• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Destination Charger Use

brewski

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L Platinum
Occupation
Yes
We currently have a Tesla and a destination charger. Once the Lightning arrives, we will still have the Tesla and the charger.
The charger is on the left side of the garage and oriented toward the back of the Tesla and has the "standard" length cable of about 5 feet.

In at least the short term, I plan to charge using the Tesla Destination charger.
The first challenge is...the charger is in a bad place for the Lightning.
The only way to currently use it would be to partially pull the Lightning in the garage and charge (using an adapter of course).

Now I'm thinking of getting the Lectron 20ft charger Tesla extension cable (https://a.co/d/fXYANbn) and Lectron adapter (https://a.co/d/75ghh8J).
This way I can park the Lightning on the opposite side of the garage (its normal spot).

So that'll be about $450 for cable/adapter only.

Yes, my order includes the FCSP. I like the idea of the full functionality of this charger, though I'm not convinced the price of install is worth it, already having a destination charger.
Besides, it seems a bit ridiculous to have 2 different chargers in one garage.

Does anyone have a better idea/method of doing this? Without of course...moving the charger.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Your proposed method is not safe for long term use - specifically the extension. You'd need to ensure it can handle the sustained current, and also make sure that the adapter can - because the truck will pull the max the station can give.

You can buy a new charging station and install it in the right location. It may qualify for a utility company rebate. It will also qualify for a 30% tax credit including install.

I can't imagine the Tesla hose being only 5 feet long.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
How much current does the Tesla charger provide ?

If it's less than 48A, then consider getting the FCSP installed which can do 80A and leverages both onboard chargers for a total 19kW charge rate.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Your proposed method is not safe for long term use - specifically the extension. You'd need to ensure it can handle the sustained current, and also make sure that the adapter can - because the truck will pull the max the station can give.

You can buy a new charging station and install it in the right location. It may qualify for a utility company rebate. It will also qualify for a 30% tax credit including install.

I can't imagine the Tesla hose being only 5 feet long.
This!

Take it from someone who has used the Tesla Gen 2 Wall charger with Lectron adapter. It overheats, the handle is hot to the touch and will limit the power delivered.

I have more faith in your FCSP + Adapter to Tesla.