• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat, 2023 Mach E Premium AWD
I’ve been slowly reducing our carbon footprint for many years now, and I wanted to extend that to camping. The F150 Lightning is the perfect tool for it. But the all-electric, low-drag, lightweight camper I wanted for the Lightning didn’t exist. So I designed and built my own. I call it the “Lightning Trail”.

It’s not perfect, and I’m still working on things like a front fairing to reduce drag further, graphics to make it less plain, and an inside shower. But overall, it works great. And as hoped, it has a fairly low impact on the Lightning’s range (<15% reduction). We’re hoping to use it a lot this summer.

I’m also working on a video of the construction process if anyone is interested.

Would love to hear your comments.
Sponsored

Attachments

meow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER; 2024 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL
That’s fantastic! Almost just what I’d want for a slide-in, especially retaining the tailgate.

Have you tracked expenses on it? I’d be interested in hearing what it cost to put together.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Really awesome! Looks great on Atlas Blue, but I'm biased. Thanks for including the documentation. Very well thought out..

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Excellent Project. Watched video twice, such good efficient use of space, no lost area, and impressive workmanship. With storage in the frunk and backseat you have a great package. Didn't show, but I assume you have locks holding the roof down?

Please keep us posted as you use it & revise it. Thanks for Posting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MickeyWNC

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Route Coordinator
Wow, excellent. Would love to try to build this as well.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
That’s fantastic. Extremely well designed, even if you learned a little by trial and error.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
Absolutely fantastic! Nice work!

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
You are a genius! I love it. Excellent build and video.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Absolutely OUTSTANDING!! Very professional looking job and excellent usability.

Sponsored

srspring551

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat 2023 ER, delivered 10-28-23
(y):) Very impressed! Awaiting construction video!

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
It looks like you could've gained more Sq. Ft. If you built out over the top rails of the bed. Any reason you chose not to?

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It looks like you could've gained more Sq. Ft. If you built out over the top rails of the bed. Any reason you chose not to?
One of my primary goals was drag reduction to minimize range impact. Building straight up from the rails would have added significantly more camper in the slipstream (sticking out beyond the cab), which means more drag. And since I wanted a north/south bed, a wider bunk didn't buy me much. I considered sloped sides to match the cab profile, but decided there wasn't much gain from that. Thanks for your feedback.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
One of my primary goals was drag reduction to minimize range impact. Building straight up from the rails would have added significantly more camper in the slipstream (sticking out beyond the cab), which means more drag. And since I wanted a north/south bed, a wider bunk didn't buy me much. I considered sloped sides to match the cab profile, but decided there wasn't much gain from that. Thanks for your feedback.
I realize that the build you made will be the future for EV trucks and slide in campers built specifically for them. Reducing the drag by eliminating the normal side foot print was absolutely needed. If your build was out this year from a company, I would have purchased because of the EV matched design. I’m trying to figure out if it would be possible to 3D print a device that could help reduce drag on the sides of a typical drop on, or slide in camper, but the problem of making it secure would have to be figured out. I know the fairing on top will help, but the sides need some work on the campers that are out now. Yours has no problem with drag on the side.

Even if you did this just for yourself it’s a huge accomplishment for a slide in camper on an EV full size truck. I hope someone picks up where you left off, if you have no further plans with your build. Please post updates, I subscribed to your YouTube.
Thank you for sharing with us.

OP
OP
kjhall

kjhall

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I realize that the build you made will be the future for EV trucks and slide in campers built specifically for them. Reducing the drag by eliminating the normal side foot print was absolutely needed. If your build was out this year from a company, I would have purchased because of the EV matched design. I’m trying to figure out if it would be possible to 3D print a device that could help reduce drag on the sides of a typical drop on, or slide in camper, but the problem of making it secure would have to be figured out. I know the fairing on top will help, but the sides need some work on the campers that are out now. Yours has no problem with drag on the side.

Even if you did this just for yourself it’s a huge accomplishment for a slide in camper on an EV full size truck. I hope someone picks up where you left off, if you have no further plans with your build. Please post updates, I subscribed to your YouTube.
Thank you for sharing with us.
Thanks for your kind words - it means a lot.

As others have mentioned, the drag is not just at the front end. It might be worthwhile to have some tapering devices at the rear of a "normal" camper to reduce the "suction" drag, similar to what you see on some tractor trailers. I researched and toyed with this idea on this camper, but decided in the interest of simplicity to leave it off for now. I may try some things in the future.

FYI, I'm working on the construction video right now.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Sponsored