• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Thanksgiving Travels - Who's taking the Lightning?

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
It will be a few days after Thanksgiving, but I've got to pick up my Lightning SR in Iowa and drive it home to Florida.

Just for fun, I think I'll try to set a "record" for most miles covered in a day in a Lightning SR, and see if other people can break it. It won't be hard to beat since I'll be doing it in the cold and with just one driver, probably, but fun to start a friendly competition.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Honestly, I tend to agree. It's just the unknown of the Rumford, ME area. I'm trying to use ABRP at 666watts per mile. That's about 1.5 miles/kwhr which is think is fair with cold temps, highway speeds and heat on. It's suggesting like you said. Hit the Scarborough WA on the way up to fast charge to 80%. 120VAC charge while staying at the house for 24hrs. Then Kennebunk on the way back.

I think it's the kid and wife factor that gives me anxiety more than anything else. No way can I justify driving home at night, kids sleeping in the back, and pull over for 30 minutes in Scarborough.
I do understand, we have friends in Orono and it is a charging desert up there. One other thing to consider is to stay off the interstate and stick to 55mph roads. Much better efficiency!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E350 Wagon
It will be a few days after Thanksgiving, but I've got to pick up my Lightning SR in Iowa and drive it home to Florida.

Just for fun, I think I'll try to set a "record" for most miles covered in a day in a Lightning SR, and see if other people can break it. It won't be hard to beat since I'll be doing it in the cold and with just one driver, probably, but fun to start a friendly competition.
I’ll be the same .
Iowa to Nevada likely in January. 12/5 build date
Lariat ER though.

Sponsored

3rdgenfan

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 XLT SR, G8 GXP, TDI Rabbit
The “350kW” ChargePoint chargers at the Northbound Kennebunk service plaza were busted so I had to make it up a bit as we went along.
I come up to Dover-Foxcroft every year and have been slowly paying attention to the charging environment since it seems pretty barren; was hoping not to read that those Kennebunk service plaza chargers were non-op but I think it may be safer just taking the other car up until they at least get the DCFC set up at the Irving in Newport, and then if we can get a 240v line ran at the house I can get away with L2 for the week.

4Reeley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat
I think it's the kid and wife factor that gives me anxiety more than anything else. No way can I justify driving home at night, kids sleeping in the back, and pull over for 30 minutes in Scarborough.
I agree with @sotek2345, don't overthink the round trip between Scarborough and your destination. Maybe charge to 85% for some more breathing room. Your biggest risk will be that others have said only 2 of the EA chargers were working there, combined with a holiday, so you might have some wait time. Others won't want to wait long either, if they see a big queue of vehicles lined up, so that might work in your favor. Also, you won't really have to charge that long if you start your trip at 100% and plan to get home at <15%. But a contingency plan would probably come in handy - if it looks like a wait, drop your family off at a nearby restaurant for a small "treat" and prep them for the "adventure" before you get started, so they won't be surprised if it takes a little more time. Are you planning any intermediate trips once you reach your destination or will the truck just sit until you return home?

I just did my first road trip with 3 young kids which included 450 miles round trip with an additional (unanticipated) 150 miles at our destination over 3 days. We ended up needing to charge a little more than planned to get back home on the return trip, but we worked in a meal stop and had good luck with the EA stations on our route. Kids saw it as an adventure and liked trying to identify the other EV's we saw at each station. It wasn't perfect but it got us all past that initial road trip hesitancy and now future trips seem much less intimidating!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
We're heading to southern NH for the day, it will be about a 170 miles round trip, I don't anticipate any problems to and from Nashua.

My brother in law has added a 14-50 outlet to his garage for our convenience, he is seriously concerned we will run low on juice and not be able to make a round trip with out topping off at his place.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
280 miles to far North Alabama, north of Huntsville... to pick up son #3, from college...
then
218 miles across TN to far North Georgia, Young Harris... to overnight with son #4, near his college...
then
both back to our 'home' in west Central Georgia...another 270 miles

768 miles

then back, after 'T'day...

and probably again at Christmas... : ) Fun.

both sons have a 240v 30amp connection: both live in Campers, with farmland or mountain views...
they don't realize yet how good they have it : )

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
both sons have a 240v 30amp connection: both live in Campers, with farmland or mountain views...
they don't realize yet how good they have it : )
You're saying they both are going to college in different places and they each live in a camper near their college?

Sponsored

Strangatang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning
Headed to poconos from south jersey. 252 miles round trip with wife and 3 kids (18 months to 9 years). There’s a few chargers up that way but I’m most worried about increased usage at them. Will be bringing the travel charger and extension cord as a bit of a fail safe.
seriously can’t wait to use the truck for the trip
hoping Apple Maps adds the lightning as an EV option for the trip to make it a little easier.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Headed to poconos from south jersey. 252 miles round trip with wife and 3 kids (18 months to 9 years). There’s a few chargers up that way but I’m most worried about increased usage at them. Will be bringing the travel charger and extension cord as a bit of a fail safe.
seriously can’t wait to use the truck for the trip
hoping Apple Maps adds the lightning as an EV option for the trip to make it a little easier.
That's the unknown. Im worried about the Thanksgiving traffic at these stations. I'm sure many people will think "we'll just hit the EA at so and so", but if 50 people think that, it'll be a huge backup.

OP
OP

Aspesi4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
The Scarborough Walmart EA charger isn’t far off the highway but only 2 out of 4 stations were working last Thursday. They are fast though.

The Rowe Auburn 62.5kW chargers work well. It’s also where I bought my truck!

I wound up charging for 20 minutes at Kennebunk’s 62.5kW. Then 10 minutes at Rowe, then another 20 minutes at the 62.5kW chargers at Hannaford in Farmington. Wasn’t ideal but we made it work.
Do you see much activity at the Rowe Charepoints? I'm thinking I may hit this station on the way there or back for a good hour plus knowing there's a Target (make my wife happy) and Applebee's (kids happy) right next to it. There's only two 62.5kw stations. Hoping there's not a few people with the same mindset as me.

data003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Do you see much activity at the Rowe Charepoints? I'm thinking I may hit this station on the way there or back for a good hour plus knowing there's a Target (make my wife happy) and Applebee's (kids happy) right next to it. There's only two 62.5kw stations. Hoping there's not a few people with the same mindset as me.
Nope, always at least one charger free.

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Just got truck Tuesday and have charged twice at Kittery since my FCSP isn’t here yet. First time maxed out at 64kw and second was between 92-98 kw.
Sponsored