
Ajjra

Ajjra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat
I haven't ripped them apart but my Pro SR and Lariat ER appear to have the same suspension components.

That said...the Pro SR rides better than the Lariat ER. The Pro rides like an old school caddy, it's soft and floats like a boat. The Lariat isn't harsh but you definitely feel the road more. Some of it is due to the wheel/tire combo as well but that weight is noticeable on the suspension.
if you ever put 18 inch wheels on your lariat ER please let us know how the ride is. I’m curious how much of a difference you’re feeling is the wheel and tire combo and how much of it is the extra weight. My suspicion is that it’s the wheels and tires more than the weight difference.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
if you ever put 18 inch wheels on your lariat ER please let us know how the ride is. I’m curious how much of a difference you’re feeling is the wheel and tire combo and how much of it is the extra weight. My suspicion is that it’s the wheels and tires more than the weight difference.
I imagine it's 90% wheels/tires and 10% weight. When I do the swap from 18 inch snow tires to 20 inch summer tires on my car, it drives like a completely different vehicle.

I'm guessing someone on the forum is doing a winter to summer swap on the Lightning, maybe we'll see someone comment to confirm.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat

I agree with this. The Pro felt a lot softer to me than my ER, and I think better over bumps. The weight difference is noticeable. It's around 700 lbs IIRC.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
It's possible but keep in mind the 18s are on All Terrains while the 20s are all seasons. So it's also possible the tire stiffness cancels out the extra rubber. The difference from the 22 Platinum Wheels to the 20s were also noticeable though.

I know on the Rivian the 22s (High Perf. All Season) ride harsher than the 21s (All Season) but the 22s ride about the same as the 20s (All Terrain).

I'll have to run the same test on the Lightning as well.

I agree with this. The Pro felt a lot softer to me than my ER, and I think better over bumps. The weight difference is noticeable. It's around 700 lbs IIRC.
I have to dig up my CAT weight slip. I think it was almost a 900lb difference on the scales.

It was almost amusing as the cheapest one was the more "luxurious" in terms of ride quality and noise isolation. I'm not sure what else it could be but my guess is that between the moonroof, the rear window, the Lariat ends up with more noise than the Pro.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
It's possible but keep in mind the 18s are on All Terrains while the 20s are all seasons. So it's also possible the tire stiffness cancels out the extra rubber. The difference from the 22 Platinum Wheels to the 20s were also noticeable though.

I know on the Rivian the 22s (High Perf. All Season) ride harsher than the 21s (All Season) but the 22s ride about the same as the 20s (All Terrain).

I'll have to run the same test on the Lightning as well.

I have to dig up my CAT weight slip. I think it was almost a 900lb difference on the scales.

It was almost amusing as the cheapest one was the more "luxurious" in terms of ride quality and noise isolation. I'm not sure what else it could be but my guess is that between the moonroof, the rear window, the Lariat ends up with more noise than the Pro.
True on the A/T tires, but the factory A/Ts on the Lightning are REALLY weak / light duty A/Ts. I wouldn't expect that much stiffness difference.

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat

Yeah, I drove a very stripped down Pro, a Lariat SR, and purchased a Lariat ER.

The Pro (sans moonroof) was the quietest, both in terms of wind and noise over bumpy roads. It felt the most isolated. Also the best ride as we've said. I think Edmunds also mentioned the ride quality being better in SR.

Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I replaced Platinum all-seasons with Lariat ATs and noticed zero difference. Maybe the test instrument wasn't precise enough.🤷‍♂️

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Lariat ends up with more noise than the Pro.
For sure with the big glass roof alone.

Also, every different tire size and type will give a different ride. I'm looking at next winter for some 18's but I might just go with the 20's, I don't want to lose more range in the winter.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
I replaced Platinum all-seasons with Lariat ATs and noticed zero difference. Maybe the test instrument wasn't precise enough.🤷‍♂️
I think it’s the size vs compound. You probably lost flex with the ATs, but gained flex with the larger sidewall. Net 0 difference.

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
I'm not sure a butt recalibration is readily available or what that would look like.:ROFLMAO:

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I think it’s the size vs compound. You probably lost flex with the ATs, but gained flex with the larger sidewall. Net 0 difference.
Maybe I'll put the 22s on the left and the 20s on the right and see if I notice a difference. Or maybe front and back.🤔
Sponsored