• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing?

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Hello all!

Installing the tailgate extender and went to put the bolts in. Well I just realized neither hole had threads! Is there a thread kit? I remember my 2011 I had to buy a specific bolt, but I don't see anything anywhere about that...

Part number: SKML3J-99286A40-AA

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? 20220821_130417
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? 20220821_130411
Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Take the inserts you get and put them in a vise and start cutting the threads with one of the bolts you're provided, doesn't matter which one. You want to start those threads before you try to put that insert in or you'll have a helluva time getting that bolt started. After getting the threads started the installation can be done with one person but with a helper on one of the ratchets it would be easier I imagine.

My '21 Powerboost still had the threaded inserts...so when I ordered the extender for the Lightning and found out that they no longer had the inserts pressed in already I was surprised. But it's in and done. Since I use a bedrug I went with the shorter bumpers instead of the taller ones. Oh, and I did *not* drill the hole in my tailgate. I've had three trucks with extenders and never drilled that hole in the tailgate. The extender locks down on both sides and that's been enough to keep the extender secure without needing that hole for the rod to go through.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? Extender

Last edited:
OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Take the inserts you get and put them in a vise and start cutting the threads with one of the bolts you're provided, doesn't matter which one. You want to start those threads before you try to put that insert in or you'll have a helluva time getting that bolt started. After getting the threads started the installation can be done with one person but with a helper on one of the ratchets it would be easier I imagine.

My '21 Powerboost still had the threaded inserts...so when I ordered the extender for the Lightning and found out that they no longer had the inserts pressed in already I was surprised. But it's in and done. Since I use a bedrug I went with the shorter bumpers instead of the taller ones. Oh, and I did *not* drill the hole in my tailgate. I've had three trucks with extenders and never drilled that hole in the tailgate. The extender locks down on both sides and that's been enough to keep the extender secure without needing that hole for the rod to go through.

Extender.png
Just to clarify what inserts are you speaking of?

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023 Mach-E GT-PE
Just to clarify what inserts are you speaking of?
There should have been two roughly 2 1/2" in diameter washers with a slightly beveled edge and a circular unthreaded bushing pressed into the center of them in the kit you got. That's what you have to thread the bolts into because Ford apparently stopped attaching the unthreaded bushing directly into the center hole on the tailgate support frame like they've done on previous model years. They may still sell a version of the kit that is intended for previous model years that does not include these backing washers, but you need the version that has them for the Lightning.

Hopefully the extender kit version you got was the same as this one:
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? Extender kit

The "B" version replaces the older one (-A) that didn't need the backing washers with the bushing in them. If you wanted to use this "B" version kit on a previous model year that had the bushings in the frame already you can, you just don't use the backing washers in the kit, but you do need them on newer trucks.

The backing washers are shown as item "F" in the instructions.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There should have been two roughly 2 1/2" in diameter washers with a slightly beveled edge and a circular unthreaded bushing pressed into the center of them in the kit you got. That's what you have to thread the bolts into because Ford apparently stopped attaching the unthreaded bushing directly into the center hole on the tailgate support frame like they've done on previous model years. They may still sell a version of the kit that is intended for previous model years that does not include these backing washers, but you need the version that has them for the Lightning.

Hopefully the extender kit version you got was the same as this one:
Extender kit.png

The "B" version replaces the older one (-A) that didn't need the backing washers with the bushing in them. If you wanted to use this "B" version kit on a previous model year that had the bushings in the frame already you can, you just don't use the backing washers in the kit, but you do need them on newer trucks.

The backing washers are shown as item "F" in the attached instructions.
Okay that makes sense and why I had no idea what you are talking about and confused why @Regular150 was pointing me to the instructions. There is no washer and no mention of washer/removing taillights in the instructions. They shipped me the "AA" version.
SKML3J-99286A40-AA

So now it's a fight with Ford to return or get the washer; ugh! This was direct from the shop page with a 2022 F150 put in...

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Okay that makes sense and why I had no idea what you are talking about and confused why @Regular150 was pointing me to the instructions. There is no washer and no mention of washer/removing taillights in the instructions. They shipped me the "AA" version.
SKML3J-99286A40-AA

So now it's a fight with Ford to return or get the washer; ugh! This was direct from the shop page with a 2022 F150 put in...
Hang in there, you'll get it done 👍.

OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford is being real jerks about it... Refusing to return as I'm at 80
days... Not like they didn't mismark it on the website.

Really frustrating as I ordered it 4 weeks after build date, with dealer saying expect 6 weeks. Due to delays in truck and then busy month just got to installing it...

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
So if they won't return it, I think something like this would work.
Metal Magery Steel PRE-BULBED Shank Threaded Insert Multi Grip Rivet Nut 5/16-18 X .020-.280 Grip Range Gold Zinc Finish (Pack of 25) https://a.co/d/igfLjSK

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nate977p

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So if they won't return it, I think something like this would work.
Metal Magery Steel PRE-BULBED Shank Threaded Insert Multi Grip Rivet Nut 5/16-18 X .020-.280 Grip Range Gold Zinc Finish (Pack of 25) https://a.co/d/igfLjSK
I removed the taillights and used M10-1.50 nuts from Lowe’s
ACC1F588-CF0D-4499-8389-B000645970AF.jpeg
Pardon the delay here! We pushed Ford hard and kept escalating to no avail.

I was pissed off and was just going to sell this and buy the right one, but realized thats stupid and I was being irrational. Not worth losing the money just to be stubborn to have the "right" bolt.

As for longevity and rust issues, what metal type fastener should I grab? I know certain metals contacting aluminum long-term can have adverse reactions.

@CVDUDE, Few questions - did you need washers? Do those bolts contact the metal of the bed or is there some sort of plate back there?

Thanks all! Pardon I know I am over thinking this, but just want to avoid future corrosion.

CVDUDE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR

I was pissed off and was just going to sell this and buy the right one, but realized thats stupid and I was being irrational. Not worth losing the money just to be stubborn to have the "right" bolt.

As for longevity and rust issues, what metal type fastener should I grab? I know certain metals contacting aluminum long-term can have adverse reactions.

@CVDUDE, Few questions - did you need washers? Do those bolts contact the metal of the bed or is there some sort of plate back there?

Thanks all! Pardon I know I am over thinking this, but just want to avoid future corrosion.
See below for the washers I installed.
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? EF000516-1A90-4BE0-A854-35F86D6A0280
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? C8D8D8CB-26F1-453D-9E3C-E39272E57B20
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? B1F86FF6-5C43-4AA5-8D6C-83BAFE37C400
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate Extender - Bolt Threads Missing? 20BC022E-36B3-48D1-BE17-986057EE5D4D

asianman35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Antimatter Blue Pro

See below for the washers I installed.
EF000516-1A90-4BE0-A854-35F86D6A0280.jpeg
C8D8D8CB-26F1-453D-9E3C-E39272E57B20.jpeg
B1F86FF6-5C43-4AA5-8D6C-83BAFE37C400.jpeg
20BC022E-36B3-48D1-BE17-986057EE5D4D.jpeg
How hard is it to pull the taillights out? I thought I read someone say that you have to pull pretty hard to get those plastic fasteners/pins off and it feels like you might break the light?

CVDUDE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR
How hard is it to pull the taillights out? I thought I read someone say that you have to pull pretty hard to get those plastic fasteners/pins off and it feels like you might break the light?
If you look at the second picture in my post, you can see that the holes for the pins are at an angle. I pulled and got the top pin to come out and then got the bottom pin to release.
Sponsored