• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Supercharger Membership Launched @ $12.99 / month. First video of Lightning charging at Supercharger CCS Magic Dock

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Looks like they added another Magic Dock location on Long Island (Shirley, NY).
Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
When you drove an ICE vehicle, how many of you went to Costco, ARCO, or whatever gas station was the local low cost provider and saw a super long line? Did you get in line or drive down the street to the Chevron/Shell and pay $0.30 more per gallon to save yourself a 20 minute wait? These Tesla chargers being more expensive than EA is no different. So I don't understand the shock at their higher prices. Depending on the day and local situation, you might be faced with the same decision you had with an ICE vehicle and long lines at a gas pump. Do you save time or money? Express your preference with your wallet and capitalism will run its course.

pjorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I charged at this spot in Brewster, NY last night. The pedestal at the end that is centered on the parking pad was perfect for the Lightning, though if it's a completely full station some multi-point turning would be required on exit.

Great location, like many Tesla Supercharger sites. This one is right off the highway at a the junction between I-84 and I-684 on the way down toward NYC, and there's not much in the way of DCFC in the area (mostly what's there seems to top out around 50 kW) so my bet is that this site gets popular relatively quickly.

EA has not been consistently getting above 80 kW for me lately, so getting 125 kW for the full 20 minutes I was there (at 11:00 PM, on hour 7 of a trip) was refreshing. A bargain 49¢/kWh is not, but if it means I can count on the station having equipment that is not broken, slow or overrun with IONIQ 5s getting free energy, I'll happily pay it when I need it.

(My wife has an IONIQ 5 with a free charge plan, so I am aware of the hypocrisy, but we avoid using the local EA charger except at hours that I know it's generally not busy.)

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
When you drove an ICE vehicle, how many of you went to Costco, ARCO, or whatever gas station was the local low cost provider and saw a super long line? Did you get in line or drive down the street to the Chevron/Shell and pay $0.30 more per gallon to save yourself a 20 minute wait? These Tesla chargers being more expensive than EA is no different. So I don't understand the shock at their higher prices. Depending on the day and local situation, you might be faced with the same decision you had with an ICE vehicle and long lines at a gas pump. Do you save time or money? Express your preference with your wallet and capitalism will run its course.
It's not just the higher price on top of the monthly fee, have you see how low of charging speed? Less than a 50 kwh public charger.

Sponsored

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
It's not just the higher price on top of the monthly fee, have you see how low of charging speed? Less than a 50 kwh public charger.
Sounds like it's nothing more than a possible stopgap to get you to the next EA charger if you don't have a high enough state of charge to get there.

Tweet at Elon and say you expect more power at a lower price.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
This is easy. I'd wait in line at Costco because of the savings and I spend my money buying from a preferred provider which Costco is. Most everything I buy there is quality, typically the best price you'll find, they have good helpful employees, they treat their employees well and places like that are where I give business.

I can't say that Tesla has the ample employees and they are the easiest to get ahold of, but their chargers have always delivered exactly what they were supposed to without fail, without having to change chargers, they just work every time. With my truck and CCS - In my 8 or so charging experiences at EA and Francis Energy I can tell you that changing charging pedestals to find one that works, waiting for a stall to be rebooted remotely by someone that is reading from a script and then still only charging at 120Kw - I'll drive by 10 of them to get to the Tesla station and still wait in line and pay more just for a better experience - every day of every year I own an EV driver. Every day.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Updated with F-150 Lightning charging successfully at Tesla Supercharger w/ CCS plug.

Was browsing through my App to see if any new CCS SC stations had opened up. I went all the way up to Scott Valley where the only known California Tesla CCS is available. This is what popped up:

C4207DE0-63F1-42A1-9087-6A2DA20324CE.png

DD8C4CAD-1C47-4D45-B03E-E9A4CA98BAF0.png
I'm sure glad I bought my lightning platinum for local use only, I pay just over $.07/kwh from October thru May& $.12/kwh June thru September.

Driving locally I get close to 2.4 miles per kwh a little less in the winter, around $.03/mile in winter & $.05/mile in summer. Averaging around $.04/mile year round. Costing about $4 to drive 100 miles.

I'm not about to pay $.43+/kwh. I can't understand anyone purchasing a lightning to travel or tow long distances. I would own an ICE vehicle if I was going to do that.
Interstate traveling most lightnings are lucky to get 2 mpk, that's right around $.22/mile or $22 to drive 100 miles and if you're towing a travel trailer it'll cost closer to $44 to drive 100 miles. That's not as good as most ICE trucks would get.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
There's no doubt in my mind, if I had to depend on public chargers and pay their high prices, I wouldn't have purchased my lightning.

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Whew! $.52/kWh! And I thought the EA price increase was steep. Gas is much cheaper when you’re getting about 2mi /kWh on the interstate.
Yes, I believe tesla expects J1772 owners to pay for this conversion

Traconesu

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford lightning platinum
Occupation
Retired
Yikes. I guess it’s not surprising that they charge more per kWh for non teslas, but I don’t think many people will be using Lightnings on road trips if it’s almost twice the cost of driving a gas truck at $3/gallon
Yes, I believe tesla expects J1772 owners to pay for this conversion
Sponsored