• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Wall Connector for Lightning / Mach-E

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Tesla just reduced the price or their wall connector by $50, back to $499. I am thinking to change my Lightning, I'll pick up another one of these for the opposite side of my garage. Installing my first wall connector was very easy and it has worked very well, it seems like a good solution for the price. Also, I can then plug in either vehicle on both sides of the garage. Two questions I have though:

1) Has anyone used a Telsa wall connector to charge a Mach-E? I'd love to hear at least one positive story of a Ford vehicle successfully charging on a wall connector.

2) For anyone who has successfully charged a Mach-E with a wall connector, what adaptor are you using? There are a few out there, I would rather pick up one that is known to work well.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Tesla just reduced the price or their wall connector by $50, back to $499. I am thinking to change my Lightning, I'll pick up another one of these for the opposite side of my garage. Installing my first wall connector was very easy and it has worked very well, it seems like a good solution for the price. Also, I can then plug in either vehicle on both sides of the garage. Two questions I have though:

1) Has anyone used a Telsa wall connector to charge a Mach-E? I'd love to hear at least one positive story of a Ford vehicle successfully charging on a wall connector.

2) For anyone who has successfully charged a Mach-E with a wall connector, what adaptor are you using? There are a few out there, I would rather pick up one that is known to work well.
Not a direct response, but for the next few days there is a Tesla Tap discount. There may even be useful info in this thread:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ires-3-22-22-order-now-new-orders-only.15512/

OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Not a direct response, but for the next few days there is a Tesla Tap discount. There may even be useful info in this thread:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...ires-3-22-22-order-now-new-orders-only.15512/
Thanks for sharing! I will hold off a day or two to see what kind of feedback I get here. If no one dissuades me, I'll make the purchase.

I might have to make an account on that other forum to ask a question. In the thread shared, everyone talks about occasional use of destination chargers with the tesla tap. I wonder if anyone uses a tesla tap daily using a wall connector on a Mach-E. If so and things have worked well, I'm sold.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There are plenty of products out there. Can't say if the Tesla is better for the price or not.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I’ll be using my Tesla Wall plug too, I just need an adapter. I haven’t heard too many positive stories but we’ll see

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
If you are going to buy new - Tesla has sold the WC with the J1772 plug. I don't see it on their page right now, but research it a little and just buy it with the J1772 if you can find it.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Most feedback I've seen on the TeslaTap has been positive. I plan to use one with my Tesla UMC when I travel as the Tesla UMC has many more options for different plug types than the Ford mobile connector.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
If you are going to buy new - Tesla has sold the WC with the J1772 plug. I don't see it on their page right now, but research it a little and just buy it with the J1772 if you can find it.
Like many Tesla products, it disappeared a few weeks after it was introduced.
https://insideevs.com/news/556906/tesla-j1772-wall-connector-review/
This was not a "smart" charger and at 40A was not a plug-in. You'd be better off buying Grizzl-E.

Some of Tesla products and features are simply puzzling, as in "Why the hell did they think there is a market for this?"

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I could see them being useful for those that want to daisy chain EVSEs for non-Tesla EVs onto their existing gen2 Tesla HPWC. If I ever have more than one EV to charge at my house, I'd consider a system like this to avoid running discrete circuits for each EVSE. That said, it's a pretty small use case.

OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I could see them being useful for those that want to daisy chain EVSEs for non-Tesla EVs onto their existing gen2 Tesla HPWC. If I ever have more than one EV to charge at my house, I'd consider a system like this to avoid running discrete circuits for each EVSE. That said, it's a pretty small use case.
That's part of my decision, if I daisy chain two wall connectors. I don't have another open circuit on my circuit box, so it will be very expensive to put a brand new line out to my garage. The issue is the Lightning charges fairly slow, so I might need to bite the bullet and pay the larger expense, versus the half charge speed of daisy chained wall connectors.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The HPWCs will vary their available current delivery depending on demand, so if only one vehicle is charging you will get full power. Otherwise it will split if both vehicles want to charge simultaneously. I'm not sure if the Fords will attempt to renegotiate max power after initiating a charging session though.

How beefy is your current circuit? Even if you have to charge from 20% to 90% @ 40A/240V (and accounting for 90% charging efficiency) you can still complete the charge in 10.61 hours. I think the likelihood of needing that AND needing to charge your MME from a similar point would be slim.

OP
OP

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The HPWCs will vary their available current delivery depending on demand, so if only one vehicle is charging you will get full power. Otherwise it will split if both vehicles want to charge simultaneously. I'm not sure if the Fords will attempt to renegotiate max power after initiating a charging session though.

How beefy is your current circuit? Even if you have to charge from 20% to 90% @ 40A/240V (and accounting for 90% charging efficiency) you can still complete the charge in 10.61 hours. I think the likelihood of needing that AND needing to charge your MME from a similar point would be slim.
I believe I am on a 60 AMP circuit, which allows for full 48 AMP charging. I am not knowledgeable at all with this stuff to be honest, but my Tesla charges at 40 miles per hour currently.

Looked into this a bit more and I see the gen 3 HPWCs when daisy chained deliver power intelligently, so if one car is full charge and another is low charge, it distributes power accordingly. My gf works overnight, so our charging times are already somewhat different, so I am pretty sure daisy chain will work and I'll never be short on charge in either vehicle.

...it better work anyway, since I just paid $800 for another HPWC and a Tesla Tap. Hopefully the electrician doesn't charge me much to hook it all up!

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired

Only the newest HPWCs do this. Mine do not.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
Reactions: GDN