• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Would you replace your CCS port with the Tesla port?

• Total voters

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This could be an interesting one. We know the design wouldn't interface with the HIS. I figure most manufactures would want to ignore it because it is Tesla, but the pressure from the consumer could be interesting to be able to gain access to the best charging network.

If I could buy and retrofit this myself aftermarket it would already be done.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/opening-north-american-charging-standard
Sponsored

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I hope this is not Elon's way of "opening up the supercharging network to all cars this fall", as was promised....

On one hand it is not what was promised or implied in the promise, but on the other hand it is a genius business move for Tesla.

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
I thought they did something like this a while ago....

boggle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 PRO
Proclaiming they are the NACS is pure hubris. This is like Apple telling the EU to replace USB-C with Lightning because so many people already have iPhones. They had ample time to conform to the CCS standard, only now that they're incentivized to open up their superchargers in NA do they care to make it "open-source". Nah, I'm good.

Sponsored
OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I thought they did something like this a while ago....
Elon has always said his patents were open and tried to get this through, but no one ever bought in.

I hope this is not Elon's way of "opening up the supercharging network to all cars this fall", as was promised....

On one hand it is not what was promised or implied in the promise, but on the other hand it is a genius business move for Tesla.
If this is the way they intend on doing it there could be big consumer pressure on auto manufactures to do so.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
If this is the way they intend on doing it there could be big consumer pressure on auto manufactures to do so.
Pretty doubtful. I'd be more interested in if this results in an adapter being made. If both sides of the equation are now open 'standards' (quotes are for Tesla's case) then surely the translation of the two protocols could be accomplished.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I've seen talk of the TEsla connector being limited on how much more power it is going to be able to support. CCS has a higher ceiling. So for that reason I would stay with CCS.

I don't hold any grudge against Tesla over their connector. It was created when there was no standard. THey did what they had to do at the time. And it is pretty slick. But no, with the CCS design having more futureproofing designed in, i'd rather see an adapter (that Tesla doesn't purposely block from Supercharging).

georgepearkes

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Proclaiming they are the NACS is pure hubris. This is like Apple telling the EU to replace USB-C with Lightning because so many people already have iPhones. They had ample time to conform to the CCS standard, only now that they're incentivized to open up their superchargers in NA do they care to make it "open-source". Nah, I'm good.
exactly right. the IRA forced them to do this, and will force full opening of their charging network.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I've seen talk of the TEsla connector being limited on how much more power it is going to be able to support. CCS has a higher ceiling. So for that reason I would stay with CCS.

I don't hold any grudge against Tesla over their connector. It was created when there was no standard. THey did what they had to do at the time. And it is pretty slick. But no, with the CCS design having more futureproofing designed in, i'd rather see an adapter (that Tesla doesn't purposely block from Supercharging).
The Tesla adapter can easily handle up to 250kW and you have nothing to worry about as Ford has limited your truck to 150.

Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The Tesla adapter can easily handle up to 250kW and you have nothing to worry about as Ford has limited your truck to 150.
My response was not specific to the F150, more in general. Yes, for the F150 it wouldn't matter, except for the HIS functionality (which I DO hope to benefit from).

petemill

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 ER Lariat +PRB +Unleashed, '11 ford escape v6
Occupation
Software
I still have trouble using the CCS plug. It's pretty unwieldly or I'm just weak. The tesla adapter is so much nicer.

The announcement states the tesla adapter can handle up to 1 MW. Do you have a source for the CCS adapter having a higher ceiling?

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
The announcement states the tesla adapter can handle up to 1 MW. Do you have a source for the CCS adapter having a higher ceiling?
I don't recall where I heard it, but it was a year or more ago. I recall it was an interview with someone from Tesla discussing the pros/cons of the Tesla adapter. But no, I can't cite a source. It was just a little factoid I filed away in my brain.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I looked at the name as if it was kind of a joke/troll.

But to be fair, there are tons more EVs fast charging using Tesla Supercharger than CCS and it's not even remotely close. So, by that measure, it's not crazy to say it's the standard.
Sponsored