• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The cheapest, but definitely not the safest

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
How would reversing the flow of electrons circumvent electrical safety features in a home system?
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
How would reversing the flow of electrons circumvent electrical safety features in a home system?
Breaker is at the wrong end of the circuit and doesn't protect the wiring.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Breaker is at the wrong end of the circuit and doesn't protect the wiring.
If that's a concern, how would that be different in the context of using the correct extension cord from a generator to the home?

And now that we're talking more about it I'm confused on how using a generator "reverses the flow" of electrons. They're moving the same direction they would be if the outside power was a utility company instead of the generator.

Or am I completely confused on the problem here and that the issue is people might be plugging their extension cords into a kitchen outlet, for example, the run the house during a power failure rather than running their main panel from a generator?

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
Or am I completely confused on the problem here and that the issue is people might be plugging their extension cords into a kitchen outlet, for example, the run the house during a power failure rather than running their main panel from a generator?
^^^This^^^
A properly configured panel will not need a male to male cable

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Geek
And now that we're talking more about it I'm confused on how using a generator "reverses the flow" of electrons. They're moving the same direction they would be if the outside power was a utility company instead of the generator.
Actually with Alternating Current (AC) the flow is both ways all the time :)

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Actually with Alternating Current (AC) the flow is both ways all the time :)
That's what I originally thought and why I question what the statement "reversing the flow" of electrons even means.

A properly configured panel will not need a male to male cable
But do you know if they're referring to people plugging an extension into an outlet on the inside of the house? I don't see how using a male to male extension to connect to a main panel is any different from using a male to female extension or female to female extension.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
That's what I originally thought and why I question what the statement "reversing the flow" of electrons even means.

But do you know if they're referring to people plugging an extension into an outlet on the inside of the house? I don't see how using a male to male extension to connect to a main panel is any different from using a male to female extension or female to female extension.
1) A properly installed inlet that accepts the female end has to be properly sized to handle what the generator can deliver. The breaker on the generator will trip before a problem occurs.

2) You can buy a suicide cord that plugs into a 30A generator connection and backfeed a standard 15A home circuit, bypassing the breaker in the main panel. Backfeeding an EVSE receptacle isn’t as bad because it powers the breaker box and the branch circuits in the house are still protected by individual breakers in the panel. The only unprotected wiring is between the EVSE receptacle and the breaker panel.

I do find some humor in the fact that the CSPC implies that a suicide cord can cause CO poisoning. I guess they figure that somebody doing dangerous electrical things will also run their genny indoors!

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
The metal interlocks are cheap and effective. I had the electrician install one and a 30 amp generator plug. Unfortunately the bonded neutral issue is causing it to not work at all.
Has anyone figured out a work around to this problem?
Sponsored