• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
TFL is back from Alaska and posted their 10k mile review. Not much new, but they already had some concerning seat wear. Is anyone else seeing that?

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I see what they're talking about on the seats but it's also clear (to me) that the entire truck was driven *hard* for those 10K miles. It was road-tripped, lived-in beat to hell instead of 10K commute miles, which is totally fine but probably not representative of what most of us will experience.

Those seats shouldn't be wearing like that but an upholstery pro can tighten that back up in a cinch. Strange that it's happening. Could be poor quality construction and/or materials--hard to tell.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I see what they're talking about on the seats but it's also clear (to me) that the entire truck was driven *hard* for those 10K miles. It was road-tripped, lived-in beat to hell instead of 10K commute miles, which is totally fine but probably not representative of what most of us will experience.

Those seats shouldn't be wearing like that but an upholstery pro can tighten that back up in a cinch. Strange that it's happening. Could be poor quality construction and/or materials--hard to tell.
Yeah, those were hard miles, but is also only 1 month (or so) of use. Doesn't bode well for long term durability. But then again, it could be a 1 off.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, those were hard miles, but is also only 1 month (or so) of use.
Yeah, I'm not saying the seats weren't beat just that as they were panning through the truck (especially the bed, which for some reason looks more weathered than my open bed I was thinking to myself damn...they beat the hell outta that one.

Those seats might be chalked up to a one-off but that material sure looked thin as paper. No one has ever accused my seats of being too comfortable but they don't look too different from how they were 25 years ago other than a bit of stretching/shrinking around the stitching.

I've bought enough cars since that '05 to know they sure don't make em like they used to, but wow. I'm not sure how well those can be fixed now. If anyone else starts to encounter some loosening you should take it to Ford (does Ford cover it's upholstery in their bumper to bumper?) or an indie shop immediately. If you wait until it looks like that it's probably going to have some permanent damage even if they're able to put it back together.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yeah, I'm not saying the seats weren't beat just that as they were panning through the truck (especially the bed, which for some reason looks more weathered than my open bed I was thinking to myself damn...they beat the hell outta that one.

Those seats might be chalked up to a one-off but that material sure looked thin as paper. No one has ever accused my seats of being too comfortable but they don't look too different from how they were 25 years ago other than a bit of stretching/shrinking around the stitching.

I've bought enough cars since that '05 to know they sure don't make em like they used to, but wow. I'm not sure how well those can be fixed now. If anyone else starts to encounter some loosening you should take it to Ford (does Ford cover it's upholstery in their bumper to bumper?) or an indie shop immediately. If you wait until it looks like that it's probably going to have some permanent damage even if they're able to put it back together.
I think the only acceptable fix at this point would be a full recover of the seat bottom (back looked ok). That is what I would be asking for if mine looked like that after 10k. Or give me some cash consideration to get katskin.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the only acceptable fix at this point would be a full recover of the seat bottom (back looked ok).
The driver's seat is damaged. The passenger's seat, however, is still repairable with a relatively easy/quick adjustment. That's what I was referring to--if your panel starts to loosen like the passenger side take it in before it degrades to the state the driver's side is in.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm not worried. Just turned over 20k miles today. 2 hour commute about 5 to 6 days a week. I'm about 2 bills.

20220808_214022.jpg
Glad to see some confirmation that it isn't an issue for everyone.

And wow! You have been piling on the miles!

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Glad to see some confirmation that it isn't an issue for everyone.

And wow! You have been piling on the miles!
I'd probably have another 5k to 6k on it if I hadn't been putting miles on my wife's lease. At my peak I was driving about 33k miles a year.

This is why I'm so excited about going electric. I'm tired of gas stations.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
I think the only acceptable fix at this point would be a full recover of the seat bottom (back looked ok). That is what I would be asking for if mine looked like that after 10k. Or give me some cash consideration to get katskin.
grrrrr……

I noticed “looseness” on the driver seat material the day I took delivery of my truck.

I took a picture to timestamp it, before I even sat in it the first time, hoping it was nothing, but concerned it might lead to something, and this video has got me very concerned now:

Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review 96932027-ADA2-4D0C-8BA3-3F9FDF3E0A83
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review 1E0CC102-7252-401C-A4C7-CE70C359483D

Sponsored

Sam James

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Lightning Lariat ER, 21 VW ID.4 Pro S RWD
Occupation
Accountant
grrrrr……

I noticed “looseness” on the driver seat material the day I took delivery of my truck.

I took a picture to timestamp it, before I even sat in it the first time, hoping it was nothing, but concerned it might lead to something, and this video has got me very concerned now:

96932027-ADA2-4D0C-8BA3-3F9FDF3E0A83.jpeg
1E0CC102-7252-401C-A4C7-CE70C359483D.jpeg
That’s crazy! We’ve had our ID.4 9 months and about 13k miles. I weigh 250. Zero damage. Of the Fords we’ve owned only my Escape was showing wear—on cloth—at 12 years. Disappointing if this is a widespread issue in a few months…

DrZoidberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Eternal Vestibule
My ICE 21 F150 lariat sport seats looked bad at the 4k miles i sold it at. Leather very wrinkly, made crunch noises and squeaks. Pretty poor quality honestly. These looks likethe same seats, difference color. Hopefully it wears better.

bryan995

First Name
François
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Glad i got the cloth seats in the XLT? :/ That wear is horrendous ...

Lots of UI/UX work to be done to reach to level of Tesla.

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Mine were the same way on delivery - enough that I made a note of it because it seemed odd. Here are pictures of driver and passenger seat at 3,700 miles. Note, passenger seat has a lot of miles too since we just got back from a 1,500 mile road trip and almost always have passengers for their first batch of miles.
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review D6FDE179-837A-4C2A-8007-7B766F974DFE

Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review 9BDB299E-8C6A-4F8F-B07C-0514C1D85CEF