• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tailgate options - anything better than that giant F-150 lettering?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So I know this has been the standard for a few years, but for me - that giant F-150 across the back is really just kind of hideous, and the way it comes from the factory very cheap looking. Knowing what they've done with the Platinum and King Ranch in the past I feel they missed a great opportunity here to set the Lightning apart.

Anyone have ideas other than enhancing that with the many vinyl or raised stick on letters which are available? I'd very much consider a Platinum style metal band with a cut out or back lighted "Lightning". Should be super easy to have power to tap into for those with the upgraded tailgate and light bar.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition, 2022 Lightning Platinum
So I know this has been the standard for a few years, but for me - that giant F-150 across the back is really just kind of hideous, and the way it comes from the factory very cheap looking. Knowing what they've done with the Platinum and King Ranch in the past I feel they missed a great opportunity here to set the Lightning apart.

Anyone have ideas other than enhancing that with the many vinyl or raised stick on letters which are available? I'd very much consider a Platinum style metal band with a cut out or back lighted "Lightning". Should be super easy to have power to tap into for those with the upgraded tailgate and light bar.
maybe something that says "GM Cybertruck" in big letters, with "Not" on top in really small letters. really confuse people.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Last edited:

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I have seen the US flag decals over the F150 tailgate and love it:
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate options - anything better than that giant F-150 lettering? DSC04915_480x480

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just being up front, it still isn't my real preference, but I must admit it looks better highlighting the F-150 vs just seeing the impression on the tailgate, which from the factory just looks cheap and unfinished. Absolutely no offense to anyone with a lower Pro or XL/XLT trim level, but the factory look is what I'd expect for them. Ford just really missed the mark to dress this up or redesign for upper trim levels.

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VE Jetta, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Family Physician
Just being up front, it still isn't my real preference, but I must admit it looks better highlighting the F-150 vs just seeing the impression on the tailgate, which from the factory just looks cheap and unfinished. Absolutely no offense to anyone with a lower Pro or XL/XLT trim level, but the factory look is what I'd expect for them. Ford just really missed the mark to dress this up or redesign for upper trim levels.
I’m the opposite. I hate the Platinum and other large silver/chrome plates on the back. One reason why I would rather get an optioned out Lariat F150 instead of a Platinum or higher. I love the simple F150 lettering. Everyone has a preference, but this way it gives you plenty to customize by giving you a blank slate.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I’m the opposite. I hate the Platinum and other large silver/chrome plates on the back. One reason why I would rather get an optioned out Lariat F150 instead of a Platinum or higher. I love the simple F150 lettering. Everyone has a preference, but this way it gives you plenty to customize by giving you a blank slate.
That is a good view and open to options and opinions since Ford didn't ask any of us. But to not miss my biggest complaint I think anything that stretches 4' wide to show your make is a bit much. make no mistake all the other makes are doing it too, so it is just the thing to do these days I guess.

Last edited:

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
You can always try to hide the model by placing a vehicle vinyl wrap on the tailgate:
Ford F-150 Lightning Tailgate options - anything better than that giant F-150 lettering? s-l400

Sponsored

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D

Reactions: GDN

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Quick question I figured I’d ask here instead of starting a new thread.

Are we expecting these to work for our lightnings? I have a pro and would like a damper for opening and a lock to keep the tail gate safe. Thanks for any info!

Tailgate lock part VFL3Z-18168-B

Damper Kit part ML3Z-5D008-C

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Damper Kit part ML3Z-5D008-C

I ordered and received my first Lightning compatible OEM FordMoCo accessory.

It arrived today from FairWay Ford Wholesale Parts eBay seller account.

eBay link - '21 thru '22 Ford F-150 OEM Genuine Ford Parts Tailgate Damper Kit - ML3Z-5D008-C $72.95

It's only needed for the '22 Lightning PRO models and XLT with the 311A Equipment Group (Base) package.

If you have a Lightning XLT with the 312A higher package, Lariat, Platinum you do not need this tailgate dampening kit.

How To Install video:

It will be sometime in June before I will hopefully get to install this mod. When I receive my Lightning = May 30th build. I will then confirm that this '21 - '22 Ford OEM tailgate dampening part will fit the Lightning.

Reactions: GDN

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Looks like an easy install! I don’t want to order parts too early to make sure my return window is good lol.
Sponsored