• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The future of Mods - is it in the GUI eventually?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I was thinking about the handling of the lightning, and it seemed like adding airbags like the Rivian would be a good idea.

As I thought on this more; I thought about the rear locker - it’s controlled through a switch in the GUI.

There will come a point in the near future where adding something like airbags to the truck will include an interface with the GUI instead of physical switches.
I don’t think we are there yet; but maybe the new Apple CarPlay will do that?
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
There will come a point in the near future where adding something like airbags to the truck will include an interface with the GUI instead of physical switches.
I don’t think we are there yet; but maybe the new Apple CarPlay will do that?
Well Ford and others may not be there but Tesla has proven it is possible. I don't hate it and truly have liked the minimalistic interior of the 3, but they have proven that everything can be moved to a GUI computer controlled icon. The 3 doesn't have air suspension, but the S does and it is all GUI controlled.

I believe Ford will always retain more physical buttons in the trucks because of the workers that used them. However the surround lighting, etc, GUI controlled and app controlled.

It's hard to realize, but even the windows don't have a switch that truly opens and closes the circuit to the motor. They send a signal to the computer which then opens and closes the circuit to the window motor. This is what allows the windows to be opened and closed remotely from remotes.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
The problem is that 3rd party accessory companies don't have access to modify the GUI menus to add things like air suspension, extra lights, etc. Carplay would still need to interface with some kind of generic I/O ports that accessory manufacturers could tap into, and Ford would need to open some kind of SDK to use those ports. In theory it is possible, but if Tesla is a good litmus test, manufacturers don't want you tinkering in their walled garden.

OP
OP
Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
If the truck has a WIFI hotspot and you can access a browser from the UI, it would be pretty simple to have an ESP32 control whatever device you want. You would need to create a web interface on the ESP32 which is pretty simple, then browse to it in the browser.
Yeah, even better, rig something up with REST.

Heck, it would be nice to have mods running Tasmota....

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would not want to rely on using the vehicle's browser for anything semi-important or frequently accessed.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The problem is that 3rd party accessory companies don't have access to modify the GUI menus to add things like air suspension, extra lights, etc. Carplay would still need to interface with some kind of generic I/O ports that accessory manufacturers could tap into, and Ford would need to open some kind of SDK to use those ports. In theory it is possible, but if Tesla is a good litmus test, manufacturers don't want you tinkering in their walled garden.
Seems there could be a relatively simple way around this, if OEMs wanted to allow it. Set up some contacts somewhere that aftermarket accessories can be connected to with software switches build in (Aux 1, Aux 2, Aux 3, etc.). Functionally this would be the same setup as the factory Aux switches in the Raptor but without the physical switches.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Seems there could be a relatively simple way around this, if OEMs wanted to allow it. Set up some contacts somewhere that aftermarket accessories can be connected to with software switches build in (Aux 1, Aux 2, Aux 3, etc.). Functionally this would be the same setup as the factory Aux switches in the Raptor but without the physical switches.
Seems simple, but the OEM's can barely keep their own systems operational, they don't want anyone else to be able to modify.

I think are you right though, it may just take several years.

Tesla changes their interface too often, and Ford still is ironing out how to do updates. So maybe in a few years.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Seems simple, but the OEM's can barely keep their own systems operational, they don't want anyone else to be able to modify.

I think are you right though, it may just take several years.

Tesla changes their interface too often, and Ford still is ironing out how to do updates. So maybe in a few years.
For what I was thinking, no interface changes would be needed. just add the virtual aux switches into the system from the factory and have them control some pre-installed relays (or other switching device). Accessories can then be added to the relays and controlled from the infotainment without any changes being made to it.

Reactions: GDN

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
As I read the first part of your response, I was thinking the second part. I agree that this would be relatively trivial to accomplish. You'd simply have an electronic switch to open/close via the screen.

Sadly, the truck also doesn't have much in the way of 12v power to work with. Many accessories like a winch or snow plow motor would exceed the 55A that Ford says is available from the LV battery.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As I read the first part of your response, I was thinking the second part. I agree that this would be relatively trivial to accomplish. You'd simply have an electronic switch to open/close via the screen.

Sadly, the truck also doesn't have much in the way of 12v power to work with. Many accessories like a winch or snow plow motor would exceed the 55A that Ford says is available from the LV battery.
We just need 400V accessories! Much lower amp draw! or 120V AC accessories and run off of the inverter.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm just thinking of how thin the wires could be for my 1000w amp if I could hook it up directly to the HV battery... And then thinking of how big the fire will be when I pinch the positive lead under the door sill. :D
Sponsored