• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Test Drove a Rivian....my two cents

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Saw an R1T launch edition on a lot near my office this morning, went over lunch to look at it from the outside. Sales person approached, offered to let me drive. R1T Launch Edition, quad motor LR battery. They wanted almost $140K for it, with about 110 miles on the odometer.

Definitely an incredible vehicle. Smooth, quiet, no body roll. Very rapid acceleration. Regen was really strong, even on "standard." Fit and finish were nice, though the driver's door seemed to have a latch issue. Good sound system, nice materials, clean minimalist look.

I found all the screens and lack of buttons confusing and non-intuitive. Even unlocking the doors from the inside was hard to figure out.

I obviously don't have my lightning yet, but compared to my normal experience with a full size F150, the Rivian was surprisingly small. I am not sure I could fit three car seats in the back. The bed was also very small, almost too small to really be practical. I don't know what the wheel well width was, but I routinely carry 12ft lumber in my short box F150 and would not feel comfortable doing that in the Rivian.

If you're reference point is a Tesla, and you want to go to a truck, the Rivian is the natural fit. If your reference point is a full sized truck, and you want to go EV, I think you'll find the Rivian a little undersized compared to what you're used to driving.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I wish there were more trucks on the way that were Rivian sized. The bed is even shorter than my Ridgeline's, but it is the same length with the tailgate down @ 83 inches. I think I'd find myself using a bed extender with the Rivian more often. My Ridgeline's bed has been plenty for me in almost all cases, but I think I've only moved 12 ft lumber 2 or 3 times. 8 foot sticks are no issue.

Parking is so easy with a smaller truck, especially in a large metro area with small parking spots, and range would obviously be better with a smaller frontal area. The Lightning's size is its biggest drawback for me since my activities don't warrant a full size truck. We'll see if I adjust. I thought my Ridgeline was porky compared to my 98 extended cab Tacoma, but I adjusted to it.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
The Lightning is super easy to park, by day 2 your parking like a pro

F150LER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
I have my first rivian guide drive next week, I will be curious. My f150 is a work truck, the lightining is trying to make the best of both worlds.

Vorador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Ford Escape
Doing my Rivian test drive this weekend. I used to have a 2019 F150 Lariat Supercrew, so the internal and external dimensions are pretty much the same as what the Lightning will have. Looking forward to being able to compare them before I commit to one.

Sponsored

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I obviously don't have my lightning yet, but compared to my normal experience with a full size F150, the Rivian was surprisingly small. I am not sure I could fit three car seats in the back.
No way you can put 3 car seats.

OP
OP

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Yeah that’s my assumption but since I couldn’t test it I didn’t want to make a definitive statement.

I can get 3 in my 2016 XLT comfortably

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yea but let’s be realistic. By the time you Take delivery of the R1T, all three kids will be grown and out of the car seats anyway.

<——R1T Preorder Holder

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Yea but let’s be realistic. By the time you Take delivery of the R1T, all three kids will be grown and out of the car seats anyway.

<——R1T Preorder Holder
Well, I did not mean which one to buy, just a statement of fact that Rivian is not wide enough for that purpose. It is simply not a full size truck.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Well, I did not mean which one to buy, just a statement of fact that Rivian is not wide enough for that purpose. It is simply not a full size truck.
It was a joke...

The R1T is much closer in size to a Honda Ridgeline than it is to a F-150. It's a bit of a tweener. For some that will be a plus, to others it will be a negative.

Sponsored

joelb1

First Name
joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Sierra SLT

<——R1T Preorder Holder

Well, I thought it was funny!