• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Temperature gauges dummy or real

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Does anyone know if the temperature gauges for the battery and motor are really or just fancy "dummy" lights? As it is getting colder out, I would have expected them to read lower (if still in the normal range), but they just stay fixed dead center.

If they are dummy lights, I am disappointed. I was hoping to be able to keep an eye on temps.
Sponsored

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
I saw one pic with a dude towing that had them the highest I’ve seen. But who really knows.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
They are pretty "dummy" to me. Without a number and range to associate with it, it is useless.

I really wish Ford would stop treating us like mushrooms.
Numbers would be great, but I guess my question was more on if they even moved at all, or were just programmed to stay fixed dead center until you are completely overheated.

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Does anyone know if the temperature gauges for the battery and motor are really or just fancy "dummy" lights? As it is getting colder out, I would have expected them to read lower (if still in the normal range), but they just stay fixed dead center.

If they are dummy lights, I am disappointed. I was hoping to be able to keep an eye on temps.
They should be functional - I’ve seen examples of people towing and having slightly higher temps. If it’s staying dead center that means the car is regulating the temperature properly. As it gets colder the car won’t have to pump as much cold coolant through the battery to keep it at optimum temperature. If it’s cold enough it’ll circulate warm coolant to keep it at that optimal temperature since you can extract more energy.

Sponsored

Griddlez

First Name
Griddlez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER - 21 Mach-E Prem AWD/ER
I was towing without tow-haul mode on going against a strong headwind. Temps certainly went up after sometime but never got too insanely high, or outside of the little ____|_____|____ box that I am assuming it wants you to operated within.

Kinda did that as a test. Every other time I've put it in tow-haul mode and never seem the temps really move much. Maybe ever so slightly.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
My battery temp gauge moves a bit up from normal after fast charging.

But I agree, my LEAF's battery temp gauge had much more movement with the ambient weather. It could have been because the LEAF's pack is not actively temp controlled, where the Lightning's is. Curious to find out.

MBM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Now that it’s starting to get colder I’ve seen mine read just below the center tick mark during the initial start but within 2 seconds it jumps back to dead center.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I don't see any value so I use the calm screen now...

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I had mine near the top of the normal range once after a DCFC session. I had stopped after a sustained stretch at 80mph, 90+ ambient temps. It peaked after being back on the road at 80mph for 10-20 minutes after the DCFC session. It stayed above normal pretty much the entire drive after that point (several hours) but it was only one or two increments above center most of the time.

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Now that it’s starting to get colder I’ve seen mine read just below the center tick mark during the initial start but within 2 seconds it jumps back to dead center.
I’ve noticed this, too. It goes back to the center almost immediately. I wonder if it will need more time once the temps get really cold?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
They do move, but I don't trust them. After fast charging my battery temp went above half, but after 120 miles of driving it never cooled back down. Moderate temps of 90 degrees. I would have expected it to cool back to that half way mark.

Also watch them when you start and leave from it sitting even overnight. They jump to half way right away. In no way do I believe it is truly measuring the real temp and displaying it real time.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I had mine near the top of the normal range once after a DCFC session. I had stopped after a sustained stretch at 80mph, 90+ ambient temps. It peaked after being back on the road at 80mph for 10-20 minutes after the DCFC session. It stayed above normal pretty much the entire drive after that point (several hours) but it was only one or two increments above center most of the time.

This . The same exact scenario happened to me a number of times this summer before Ihad my FCSP installed , so I can confirm that the gushes work ..

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
I wouldn't expect the gauges to read much outside of normal even during the first start after an overnight rest due to the Battery Management System and the coolant loops.

V8BoatBuilder

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I can get actual values using an OBD II Bluetooth dongle and the Car Scanner app. Right now, my battery temp gauge on the dash says half. These temperature values are quite close to ambient.

Ford F-150 Lightning Temperature gauges dummy or real 11C682C0-23A8-4515-BE0D-7AEA8D574479
Sponsored

• Wow
Reactions: GDN