• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate latching loud noise

xmodel94

First Name
alyssa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Occupation
Truck driver
I have a Lariat and when the automatic liftgate latches, it makes a loud metallic clank sound. This happened at the dealer and I asked to see if the other Lightnings do the same he asked us to drive around to the other side of the building where there were some parked. After driving around, we tried it again and the sound was gone and it was a soft click when latching. Now that it's home, it is again making the loud metallic clank sound. Anyone with the same issue?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow Iconic Silver
Occupation
Retired
Was the truck parked at an odd angle, slight body cocking might cause that sound.

Who764

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
I have noticed this recently as well. It doesn't happen every time, but when I heard that loud metallic sound it took me off guard. I have over 10,000 miles on the truck at this point and have treated it as a truck (to an extent) so I just chalked it up to the truck being "used." I don't recall it being on an angle, but that would be a good test.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have a Lariat and when the automatic liftgate latches, it makes a loud metallic clank sound. This happened at the dealer and I asked to see if the other Lightnings do the same he asked us to drive around to the other side of the building where there were some parked. After driving around, we tried it again and the sound was gone and it was a soft click when latching. Now that it's home, it is again making the loud metallic clank sound. Anyone with the same issue?
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

frautumn

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I had this issue when I first got my 22 Lariat SR in July last year. It did it for a couple of weeks and then went away on its own, has sounded normal since then. It was definitely a worrying loud metal crunching sound though.

Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Mine is quiet sometimes and loud as hell other times. Always latches tight though. It doesn't really bother me but it startles others around me occasionally.

e-Trucka

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2021 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Enterprise Cloud Architect
Same here, a loud metal click. Cycle the tailgate process a few times and it went away. It returns when not in use for a bit. I chalked it up to newness of the latching mechanism. I use the bed a lot on the weekends and the sounds goes away after heavy use. I too hope that this is a normal break-in sound.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Same here, a loud metal click. Cycle the tailgate process a few times and it went away. It returns when not in use for a bit. I chalked it up to newness of the latching mechanism. I use the bed a lot on the weekends and the sounds goes away after heavy use. I too hope that this is a normal break-in sound.
Hi Ruben! I can look into your Lightning's noise concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Lightning's VIN?
Sponsored