• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tell me why this charger cabinet is a bad idea…

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
Any reason this setup won’t work? (I’m not a professional carpenter)

It’s not finished. I’ll paint the inside, attach the charger holster better, etc. I have some metal straps, I’ll try to fashion a bracket to make so it’s a bit more difficult to steal.

It’s on the shady side wall, on a cabin in the North Carolina mountains that I use for vacation/ rent via Airbnb and VRBO type rentals. I plan to leave it plugged in and tucked away in its cabinet. Renters with EVs can use it, and I’ll advertise it as such.

Are there problems with leaving the mobile charger plugged in always?

Scott

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me why this charger cabinet is a bad idea… 978A2F1B-CBC0-4591-B792-B86CB4057118

Ford F-150 Lightning Tell me why this charger cabinet is a bad idea… A8A6DA6D-5A1E-4667-879B-E11ECC5B12B3
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
No reason to unplug.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Depending on how hot it gets you might want some form of ventilation or a sign saying to keep the door fully open when in use.

RedLightning86

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning (Lariat). 2009 Escape Hybrid.
The only downside I can see, aside from adequate ventilation, is wasps nesting in there.

Leaving it on all the time is minimal electricity, and would allow it to get OTA software updates, assuming you have wifi there.

Snappy22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Honda CRV
Mobile chargers are that for a reason. Not rated for continuous duty and that’s what you’re doing leaving it plugged in. If you trust the renter to plug in and unplug at end of stay that might be ok (or have your cleaning company do it?).
+1 to hole on bottom and top to allow cooler air in the bottom when warm air rises out the top. And a screen to keep out pests looking for a nice box with heat to nest in.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
I don't understand this setup... A wood box like that can potentially trap moisture that you don't want. Why go through the trouble to build the box and create this setup for a 32A charging solution? would've made a lot more sense to hardwire an EVSE that could charge at 40+ Amps and be all weather rated.

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I like it. How hot does that mobile unit even get? My 32amp wall unit doesn’t seem to generate any heat. Maybe add a dryer vent on either side, one high, one low. Something like that prevent rain from getting in.

Last edited:

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I don't understand this setup... A wood box like that can potentially trap moisture that you don't want. Why go through the trouble to build the box and create this setup for a 32A charging solution? would've made a lot more sense to hardwire an EVSE that could charge at 40+ Amps and be all weather rated.
the house is a box made of wood too.

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
The service panel/outlet doesnt meet National Electrical Code for clear space and likely distance to combustible materials. Check out NEC 110.26.

OP
OP

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
My thinking… I bought a J+ booster for my mobile charger. The one that came with the truck… why not use it? I want to keep it out of sight from random people, and out of the weather. I can add some holes with screens to cover them.

32 amps is enough for cars, and I arrived with about 25% charge, I plugged in at about 7pm, it will reach 85% around 5:30am. I don’t see a reason to spend money for a hard wired 40 amp evse.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
the house is a box made of wood too.
🤪
The service panel/outlet doesnt meet National Electrical Code for clear space and likely distance to combustible materials. Check out NEC 110.26.
All this too. The more I look, the worse it gets...
32 amps is enough for cars, and I arrived with about 25% charge, I plugged in at about 7pm, it will reach 85% around 5:30am. I don’t see a reason to spend money for a hard wired 40 amp evse.
That's understandable. It's just the implementation here is problematic. You started a thread asking us to tell you what's wrong with your cabinet setup. We're telling you.

OP
OP

DucMan

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Lariat ER
That’s fine, I asked, I want to know. I read NEC 110.26, would I need 30 inches all around the outlet box? My cabinet doesn’t touch the outlet box, there’s a hole in the back and it i fitted to cabinet over it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Mobile chargers are that for a reason. Not rated for continuous duty and that’s what you’re doing leaving it plugged in. If you trust the renter to plug in and unplug at end of stay that might be ok (or have your cleaning company do it?).
+1 to hole on bottom and top to allow cooler air in the bottom when warm air rises out the top. And a screen to keep out pests looking for a nice box with heat to nest in.
Continuous duty means CHARGING. Not plugged in waiting to charge.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The only bad thing about it is that it‘s totally unnecessary.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
How is leaving an EVSE plugged into a vehicle that has accepted its requested charge a problem? Leaving it plugged in after it stops charging does not mean it will be under a continuous load, so I'm unsure why you feel that you need to trust the renter to unplug at the end of the charge. Care to educate me on this?
Sponsored