• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tips for selling my current ICE F-150

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
Any tips for where to post, how to market when selling a used truck? Every other vehicle I've either traded or sold so cheap it didn't really matter how I went about selling it.

My current truck is only 5 years old and in great shape. Dealer gave me a rough trade-in value for when my lightning comes in; 83% of what I paid in 2017 which is crazy. However, I know the right private market buyer could get a little bit more money out of the deal.

I've been told the best way to take payment is go to their bank with them, have a cashiers check issued, immediately cash it at their bank. I know not to do money order, cashier's check off-site from bank, or personal check obviously.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Don't forget to check your state laws on sales tax. In NY you only pay tax on the difference between the trade in and purchase price - which can mean quick of bit of savings to offset any benefit of selling privately.

If you do decide to sell, I would recommend going with an online dealer like Vrooom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. You can get a quick quote and they are a large company so you know they will pay up. I have heard they are offering great prices.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Don't forget to check your state laws on sales tax. In NY you only pay tax on the difference between the trade in and purchase price - which can mean quick of bit of savings to offset any benefit of selling privately.

If you do decide to sell, I would recommend going with an online dealer like Vrooom, Carvana, Carmax, etc. You can get a quick quote and they are a large company so you know they will pay up. I have heard they are offering great prices.
I checked vroom and carvana they came down like 4K on my 2019 lariat compared to 1 month ago,
doesnā€™t hurt to check.
though the apparent shipping delay has me holding off putting up for sale.

OP
OP

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
I checked vroom and carvana they came down like 4K on my 2019 lariat compared to 1 month ago,
doesnā€™t hurt to check.
though the apparent shipping delay has me holding off putting up for sale.
Carmax and Carvana gave me terrible offers on my truck compared to dealers and KBB; strangely, Carmax gave us a great offer on my wife's Acadia a few months ago and we took it. I think their algorithms just don't really understand regional differences in truck market; people pay up for a good truck in the Midwest, and they can be hard to find used right now.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Iā€™m in the same boat trying to figure out when to sell my EV to pay for most of my Lightning. I use my EV to make quick 2 day weekly turn around 400 mile trips for work. I donā€™t want to sell it until I get the built and in transit, but afraid it might surprise me and show up early.

I sold my last vehicle by having the buyer go to the bank, where we filled out the DMV paperwork, then going up to the teller and had a cashiers check made out. This time itā€™s going to be for a heck of a lot more $$ so Iā€™m a little worried. Online sites want to give me 8k less than what I could sell it for privately.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I've got a buddy interested in buying my truck, but if that falls through, I plan selling it after the Lightning arrives, might use local adds or fleebaymotors and see what a private buyer is willing to pay.

Using either of these methods negates an opportunity to offset the Mass Sale Tax from a direct to dealer trade-in, but getting higher dollars for a personal sale might exceed the increased sales tax on the new truck (6.25%) of approximately $1500 to $2000!!

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Carmax and Carvana gave me terrible offers on my truck compared to dealers and KBB; strangely, Carmax gave us a great offer on my wife's Acadia a few months ago and we took it. I think their algorithms just don't really understand regional differences in truck market; people pay up for a good truck in the Midwest, and they can be hard to find used right now.
driveway.com gave me offers 7-9k more than carvana did for a few vehicles Iā€™ve checked in the past year.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
driveway.com gave me offers 7-9k more than carvana did for a few vehicles Iā€™ve checked in the past year.
Holy smokes! I just put in my information and they offered me several more thousand than the others.

Did you end up using them? I havenā€™t checked their reviews yet. Thanks!

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Holy smokes! I just put in my information and they offered me several more thousand than the others.

Did you end up using them? I havenā€™t checked their reviews yet. Thanks!
I ended up selling to my friend. Iā€™ve sold to carvana before so I was willing to try another online dealer. Driveway surprised me with the offer and service.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Just got a terrific offer from Driveway.

Are they that reliable and honest ?
Do they wiggle down when they pick up?

Driveway quoted $2,000 more than Carvana or CarMax!
Ford F-150 Lightning Tips for selling my current ICE F-150 Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 10.54.01 AM

Sponsored

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I just sold my 2016 F150 Lariat, 75K miles. I started with getting a quote from shift.com. They gave me an unbelievable price compared to what the dealer, carvana, carmax, etc. would. I then showed the estimate to my local (DFW) Autonation Honda.....They beat that price.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I just sold my 2016 F150 Lariat, 75K miles. I started with getting a quote from shift.com. They gave me an unbelievable price compared to what the dealer, carvana, carmax, etc. would. I then showed the estimate to my local (DFW) Autonation Honda.....They beat that price.
WHOA!

Never thought about Shift - I just got a quote that beat out Driveway.
$9800 Carvana & CarMax
$11439 Driveway
$14000 Shift

I will try and bring the offer to my dealer and see if they can beat it!

Ford F-150 Lightning Tips for selling my current ICE F-150 Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 12.17.19 PM

2000Firehawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Hit them all because they are all over the place on any given day. Carmax, Carvana, Shift, driveway, CarGurus, AutoNation and others.

I recently sold a RAV4 Prime (which has tons of demand) and CarGurus gave me 10% more than the others. However, when I priced a higher spec of the same model and year with 10K lower miles, they came in at a much lower price than the one I sold. Itā€™s crazy what their buying algorithms do some days, but they still take the car.

With CarGurus they didnā€™t even check the car on pickup. A driver comes from somewhere semi-local in a car with another driver. Guy gets out, takes photo of VIN and miles and submits that in the app on their side. A sales order is generated and emailed to you and you e-sign right there on your driveway. Guy gets in your car and drives away - taking it to a receiving dealer who has 48 hours to buy it from CarGurus (actually CarOffers). If they donā€™t, it gets shipped to whatever other dealer wants it. Mine ended up going from Maryland to Seattle

vbaker4444

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select AWD
If you can wait about a month for the process to complete, driveway.com. Absolutely crazy offers that are currently coming from them. Sold my Tacoma to them and did really well.
Sponsored