• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
Sitting in a Lariat Lightning mannequin a couple of weeks ago, I was concerned about the cheap feel of the seat. Initially I thought it was just the lack of a 4 way adjustable lumbar (it’s only 2way) but TFL confirmed it, the leather felt cheap. Planning to replace a Ram 1500 doesn’t help, their seats, leather, interior is top notch IMO.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Sitting in a Lariat Lightning mannequin a couple of weeks ago, I was concerned about the cheap feel of the seat. Initially I thought it was just the lack of a 4 way adjustable lumbar (it’s only 2way) but TFL confirmed it, the leather felt cheap. Planning to replace a Ram 1500 doesn’t help, their seats, leather, interior is top notch IMO.
Yeah, I wasn't overly thrilled when comparing it to my 2017 Raptor (which is really a Lariat interior with branding). Not sure why Ford went so thin on the material.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
When I first sat in my Lariat, I thought the seats were vinyl because it didn't have the stiff leather feel that most cars I have had.

It's hard to believe it's leather because of the give.

If I had a choice, I would rather have the the XLT cloth seats - my first choice trim too...

Or maybe my rear end had gotten used to the stiff BMW leather of 20+ years ?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
It's hard to believe it's leather because of the give.

If I had a choice, I would rather have the the XLT cloth seats - my first choice trim too...

Or maybe my rear end had gotten used to the stiff BMW leather of 20+ years ?
I doubt it is leather. All these car manufacturers are advertising "vegan leather" indicating a market shift toward calling seat covering other than vinyl/cloth "leather" regardless of its source.

It's not a new thing--those BMW seats are so stiff mainly because of the urethane coating they use for UV protection. I used to restore E30s and when we redid seats we'd have to sand that coating off first. The issue was they do (or did, rather) use top grain leather and it would shrink over the decades but couldn't be rejuvenated due to the coating. So we'd either have to try and soak the oils through the lacing, do weird things like cover them with garbage bags in the sun, or sanding. But if you took the time to do it right...

In any case, those pictures of loosening leather panels is unacceptable. They will get worse and eventually tear/crease and become unrepairable. Personally I would already consider them unrepairable. I did not have high hopes these seats would be any great quality (and also preferred the cloth for that reason--but now I have my doubts the cloth would wear much better) and intended to reupholster them professionally with the best leather available.

I strongly suggest those of who experiencing seat panel puffing, pinching, twisting, etc. file warranty claims ASAP. What you don't want to do is wait 10K+ miles and have them deem it "wear and tear."

Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review DSC_0021Small

Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review DSC_0027Small

Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review DSC_0030Small

troon002

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Explorer Sport
Making me a little nervous...hadn't thought to take a look until this thread...sure enough, it is creasing up on me, only 1k miles
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review seat

Sponsored
OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Anyone try taking this to their dealer yet?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Anyone try taking this to their dealer yet?
You know, I"m still unfamiliar with this forum software and how it embeds ads right in the middle of someone's post. So this is what I saw:
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.24.05 AM

Don't know if that gives you a chuckle but it caught me off guard and I laughed when I realized what I was looking at. I'm assuming you meant the seats...lol

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You know, I"m still unfamiliar with this forum software and how it embeds ads right in the middle of someone's post. So this is what I saw:
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 11.24.05 AM.png

Don't know if that gives you a chuckle but it caught me off guard and I laughed when I realized what I was looking at. I'm assuming you meant the seats...lol
Yes, I meant the seats - the ads throw me sometimes too (esp. car photos)

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
These seem to be similar material to the 2015 mustangs+, I dont think there were any issues from the mustang forums outside initial QC where the material wasn't stretched enough from the factory.

OP
OP
sotek2345

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
These seem to be similar material to the 2015 mustangs+, I dont think there were any issues from the mustang forums outside initial QC where the material wasn't stretched enough from the factory.
Yeah, it did remind me of the material / pattern from the GT350 - though not at nice or thick.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
Less than 2000 miles and here is mine. I noticed this in the first week. There is also a bit of fraying/wear around some of the holes in the middle of the seat that doesn’t show well on the photo.
Ford F-150 Lightning TFL 10k (almost) mile Lightning review 4DE857E2-7CBA-44EB-B0ED-BF760FE9F866
Sponsored